• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. D

ISOT A Modern Mississippi Riverboat

My wife and I went on a Mississippi riverboat cruise earlier this summer. The riverboat, the Twilight, can carry up to 130 passengers, actually a few more in a pinch, but they like a maximum of 130. Ours was the first tour of the season and had around 70 passengers. Apparently, the boat usually...
  2. D

Tuesday Alternate History # 44: AH Challenge: Neanderthals Win, We Lose

For the last year or two I've been posting mostly weekly Alternate History scenarios on my blog. The latest one, number 44, has the Neanderthals winning their competition with our ancestors and eventually swamping them genetically. How? Until fairly late in the game, Neanderthals could...
  3. D

Earth Swap: The Stone Library Of Venus

A couple of days ago, I finally published my 13th novel on Amazon. It's sort of cross between a very big ISOT and Alternate History. All of modern day Earth finds itself in a different solar system, one where humans got to space tens of thousands of years ago, following in the footsteps of a...
  4. D

The Old World's Interrupted Trajectory

I've recently started a "Tuesday Evening Alternate History" column on my blog. This is a pale shadow of the Alternate History Newsletters I did for a little over a decade ending in 2011, but hopefully they're worth reading. This is the latest column. Several years ago, I did a long, detailed...
  5. D

Second book of the New Galveston Series is Now Available

The Kindle version of my alternate history novel New Galveston Book Two: The Wild East is now available. The Amazon link is: https://www.amazon.com/New-Galveston-Wild-Dale-Cozort-ebook/dp/B094YVL9KY/ What is it about? In February 1939, just before World War II, the US Navy returned from a...
  6. D

Space Bats & Butterflies - Book One

I recently published the Kindle version of a compilation of the best AH scenarios and stories from my AH Zine "Dale Cozort's Alternate History Newsletter", which I recently renamed "Space Bats & Butterflies." From the blurb: Seventeen of the best alternate history or time-travel stories, book...
  7. D

Roaming Rome

Brainstorming session: Obviously, Rome needs to travel the sea of time, to rip off SM Stirling’s excellent book. Which Rome, though and where do we want to put it? Which Rome? Rome during the Punic Wars has its attraction, as does the late Republic, maybe on the eve of Julius Caesar’s...
  8. D

Making The Thirty Years War Worse

While I researched a couple other scenarios, it hit me that I hadn’t realized deep down just how badly the war tore at the infrastructure and people of European civilization—millions dead out of a relatively small population, areas devastated again and again by armies living off the land and the...
  9. D

Philippines Holds Out Until Rescued

What could have changed to make holding out somewhat more feasible? The most obvious one was planning from the start to make a stand on the Bataan Peninsula and positioning supplies for that stand. Holding out on the Bataan peninsula had long been the preferred US strategy, but MacArthur...
  10. D

Gustavus Adolphus Doesn’t Die in 1632 at the Battle of Lutzen

Note: I haven’t read much of Eric Flint’s 1632 series—forty or fifty pages into the first one, so I might be stepping into an already thoroughly mined area here. With that in mind: This one takes a bit of explanation if you aren’t into this period of European history. Gustavus was a Swedish...
  11. D

George Villiers Survives the Assassination Attempt

Villiers was an interesting figure, handsome and capable of extraordinary feats of self-promotion. He was also apparently personally corrupt and rather inept as a military leader. He became King James I of England’s closest adviser, in a relationship that was rumored to go beyond friendship...
  12. D

Guild of Spies

I read this quite a while ago, but for some reason it stuck in my mind. It's sort of on the margins of AH. The novel doesn't point to a specific point of divergence, but Albion is recognizably Britain and Tem is recognizably China, though neither of them directly correlate to the kings, emperors...
  13. D

A Different Outcome to the Russo-Kazan Wars

From 1438 to 1552, the Khanate of Kazan fought a series of wars with the Russian state expanding around Moscow. In the early wars, Kazan was often more than a match for the Russians, forcing the Tsar to flee Moscow or in one case defeating his army and capturing him. The balance shifted...
  14. D

The Barbary Pirates: From Annoyance to Menace

The Barbary pirates were mostly Moslem pirates and raiders who operated out of Algiers, Tunis and Tripoli. They reached the peak of their power in the early to mid-1600s, aided by Dutch renegades, some of whom converted to Islam. The pirates enslaved tens and probably hundreds of thousands of...
  15. D

Mamluk Egypt Survives or Falls Faster:

The Mamluks were a major power in the Middle East, with a base in Egypt and control into Syria. In the 1490s they fought the Ottomans to a stalemate. Then, around 1516, the Ottomans came back for a rematch and destroyed the Mamluks as a independent power They continued as Ottoman subjects into...
Back