• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. F

WI: Israel annexes Bethlehem and Ramallah after 1967

In my experience this is part of the reason Melkites (in the broad sense, both Orthodox and Catholic) often don't get along with non-Melkite Christians as much as you would think. Unlike say, Assyrians/Chaldeans, they're more likely to have no problem saying they have an Arab ethnic identity...
  2. F

First in the Nation - Arizona?

Yeah, agribusiness was (and to some extent still is) a force in Arizona as well, only instead of corn, it's cotton and alfalfa.
  3. F

Max's election maps and assorted others

From what I got, the National Assembly was composed of the following: 10 members to be appointed by the King, 35 members (at least 3 of whom at any time should be women) elected by the House of Representatives on an STV basis, 15 members, 3 from each Development Region, elected by Electoral...
  4. F

Writing AH. Anachronisms Part 6. War. Huh. What is it named for?

With the Second World War, of course, in Russia and its satellites especially it is known as the Great Patriotic War (Ukraine used to as well, before changing all references to "The Second World War" on the premise that it wouldn't do for Ukrainians to be patriotic about the Soviet Union). The...
  5. F

Here they are, with constituency names, too.
  6. F

Thatcher-In-Rhodesia

None at the time of UDI, though one had been elected in the previous parliament for the UFP.
  7. F

WI: Galician Greek Catholic Ukrainians to Poland after WWII

The problem is that Stalin justified his annexation of Eastern galicia and Volhynia as vindicating Ukrainian wishes to be re-united into one state. So deporting Ukrainians to Poland, well, doesn't look good. On that train of thought, Greek-Catholics had a disproportionate influence ob the...
  8. F

I have one for the 1989 General election for an alt-hist South Africa RPG/EG. If @Ares96 is Ok with it I can share it in this thread.
  9. F

Also, this was helped/hurt by the divisions of the pro-life movement between those forces (tacitly supoorted by the Catholic hierarchy) for rolling it back through vatious reforms and obtaining favorable judges, and a more radical wing (mostly led by lay activists, often to the exasperation of...
  10. F

Sport in Alternate History. Part 1.

Not to mention just normal strategizing - in the books it's implied that Harry is unusually good at seeking, otherwise it might be possible to make it so that a team would win regardless of who takes the Snitch,
  11. F

Independent Tannu Tuva

Though if it is a Soviet satellite not much will likely change internally in the postwar years prior to the fall of Communism. Once that happens though, they will likely be at the mercy of copper, zinc and lead prices, and while likely remaining independent it would be dependent on Russian...
  12. F

Roe 80% Overturned in Casey (1992)

I still think it would fire up the pro-choicers, kind of like the way it did to a limited extent with Dobbs. Even if legally it's the dead center of what your average American voter wants, by this time the fight over abortion is also a fight over cultural symbolism, progress vs reaction, "get...
  13. F

Alternate Holidays and Holiday Customs.

Also IIRC in some parts of Western Ukraine the holiday is also controversial, partly for religious reasons (the aforementioned attempt to get rid of Christmas) and partly because it's seen as a Russian imposition.
  14. F

Parade Your Vocabulary

IIRC sprogs earlier referred to green troops. So kind of a vicious circle of slang there. Though as a Yank, I find it funny that crayon-munchers refer to Army infantry. Here, that term is referred to Marines (or so my Navy friends tell me).
  15. F

WI: Saddam dies in 2001

On the latter, I don't think the Peshmerga is going to just sit and take being invaded by the literal Turkish Army.
  16. F

WI: Saddam dies in 2001

Qusay was in charge of the Fedayeen Saddam, but the problem is the Fedayeen are from a military standpoint dogshit (massacring Shia women and children don't count), it took ad-Douri to whip them up as a nucleus for the Early Insurgency. Qusay is smart, but not that smart. By 2001 Uday was in...
  17. F

If the US recognized the Philippine Republic's independence instead of annexing it, would another country have colonized it?

It would probably be still part of the American sphere of influence, just not actually run by the Americans. One likely social change would be a lesser rebound of the influence and moral authority of the Catholic Church. Before the Americans, the Church in the Philippines was in deep crisis -...
  18. F

US high-speed rail

Yeah, the problem is Orange County is in the way, so you'd either be dealing with suburbanites pissed off at a huge train line in the middle of their suburb, or through various state and national parks, some of which can be pretty hilly, which will piss off environmentalists, or through a...
  19. F

US Politics if the Upper South transitions away from slavery

If the Virginia Plan is institutionalized, it seems like at least in the short to medium term that you'd create essentially a peonage system.
  20. F

Political and cultural figures who could've had lives/careers in different countries

Party meetings would be something else, man. In the meanwhile, Loretta Sanchez is laughing her ass off.
Back