• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. A

No War Outbreak in 1914: Impact on UK Domestically

Not just buses - the lack of surplus lorries will also delay the move from rail freight to road haulage. And might allow a more sensible response from the Railway Companies as road haulage grows (the Big Four wanted to amend the rail freight charges and get rid of their common carrier...
  2. A

Scenes We'd Like To See: Alternate Movies, Television & Other Pop Culture Miscellanea

This could have made a difference - but then so could not making a total mess of the relaunch post-Crisis; instead of characters being revamped and ready to go as soon as the last issue of CoIE was on the newsstands, arguably only Superman in his own title and Action Comics was restarted...
  3. A

Running from the Despair Squid

Running from the Despair Squid
  4. A

The Many Faces of James Bond (Part 1)

Perhaps that can be part of another article; What if Roger was chosen rather than Sean to play Bond in Dr. No? Project the series forwards from there. Also, the word for this type of Bath house is Sentõ (the accent should be straight, don't zen garden me).
  5. A

The Many Faces of James Bond (Part 1)

[ahem] "We had an increasingly old looking Roger Moore returning again for Octopussy and You Only Live Twice." Did he? I could have sworn that You Only Live Twice was a Sean Connery Bond from 1967... I think you meant A View to a Kill, Ryan.
  6. A

Mach One Magazine and Judge Dredd Fortnightly - the 2000AD spinoffs that never were

I meant more along the lines that his work on it at Marvel UK at least had consistent plots, decent story arcs & character building. Which was almost entirely missing from the US generated strips. But yeah, lots of creators with a major influence removed.
  7. A

Mach One Magazine and Judge Dredd Fortnightly - the 2000AD spinoffs that never were

Good article, Charles. Brings back some fond memories from the early days of 2000AD. I don't believe that there's any likely POD that would either push the UK comics towards a European model or allow more spin-offs to survive. Moving to monthly publication is more likely to lead to a greater...
  8. A

Alternate Terminology: Rosettes, Cockades and Revolutionary Flags

No Owen, you've got it right.
  9. A

The Sporting Life: The Hand of God

Britain had already formed an international governing body for Football prior to the founding of FIFA - the IFAB, which still oversees the rules of International Football (FIFA is a member along with the English, Scottish, Welsh & Irish FA's). Britain's absence from the 1924 & 1928 Summer...
  10. A

The Sporting Life: The Spear of the Lion

My main thought on that wasn't necessarily the reaction of the NZRU (which I don't judge as likely to be much different), but on the reactions of the other national RU bodies & possible diplomatic pressure being brought to bear on the New Zealand Government itself to intervene.
  11. A

The Sporting Life: The Spear of the Lion

Outstanding article David, I missed that game myself but caught the furore afterwards. Something that hasn't been mentioned yet; if O'Driscoll hadn't managed to turn his neck in time, regardless of the subsequent firestorm about RU safety it might start, might there have been pressure (from the...
  12. A

Serial Saturday: Down South in the Service of the Queen - Chapter the Sixth

Excellent work David, a personal memoir written in the style of a Victorian magazine serial. Both amusing & informative for the ordinary Marine's (is there such a thing?) POV. Eagerly awaiting the next chapter.
  13. A

The Write Stuff: A Final Word

Indeed. I didn't recognise the second one, so did a quick search & all that returned was some unknown pastor in the US by the name of M.L. King Jnr? A Doctor of Philosophy apparently, no published novels though.
  14. A

The Write Stuff: A Final Word

Helpful advice there David, and some classic closing lines.
  15. A

The Write Stuff: In The Beginning

Ah. Well caught. That will be why I felt something a-Blaise... oh never mind. Advising writers to be careful using pop culture references is helpful too (especially old ones, it alienates a portion of the prospective readership). I tend to mutter them to myself, it sometimes helps with dialogue too.
  16. A

The Write Stuff: In The Beginning

Monkeys? Muppets? Maestro would seem to fit... Good article, David. Useful advice overall & I particularly liked the part about reading the first line aloud to yourself to see if the hook felt right.
  17. A

Changing Times

An excellent article, @David Flin. "Perhaps less well understood is how deeply the class system in various countries was embedded." This is an outstanding point, particularly for those writing about Britain prior to 1939. My eyes were opened to this when visiting my maternal grandparents at a...
  18. A

DC's General S'Ound-Ness

DC's General S'Ound-Ness
  19. A

Moth's Graphics & Test Thread

Sorry to hear this, moth. I don't feel it's the right thing for you to do for at least one reason - if you quit, then it's one less person that's writing content that isn't just posts in the pub. On the other hand, if you feel the site is no longer feeding you or supporting you creatively, then...
Back