• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Africa during the Scramble: The Man behind the Mahdi

Just pumping these out at the moment- no complaints, they're great.

Was there a hole in the schedule or something?

Kind of, I wrote these back in July and then a month ago it looked like they'd be a three article gap this fortnight so I plugged then in. I did actually get an article last week from @M_Kresal which I could have used to fill up one of those slots but I thought I might as well run the three as a serial, because the alternative is to see two of them now and then the third in the next slot (which at the moment is probably around Christmas) and they're very much one article split into three.

The Scramble of Africa articles are always basically schedule fillers, they don't have a reserved spot, which is why they're so scattershot in terms of turning up. I have another 5 currently written up which you'll see at some point.

Loving this series, will you get into more about Ethiopia?

Possibly. So I've already written an article about the two Italian invasions. And the next article 'Poetry in the Desert' which will be up probably around the 20th of December covers the Ethiopia occupation of the Ogaden.

But honestly so many of these articles are basically surface takes, that once I've done the broad outlines, I might want to dive in a little deeper into some areas I've skimmed over. And Ethiopia would be an obvious choice for that. There's such a lot you can say.

Another WI, this one a bit selfishly Eurocentric: if an independent Sudan endures, either through Gordon not going or another of the options you suggested, would a lack of reputation for Kitchener make it so he doesn't organize the New Army or at least doesn't do so unhampered and so his disastrous ideas are mitigated somewhat or even avoided?

Back