• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. M

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

This is very stupid but I decided I wanted to do it before someone else did. No it doesn't make any sense even as parody. Kings Can Only Get Better "...but after nearly 50 years on the throne, it's out with Queen Elizabeth and in with King Tony. Britain has a new Royal Family - the Labour...
  2. M

Alternate Wikibox Thread

From a game on the Other Place, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out so figured I'd drop it here:
  3. M

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

Not in shocklingly good taste and apologies if its already been posted but this from Tennessee's referendum to officially ban all forms of indentured servitude in the state constitution looks like its from a particularly grim/lazy CSA TL.
  4. M

ChatGPT and creating alternate history

Ah I can see its an emotive issue, I'm not trying to proselytize just sharing my experiences. I'm sorry if I offended you.
  5. M

Ah but the thing is if I search it on Bard or ChatGPT it always gives me something and 90% of the time its accurate. A lot of OE (and other rare language) dictionaries online are really really lacking and many that don't include a dedicated translation service can be achingly difficult to trawl...
  6. M

I've found ChatGPT and Bard both pretty useless at writing the history itself and I haven't used it for that at all, it does to me seem to take out the joy of the thing. Art without an artist isn't really art at all. BUT I have found it helpful for my TL/Game on the other place, which revolves...
  7. M

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Oh my god I just got it. "Rotuerottelu"?
  8. M

When is the earliest we can get a "Great War"?

This is a very interesting point, do you think there is any hope that earlier methods (Birkeland–Eyde) could substitute or is it simply too inefficient?
  9. M

When is the earliest we can get a "Great War"?

So the "Great War" is a tried and tested AH trope - the WW1 equivalent when industrial warfare reaches such a point that a multilateral Great Power Conflict becomes that horrific, bloody slog usually replete with trenches, rapid technological advancement, machine guns, early aerial warfare and...
  10. M

Why was Europe, and Britain in particular, so relatively "chill" about the ascension of Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte to power?

Napoleon III specifically was also a pretty well known Anglophile. He'd lived in Britain for several years, he knew and was on good terms with people like Disraeli (not yet of massive importance but still), he was a big part of London social life. There are places in London proud of their...
  11. M

The Twenty-First HoS List Challenge

This is an absolutely wonderful list but I never in my life thought I'd see Brahma Mohanty on a SLP list. I think that makes him the fourth person I know from real life to make their way into a list like this.
  12. M

Major Crimson Graphics and Test Thread
    Threadmarks: 750 Years of Aenglund

We are now, to my great shock, three quarters of the way through our history of Ænglund and, once again, I hope here to take a quick break. Since the last retrospective like this, we have come two and a half centuries and covered the total transformation not only of Ænglund but of the world...
  13. M

The Biweekly Wikibox Challenge - Round I

Congrats everyone! Was a really cool start to the contest and I'm chuffed to have won (even if I did cheat a little with the three boxes :P )
  14. M

The Biweekly Wikibox Challenge - Round I

The Fifth Constitutional Cycle of the Russian Covenant The Fifth Constitutional Cycle of the Russian Covenant consisted of several stages. In accordance with the Generational Compact sealed by the Young Russia Party in the Revolution of 1870, the Russian Covenant's constitutions are subject to...
  15. M

AH Run-downs, summaries and general gubbins

This is from like three weeks ago but I still thought I'd reply. It's a consequence of the TL starting more as a weird thought experiment about British political parties that I decided to mash up with another TL idea for the world at large. However ITTL it's perfectly possible that Hong Kong...
  16. M

AH Run-downs, summaries and general gubbins

A really old idea of mine that I've been meaning to turn into a proper writeup for about a year. (The rundown is from like ~18 months ago but I realise it fits here). The idea was to fit as many different parties into one TL as possible. Some of the leader choices are less phresh than I remember...
  17. M

What Are Some Interesting PODs For The French Revolution?

Of course, it was an administrative position and this doesn't tilt the whole revolution on its head but even so it brings Lafayette much closer to the centre of power at a pretty pivotal moment in the Revolution. It doesn't ensure anything but it certainly makes him the most powerful person in...
  18. M

What Are Some Interesting PODs For The French Revolution?

Lafayette was offered the position of President of the National Assembly quite early into his stint as Commander of the National Guard. If you can somehow get him to take that up, there's a bunch of places you can go from there. President of a French Republic, de facto PM of a constitutional...
  19. M

Major Crimson Graphics and Test Thread

English Pale was the wounded knight that bore the rowan shield Loud and cruel were the raven's cries that feasted on the field Saying "Beck water, cold and clear, will never clean your wound There's none but the maid of the winding mere can make thee hale and soond" "So course well, my...
  20. M

Tibby's Graphics and Grab-Bag Thread.

I love it honestly, a really cool thing to keep around and expand.
Back