• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Africa during the Scramble: The Herero, the Nama and the Germans Part 2

Also I'm expecting if the US got to the Congo first, it might be a US where there's still a thought of "wouldn't black Americans be happier back in their real home?" so you'd get a whole extra nasty thing

Also I'm expecting if the US got to the Congo first, it might be a US where there's still a thought of "wouldn't black Americans be happier back in their real home?" so you'd get a whole extra nasty thing
Well, if Liberia is any evidence, the Anglo-Africans end up trying to lord it over the uncivilized savages.

Edit: Oh God, this is where we'd get the land hungry settlers, isn't it? Some stupid government program to give black Americans land in the Congo.

Dear God, the mortality rates in Liberia were bad enough as it was. Of the American migrants to Liberia between 1820-1843, around 60% of them were dead by 1843. Mortality rates were even worse for children.

I shudder to imagine how bad that would be if there was "encouragement" for black Americans to emigrate to an American Congo.

Two things: I'm surprised you didn't mention the Nazi connection to the Herero and Nama Genocide, and secondly, I have somewhere on my phone a picture of a Northern Rhodesian newspaper complaining that the original explorers of the area didn't claim Katanga for Britian.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Nazi connection to the Herero and Nama Genocide.

One of the little things about the way African history is recorded I resent is the way it has to justify its own importance by emphasising how events in Africa affected other continents. So the Herero genocide is important because of the way it foreshadowed the shoah and not because of how it changed Namibia.

I'm trying not to fall into that trap myself. I'd rather look at the effects of the genocide on the Herero than the effects on the Germans.

One of the little things about the way African history is recorded I resent is the way it has to justify its own importance by emphasising how events in Africa affected other continents. So the Herero genocide is important because of the way it foreshadowed the shoah and not because of how it changed Namibia.

I'm trying not to fall into that trap myself. I'd rather look at the effects of the genocide on the Herero than the effects on the Germans.

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Maybe, when this series wraps up, that might be the appropriate time for an article on connections elsewhere. You're quite right about how Africa first and foremost affected Africa, but it's also important to break down the idea many people have that Africa was only ever acted upon.

Back