• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AHC: Royals as permanent Canadian Governors-General

Dan1988

DO! YOU! HEAR THE SONG OF PEACE!
Pronouns
he/him
OK, so in light of recent developments in the Royal Family, in the past there have been calls for members of the Royal Family to become Governors-General in various Commonwealth realms. Royal princes have been few and far between well in the past of at least 2 Commonwealth realms pre-Statute of Westminster, so they've never been an entrenched part of extending the viceregal role overseas. As a result, especially in Canada, most were British aristocrats and even usually Army officers. The question here is thus - how can we make having Royal Family members as Governors-General of Canada as a permanent feature?

OK, so in light of recent developments in the Royal Family, in the past there have been calls for members of the Royal Family to become Governors-General in various Commonwealth realms. Royal princes have been few and far between well in the past of at least 2 Commonwealth realms pre-Statute of Westminster, so they've never been an entrenched part of extending the viceregal role overseas. As a result, especially in Canada, most were British aristocrats and even usually Army officers. The question here is thus - how can we make having Royal Family members as Governors-General of Canada as a permanent feature?
I don't know why, but my first thought was George, Duke of Kent. If he'd survived or avoided his otl plane crash, I'm not sure he'd have been terribly well suited to being a respectable uncle to a young queen Elizabeth in the fifties. Not that we know an awful lot about George, mind, but what we do know suggests he was closer to his eldest brother in temperament than he was to Bertie and Henry. Maybe an appointment in Canada would give him a bit of breathing space?

I don't know why, but my first thought was George, Duke of Kent. If he'd survived or avoided his otl plane crash, I'm not sure he'd have been terribly well suited to being a respectable uncle to a young queen Elizabeth in the fifties. Not that we know an awful lot about George, mind, but what we do know suggests he was closer to his eldest brother in temperament than he was to Bertie and Henry. Maybe an appointment in Canada would give him a bit of breathing space?

Looking at his Wikipedia profile now, and it seems like that he could possibly work in starting off the precedent which would move beyond just mere aristocrats and Army officers. So that could work, and in that case would butterfly Lord Alexander of Tunis' OTL viceregal career in Canada. As the Governor-General serves at His/Her Majesty's pleasure (the 5-year term plus potential for renewal is a modern convention), he could serve as long or as short as the monarch (in reality, the Royal Family in general on advice of the Prime Minister) wants/needs.

Back