• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. S

Public Enemy, a comedy(!) set shortly after the Catalan Referendum of 2017

Thank you! You wouldn't believe how much work it was to get it to look right...
  2. S

Public Enemy, a comedy(!) set shortly after the Catalan Referendum of 2017

On 1st October 2017 the Catalans went to the poles to vote on independence from Spain. The Spanish government didn’t like that very much and tried everything they could to stop it. Among other things, they sent thousands of police officers who attacked voters and broke down doors in an attempt...
  3. S

"The Black Book" by Simon Brading, out now.

I love it when that happens! I made my London and Barcelona very recognisable in the Displacers series, even sneaking in my grandparents actual house for one location!
  4. S

Interview: Simon Brading

But it's something that happens so much in real life, both ways - Van Damme and Jackie Chan to name a couple of not so well known examples... But yes, the dancer (usually female) who can kick their way through the highly-trained bad guys is a bit overused, especially in bad 80's movies.
  5. S

Hey! Don't count out the airships!
  6. S

Women pilots in the Royal Aviator Corps is actually explained in the books... you just have to read them all to piece together how!
  7. S

Sorry, yes, I did misunderstand! I'd had a long day.
  8. S

I suppose we write what we know, or at least what we can relate to. The hardest parts of my writing are always the bits that are necessary, but that involve things that I have no experience with.
  9. S

Threadmarks: Update

Just a quick update - The Black Book is now available in both PAPERBACK and HARDCOVER for those few analogue readers still out there!
  10. S

I've studied martial arts for more than 20 years, took Japanese language classes at university, have read a lot about Japanese history, worked in Japan as a ballet dancer and am a fan of Samurai films and (some) Japanese literature... I have always wanted to act in a swords and samurai kind of...
  11. S

Threadmarks: The world of "The Black Book" and the "Two Books" series.

The series is set in a Japan that finds itself alone in the world after barely surviving a nuclear war which destroyed everyone else. Most of Japan was left an uninhabitable wasteland, but an experimental shield technology protected the centre of the country, including Tokyo and Kyoto. The...
  12. S

Hello all! I have a new book out now, "The Black Book", the first in a new series set in a post-apocalyptic Japan. Kayo Watanabe is a champion gymnast and the daughter of the next prime minister of Japan, but that won’t help her survive in the violence and lawlessness of the Black Book. There...
  13. S

Misfit Squadron Q & A

It was Tsar Nicolas's decision to change the name from Russia to sound less like Prussia when the war broke out. I guess he thought that Rus still sounded too much like it and went with Muscovy.
  14. S

Misfit Squadron Q & A

Well, there's a long and complicated answer involving social change driven by steam- and spring-powered agriculture and industry making society richer and less work-focussed, which in turn enables culture and education and makes people more satisfied with their rulers... but the short answer is...
  15. S

Misfit Squadron Q & A

Well, I knew that a fighter aircraft with half decent performance could not be steam-powered, so I really just considered alternatives. Springs seemed obvious as a technology with immense potential that could easily have been developed for centuries and which (hint hint) might have been a...
  16. S

Misfit Squadron Q & A

Most books I write I have an initial idea and I run with it and see where the characters take me. That way the story that comes out is often as much a surprise to me as the reader. It was like that with the Misfits initially - I knew that I wanted to start with the Battle of Britain but had...
  17. S

Misfit Squadron Q & A

If anyone has a question about the Misfit Squadron series then please post here. It doesn't matter whether it's related to the story, technology, characters or the world itself, I will do my best to satisfy your curiosity. As long as it doesn't spoil anything from existing or future books!
  18. S

Free Books

Nice review! Thank you very much!
  19. S

Free Books

The promotion has now finished, unfortunately... Thank you to everyone who grabbed a copy, I hope you enjoy it and please, if you do, leave a review!
  20. S

Free Books

Thank you all!
Back