• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

2013 Intervention in Syria

lerk

What if the crisis sparked by the Ghouta attack in 2013 led to the US intervening in Syria? This will surely lead to a fall of the Assad regime, but what will the aftermath of it be?

Alongside what would happen in Syria I wonder what this will mean for American power abroad. Assad's victory really hurt American prestige. A successful intervention into Syria will change how America reacts to crises in the future, such as the Iraqi Civil War (which was going to happen regardless of what will happen in Syria), Russian intervention in Ukraine, and how America will deal with Iran.

I wonder how Russia is going to fare-they've lost one big foreign policy gamble at this point. Maybe without the boost from Syria and Obama losing his nerve(?) they'll be more cautious about Ukraine?

*I put this in question mark because my overly Obama-friendly hunch is that we won't really have a good grasp what happened until a lot of diplomatic stuff gets declassified.

Back