• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. G

Alternate History General Discussion

Yeah, I noticed a bit back earlier in the thread there was a question of what's the third most popular AH setting after Nazi or Confederate victory and while there are popular choices I don't think there's another third one that's as ubiquitous as the former two.
  2. G

Alternate History General Discussion

I think another reason is the popularity of WW2 and the ACW as just general history topics means regardless of what POD one picks it will probably already have a built-in contingent of people who say it's completely implausible, so easier to go with a less-trodden subject.
  3. G

Marx in Texas (Tex-Marx?)

Marx becomes the Fastest Red in the West.
  4. G

Least favorite alt-history story?

For worst published AH, I've read than it's probably Harry Harrison's Stars and Stripes trilogy. There's no shortage of bad Alternate Civil War stories, both professional and fan made, but this will probably remained burned in my mind for how mind numbing it got for me. Probably also where my...
  5. G

This guy's work, The Probability Approach, was actually the first Alternate History work I ever discovered on my own (before even Turtledove or Stirling). The thing that stopped me from reading though was 13 year old me found the POD to be kind of stupid.
  6. G

Yeah, that's where I jumped off. I think it was one of the only things where there was serious pushback from the audience on it.
  7. G

I wouldn't say worse (since I tend to be selective on what AH fiction read so I only have a small pool of reference) but AH fiction I've had the biggest change of opinion on towards the negative would be Rumsfeldia. I haven't read the original FLG in a while but I remember liking it as an...
  8. G

It's likely extrapolated from that Lee was a proponent late in the war for slaves to be allowed to enlist in the army given the depleted White male manpower reserves. And that in some of Lee's personal papers he notes that slavery had some cruel elements to it. Of course, Lee thought slavery...
  9. G

Scenes We'd Like To See: Alternate Movies, Television & Other Pop Culture Miscellanea

Fox had been interested in going back to Planet of the Apes since the 80s and so there was lot of false starts and potential remakes/alternate sequels to the original film that came up in between the end of the original series and the Burton remake. One would have been an alternate sequel to...
  10. G

Scenes We'd Like To See: Alternate Movies, Television & Other Pop Culture Miscellanea

There were plans to adapt The Last Full Measure during the production of Gods and Generals so by the end, along with Gettysburg there would be a completely trilogy of the Eastern Theater of the ACW but the critical panning and box office bombing of G&G put all stops to that. It's probably for...
  11. G

Incredibly pat historical occurrences

Francis Scott Key's grandson, Frank Key Howard, was arrested during the Civil War for his critical newspapers of the Lincoln administration's suspension of habaes corpus and arrests without warrants. He would initially be imprisoned in Fort McHenry, the same fort where his grandfather composed...
  12. G

This and the Falcon Cannot Hear are why I don't really care for the Second Civil War trope in Alternate History.
  13. G

Actors who ran for office or were approached to?

Jesse Ventura winning the Minnesota governship led to a bunch of wrestlers trying a run at politics at the time and continues on and off to this day, most recently Glen Jacobs becoming Mayor of Knox County, Tennessee. Failed ones have been Bob Backlund running for Congress in 2000 in...
Back