• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Africa During the Scramble: Prodigal Sons

This article, and the last, were originally meant to be included in the liberia article as background but I had a lot to say so here we go. I do think its a bit scattershot as a result without clear conclusions but the alternative is a 15,000 word article.

You can normally work out which articles I'm researching by my posts in the pub and I had a nice conversation with @Thande about the Kongo deal when I first encountered it. One of the few things I learned while writing this series which I genuinely had no clue about it happening before hand and something I found fascinating.

Fantastic stuff as always Gary. Looking forward to the next one - will be interesting to compare Liberia's history with these nominally similar stories.

Going by that last paragraph, I suppose Ethiopia is the closest we came to an African country remaining independent throughout the colonial period, only disqualified by a few years under Mussolini?

Back