• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

A U.S. city that never was [almost but not quite AH]

Burton K Wheeler

Itinerant Frontier Hobo
@Burton K Wheeler Do you have JSTOR access? This article by Dorothy Johansen looks at how West Coast states developed different cultural characters. It's a little speculative but might be a good read for your project.

(TLDR: Early settlers' state of origin is important, and so is how the territory was marketed - California was sold as an adventure, the Willamette Valley as a comfortable land of plenty.)
I don't have JSTOR access. I'll have to give more thought to state of origin, but I kind of like the idea that as the only West Coast state without a productive agricultural hinterland, Jefferson will have a more rough and tumble frontier mindset than the others. I also want it to be vaguely Mid-Atlantic in the same way that Washington is vaguely Yankee and California is vaguely southern (at least rural and white working-class California).

In addition black Californians are distinctively Texas and Mississippi in the same way Midwestern black people are from the Mississippi valley and and east coast black people are from the Carolinas and Georgia. Not sure exactly where I'll say Port Franklin's black migration came from, maybe directly by railroad from Mississippi via Chicago?

Burton K Wheeler

Itinerant Frontier Hobo
Another Jefferson thought is that when the South Pass railroad is completed, Port Franklin becomes Utah's outlet to the sea. That's probably enough to give it a bit of its own 19th-century identity, though I'll have to look into when exactly the Jefferson/Utah connection would work best.

It wouldn't work for the original settlers to be Mormons because in that case the Federal government would be skeptical of giving them their own territory. Also I want the identity to be Quaker-ish, and the attitude Mormons had toward blacks, for one, wouldn't really be compatible.

Avalanches

darkly horny
Another Jefferson thought is that when the South Pass railroad is completed, Port Franklin becomes Utah's outlet to the sea. That's probably enough to give it a bit of its own 19th-century identity, though I'll have to look into when exactly the Jefferson/Utah connection would work best.

It wouldn't work for the original settlers to be Mormons because in that case the Federal government would be skeptical of giving them their own territory. Also I want the identity to be Quaker-ish, and the attitude Mormons had toward blacks, for one, wouldn't really be compatible.
I might have missed this earlier in the thread, but what’s the racial makeup of Port Franklin?

Burton K Wheeler

Itinerant Frontier Hobo
I might have missed this earlier in the thread, but what’s the racial makeup of Port Franklin?
I want Port Franklin to be generically American in it demographics. Currently thinking it's a merged city-county government like Philadelphia or San Francisco so you have a lot of postwar suburbs inside the city limits (to keep up the anytown, USA identity). Something like:

White 40%
Hispanic 25%
Black 20%
Asian 9%
ME/SA 3%
Native 2%
Pacific Islander 1%

That would be in line with 2050 American demographics or with medium West Coast cities like Anchorage or Las Vegas. Having deep-rooted ethnic communities would work fine. I don't want Port Franklin to be as white as Portland, something more like Seattle.

A more rough and tumble mentality is likely to develop a politics somewhat similar to Nevada - much more libertarian than California, both socially and economically.

Also, a community like that so close to the Oregon state line is bpund to attract black people who want the experience of the Willamette Valley, but can't due to Oregon's historic fanatical antipathy to black people.

So I can see Jefferson, despite its status as a frontier western state, to be relatively early in terms of things like civil rights, and might even try to compete with Reno as the divorce capital of America. Probably a lot of vices would be also legal (to attract daytrippers from Portland or even San Francisco).

Burton K Wheeler

Itinerant Frontier Hobo
A more rough and tumble mentality is likely to develop a politics somewhat similar to Nevada - much more libertarian than California, both socially and economically.

Also, a community like that so close to the Oregon state line is bpund to attract black people who want the experience of the Willamette Valley, but can't due to Oregon's historic fanatical antipathy to black people.

So I can see Jefferson, despite its status as a frontier western state, to be relatively early in terms of things like civil rights, and might even try to compete with Reno as the divorce capital of America. Probably a lot of vices would be also legal (to attract daytrippers from Portland or even San Francisco).
I like that a lot. Maybe not quite as consciously a vice destination as Nevada, but with Oregon's prickly individualism and without the racism.

The western states were ahead of the curve on women's suffrage, though racial civil rights were a mixed bag. I think if you have a post Civil war black community plus a staunchly Republican government in that era, you'd be more racially progressive than California or Oregon.

I like that a lot. Maybe not quite as consciously a vice destination as Nevada, but with Oregon's prickly individualism and without the racism.

The western states were ahead of the curve on women's suffrage, though racial civil rights were a mixed bag. I think if you have a post Civil war black community plus a staunchly Republican government in that era, you'd be more racially progressive than California or Oregon.
It's worth noting that Rogue Valley was probably the most racist part of the state IOTL - there was a lot of pro-Confederate feeling there during the Civil War, mostly due to being settled later by Southern miners rather than Midwestern farmers like the Willamette Valley was, and some towns (Jacksonville and Grants Pass in particular iirc) were sundown towns until recently. You'd have to have your Quakers promote an equivalent of the Applegate Trail vigorously among their own folks to ensure they outnumber Southerners seeking gold.

The Applegates, as prominent Republicans in Southern Oregon, might be important figures in your backstory.

Burton K Wheeler

Itinerant Frontier Hobo
It's worth noting that Rogue Valley was probably the most racist part of the state IOTL - there was a lot of pro-Confederate feeling there during the Civil War, mostly due to being settled later by Southern miners rather than Midwestern farmers like the Willamette Valley was, and some towns (Jacksonville and Grants Pass in particular iirc) were sundown towns until recently. You'd have to have your Quakers promote an equivalent of the Applegate Trail vigorously among their own folks to ensure they outnumber Southerners seeking gold.

The Applegates, as prominent Republicans in Southern Oregon, might be important figures in your backstory.
Well, there's my initial Jefferson settlers right there. Not exactly sure how I'd have them beefing with Oregon settlers enough to make a separate territory. I'd like to have a few more Republican types in southern Oregon a bit earlier, but the idea of guys who settle in the Tolowa valley and then claim the northern goldfields is pretty much what I'm looking for.

Well, there's my initial Jefferson settlers right there. Not exactly sure how I'd have them beefing with Oregon settlers enough to make a separate territory. I'd like to have a few more Republican types in southern Oregon a bit earlier, but the idea of guys who settle in the Tolowa valley and then claim the northern goldfields is pretty much what I'm looking for.
Word. I don't know how in depth you're planning to go with this but there's a family history of the Applegates called Skookum written by one of their great-granddaughters or something that's pretty easy to get ahold of.