• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. TheCoolCucumber

Lesser-Known Near-Deaths and Near-Misses

There's the infamous break in at 24 Sussex while Chretien was PM, but I think that was just as likely to end with Chretien caving in a schizophrenic man's head with an Inuit statue as was it was in his death.
  2. TheCoolCucumber

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Funny to think that in this TL my great-grandfather would have lived in a self-governing British colony, then a British dominion, then a British colony under direct rule, then a Canadian province, and finally a US state.
  3. TheCoolCucumber

Callan's Graphics and Things

Yessssss! Oh... oh fuck
  4. TheCoolCucumber

What if the NDP won the 2015 general election?

This was really unfair, Rosie was totally ignoring the section of the NDP platform that committed them to building a time machine during their first mandate.
  5. TheCoolCucumber

What if the NDP won the 2015 general election?

I doubt it. I don't think there was ever any real interest among the rank and file for a merger. They'd both have to be in pretty desperate positions for it to even become a serious possibility.
  6. TheCoolCucumber

WI: 'Straits Settlements' penal colonies relocated elsewhere?

I imagine moving the penal colonies to Australia would have quite the effect on that country's future.
  7. TheCoolCucumber

Cherry as a Canadian Berlusconi is inspired, but the more I think of it the more sense it makes.
  8. TheCoolCucumber

Nonpartisan Large Democracy

You shouldn't assume they would exist. As already mentioned you might have a two round system similar to jungle primaries in the US, but you could just as easily have normal FPTP (that's what Nunavut and NWT do).
  9. TheCoolCucumber

Before I saw that the party predated his presidential run I was imagining John McCain founding a party called "An American" because people were questioning if he was a natural-born citizen.
  10. TheCoolCucumber

1920-1922: Arthur Meighen (Conservative) 1921 (Conservative Minority) Def: Thomas Crerar (Progressive), William S. Fielding (Liberal) 1922-1929: Thomas Crerar (Progressive) 1922 (Progressive Minority) Def: Arthur Meighen (Conservative), William S. Fielding (Liberal) 1923 (Progressive Majority)...
  11. TheCoolCucumber

AHC: Unitary Canada

I have in fact found a good article describing the evolution of the JCPC's judgements on the POGG powers. Ignoring for a moment broader trends within Canada, I think a good start to keeping POGG powerful would be to avoid Lord Watson's judgement in the Local Prohibition Reference of 1896...
  12. TheCoolCucumber

It's been ages since I read anything about confederation negotiations, so I really don't know any specifics, but I will reiterate that the Federal Government was incredibly powerful during the early years of Confederation, the challenge is maintaining that power. So POGG stands for Peace...
  13. TheCoolCucumber

I agree with @Ricardolindo, a unitary state really isn't possible. Neither the maritime provinces or BC will agree to it, nor do I think it would be particularly practical. What is much more likely is that you could have an incredibly strong Federal government that can dominate the provinces...
  14. TheCoolCucumber

Despite my love for my dear island home, I am inclined to agree that it would greatly struggle as an independent nation. There's a chance if different decisions were made in the 1880s that the economic problems of the 20th century could be avoided, but unfortunately I think an independent...
  15. TheCoolCucumber

A British Revolution and the perception of monarchy

I was thinking something along the lines of the first half of the 19th century, maybe a little earlier, but definitely not latter than the early 1850s. Of course if anyone has any ideas about other time periods I'd love to here those as well.
  16. TheCoolCucumber

A British Revolution and the perception of monarchy

So I've recently been thinking about how the abolition of the British monarchy would affect how we think of monarchy in the anglophone world. I'm not really interested in how the monarchy is abolished, but rather how we would perceive monarchies in other nations and how it would be portrayed in...
  17. TheCoolCucumber

Getting a UK prime minister to lose their seat

Not in the UK, but in Canada Mackenzie King lost his riding twice while forming government after the election. Once in 1925 and again in 1945, although in 1925 the Liberals were not the largest party but formed government with the support of the third party progressives.
  18. TheCoolCucumber

I'm working on a similar idea where Trudeau never enters politics, and instead Mitchell Sharp is Pearson's successor. It appears we have very similar thoughts on the RIN and the FLQ.
Back