• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. L

How to save Glasgow

I thought Glasgow had been....saved? Liverpool basically copied Glasgows regeneration pattern, including applying for the Capital of Culture (Glasgow and Liverpool are surely the most succesful examples of riding on the back of that to get as much regeneration money as they could) and now seems...
  2. L

The Fall of the Republic (Revolutionary Period)

I too have not read Decades of Darkness so i cannot comment. Another potential issue could be to make Slavery more of a divisive issue, earlier than in OTL. In OTL, even in the southern states, it was tacitly accepted that Slavery was on its way out-this is why there was relatively little...
  3. L

One good way of taking advantage of the weak situation the US would be in if left with the Articles of Confederation rather than a constitution, is that there would not be very strong rules preventing states having their own foreign or economic policies. This is why i think, in the event the...
  4. L

Well i, given that under the Articles the US was barely a country and more of a loose international agreement, that it just dies out gradually as the Articles are given less and less credence by its members, as they start to conduct their own foreign policies, run their own economies etc. So...
  5. L

I would have assumed the easiest way is to have the Constitutional Convention fail, and for the US to be left with the useless Articles of Confederation under which the States were essentially independent countries only very loosely aligned. Let the first big crisis come along-the Napoleonic...
  6. L

Research about Volcanos

Not sure where else to put this, but for my Doggerland story, which i need to get back too-does anyone have any idea where i might find any descriptions, be they in diary form, or perhaps more official, of volcano's, from the 18th or 19th century. I tried to look at the diaries of Charles...
  7. L

Does the supernatural have a place in Alternate History?

Its useful as a vehicle for establishing events, as long as you dont focus too heavily on it. The whole `Alien Space Bat` thing.
  8. L

Permissibility of fanfic?

I like a bit of fan fic (ASOIAF and lartely The Purge), i just tend to see if there is a thread about the appropriate genre (ie, putting The Purge posts in the Horror thread. Ive not had any ticking off about it. But then, i havent had any comment on it at all!
  9. L

AHC: Britain a Founder Member of the E.E.C.

As far as i know, it very nearly happened until something about it annoying the Durham Miners. I suspect it would have resulted in a much more pared down EFTA type concept of Europe than the current EU-that or the UK would be more willing to engage in an EU level bloc if we had a bit more...
  10. L

What would have happened if no Greek bailouts?

This is all for some research im doing as part of a slightly dystopian story im thinking about. I suppose it can be a slightly difficult question to answer, as there have been about 5 of these bail outs, but it would be useful to know peoples ideas about the economic and political impacts on...
  11. L

Turtledoves Atlantis

I've just finished Opening Atlantis, and whilst the story is a decent albeit blatant copy and paste of real life America to an Island setting, I just wonder if it is grounded in any realism at all-could, 85 million years ago, the East coast of the US simply break away?
  12. L

Honorary Alternate History

I wonder if War of the Worlds counts as alternate history? It happened in the past, and its quite clearly something that never happened.
  13. L

TL-191 question

All of this reminds me when i used to play Victoria 2, on which i never finished a game without cheating massively. Id invariably start as the CSA only intending to go the Turtledove route and expand into Cuba, Sonora and Chihuahua. Inevitably, 10 years in id have half the Caribbean, some grim...
  14. L

TL-191 question

Entirely coincidentally, ive started rereading all the TL-191 books, and one thing that stands out is that there isn't really a good guy. Certainly the Confederates are the more obvious `bad guy` for fairly clear reasons, but after the war in the 1880s, the USA of the books isn't much more than...
  15. L

TL-191 question

The first few were very good. The last one, i never even finished.
  16. L

Alex's Comissions and Maps Thread

I thought id ask this here, as it is about Maps etc. Would there be any interest in any map/city building, map games? If so, where would be the most appropriate place to post them?
  17. L

2019 Britain ISOT to November 1944?

Does the UK even possess those? I suppose its worth considering, given the uptime UK, transplanted to 1944, has the overhwelming superiority in the technical knowledge of this field, how quickly could the UK produce some relatively weak bespoke weapons. Enough to terrorize Germany, but not to...
  18. L

I don't believe the 2019 population would be that furious that they would topple the government. As i say, we know, in 2019, quite how evil the Nazis were, in a way which only came out after the war, in the likes of the Nurenburg Trials. Using weapons against them is not IMO going to bring down...
  19. L

More than that, the Uptime public probably wont grumble too much, the usual suspects aside, about a bit of Instant Sunshine over Berlin-unlike the downtimers who only had rumours and assumptions at this stage, we all know the level of the evil we were fighting. Id be very surprised if a Trident...
  20. L

I didnt actually say nukes help decolonization-they will however help the post war eastern Europe question.
Back