• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. M

Honorary AH: Hugo Bettauer's "The City without Jews"

This story was published between the world wars. Bettauer was a Viennese bestseller author at that time, more famous for criminal novels. This one, however, is different. It's set shortly into the (1920s') future of Austria, which suffers under the post-WW1 malaise, like hyperinflation (even if...
  2. M

Anybody read "Shadow of Montreux"?

I only know the parts which were posted at the Other Place. And while I don't actually love it, it's certainly unique the way it is. The decisive point - Nazi Germany making war with Italy and Austria in 1936 and actually losing - is hard to swallow. But if you want fascism to survive and be...
  3. M

Stephen King's "11/22/63"

Or "Der Anschlag", as I read the German translation. Anyone else read it? I'd expect there are more fans here, you can't get much more mainstream than Stephen King. (JKR?)
  4. M

Why do people keep talking about Lord Halifax as PM in 1940?

IOTL he even once said he couldn't even become PM, since he was a member of the House of Lords. Which obviously contradicts that the PM has to be from the House of Commons. Don't people know that? Or would that problem be easily solved if he really wanted to?
  5. M

Published SLP fiction for a German AH wiki

Took the freedom to make this: Sea Lion Press Those are the TLs I read and have a good memory of. Any other suggestions?
  6. M

Should I read the Small Change trilogy?

Sure, I've heard about it, but how is it? - As AH and as fiction.
  7. M

"Yesterday's future" by Harry Mulisch

(Cross-posted at another place. Not that other place, though.) In the 1990s, or maybe the early 2000s, I discovered the book - must've been after it was translated into German in 1995. The Dutch original is called "De toekomst van gisteren". It's a strange book: although the author put ten...
  8. M

The Female Man

There's one thing you have to understand about me: When I'm bored and have a halfway good book around, I'll read it front to back. Even if it's from a genre many people'd tell me "A guy like you shouldn't read that!" In this case, feminist SF. To be precise, Joanna Russ' book, which uses four...
  9. M

Dori Bangs

Years ago (pre-AH, even) I was very much interested in anything about the underground comic artist Dori Seda. Hence, I found this Bruce Sterling story. As "4 3 2 1" (see other thread), it's a kind of "person-centered AH". In this case, about Dori and Lester Bangs, that music critic of "Almost...
  10. M

Pop culture and the butterfly effect

Many AH authors completely ignore culture, but that's not the point here. The question is: What would happen to the pop culture (because this one would be in bigger danger in ATLs than older culture), if you are strict about the butterfly effect? Let's say, your PoD is in WW2, maybe the Nazis...
  11. M

WI Helmut Kohl wins the German federal election in 1976?

While I'm still no real Kohl fan, I had the idea and wanted to share it. As said elsewhere, we don't have many TLs centered on post-war German politics. The federal election in 1976 was very close - Helmut Schmidt's Social Democrats and Genscher's Liberals had a majority of just ten. Could have...
  12. M

Wikis as resources - and for TL background

If you know about me, you may know that I'm also an admin (Don't be afraid) at the AltHist Fandom wiki (ex-Wikia) here. Why I'm so deep into it? I'm a programmer, and I like wikis. And I like how you can use them to organize your TL material in a way that's harder to do if you have nothing but...
  13. M

"London Wall"/"Eiserne Mauer"/"The Shameful Suicide of Winston Churchill" by Peter Millar

This book I read some time ago, but wanted to write a bit about it. Originally written with the first title, it saw some success in the German translation and later was re-published under the third title. The AH background: Stalin's troops advance much farther, and even manage what the Nazis...
  14. M

How many Sixes does Adolf Nazi have to Roll?

During the time of my absence, I didn't think too much about AH. Well, until I had this idea... You know from my time at the other place, that I like big AH projects. Now Jaredia proved to be a little too big, but still. The PoD wouldn't be as original as the death of Genghis Khan of course...
  15. M

"4 3 2 1" by Paul Auster

Not joking: This New Yorker author who is usually considered quite highbrow wrote some book that we might call at least honorary AH. If that shouldn't be that obvious when reading it, consider that it's a kind of AH that centers on the life of a single person, a certain Archie Ferguson, member...
  16. M

George Soros becomes an Israeli general

Just a crazy idea I had. Let's say, in 1947, at age 17, Soros doesn't emigrate from Hungary to England but to soon-to-be Israel. During their war of independence, he has to fight, and comes to the conclusion that this is the best he can do for his people. So he stays a professional soldier and...
Back