• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. S

WI: Brazil and France go to war... Over Lobster?

True. If the French fired first, Brazil's Government likely gets a lot more stable. Assuming Janio handles the situation correctly (not a certainty). If he doesn't, his government falls early and the Generals take things from there
  2. S

WI: Brazil and France go to war... Over Lobster?

Before you laugh, the premise isn't nearly as crazy as it sounds. Between 1961 and 1963, Brazil and France nearly fought a war over lobster. Specifically the Caribbean Spiny Lobster fishery. In 1961, French fishing vessels crossed the Atlantic from the Western coast of Africa to try new grounds...
  3. S

South American Fighters Question

What I mean is, due to internal politics (and de Gualle being de Gualle) France officially left the alliance in a political move, but still fully intended to operate alongside NATO in Europe in any Cold War goes hot scenario.
  4. S

France politically left the alliance. But they were very clear that their military would still cooperate with NATO and would deploy to Germany if the Soviet s crossed the IGB. So there was still a huge incentive for the US to not embargo them or militarily force the aircraft not to be sold
  5. S

Military coup in Iran in 1979

So, off the top of my head: 1. Iran "officially" becomes an Islamic Republic (think similar to Saudi Arabia, just not as extreme i.e no burkas, no bans on women driving, etc). 2. They nationalize the oil industry, but continue to sell oil at favorable rates to the US so the net result is...
  6. S

Well, they could have, but only at the cost of irreparably damaging the NATO alliance. And that was never going to happen. It's why the US supported the UK over Argentina despite having a defense pact with them.
  7. S

I've got an idea that might work for that then that I'm incorporating into a timeline I'm writing. I'll have to do a little more digging to make sure the times line up first.
  8. S

Military coup in Iran in 1979

It depends how extreme the measures taken by the generals are. If, as the OP in that thread suggested, they order protesters gunned down in the streets, it won't last more than a few days before being counter-couped by Kohemini (sp). But if they are willing to negotiate with some of the more...
  9. S

IIRC, the sale of French Mirages and Super Entendards caused a pretty significant diplomatic dust up between France and the US. While France has always been willing to sell almost anything to almost anyone, they still tried to avoid major diplomatic incidents while doing so.
  10. S

I don't know, they launched their own pilots out of the aircraft pretty well...
  11. S

Assuming Douglas had ever been able to get it to work right. They never were able to conduct a successful test of it
  12. S

Maybe a dumbed down version. I don't think the US would want South American nations having Sparrow capability. The US has always viewed S America as their playground. And they don't want those militaries too capable. Low supersonic with Sidewinders? On the edge of the possible. But SARH AAMs...
  13. S

Good option! Thanks!
  14. S

I should have mentioned it in the OP, but I'm looking for a late 50s to mid 60s timeframe. The F-5 is too late for that. Otherwise I agree, it's the obvious choice. It's cheap, supersonic, maneuverable and not much of a threat to the USAF/USN.
  15. S

Hillary Clinton and the Senate Race That Nearly Wasn't (or Always Was?)

This assumes that Obama still runs. And even if he does, he won't have the boost of "not being Hillary."
  16. S

That could work. But if we're replacing the OTL Mirage sales, what is the US selling? The Super Sabre went out of production in 59 and didn't leave ANG service until 79. There might be a handful of of airframes available that the USAF is retiring that don't go to the Guard, but probably not...
  17. S

That's what I was thinking as well, but the Super Sabre was a widow maker (like a lot of early supersonic fighters). But assuming S. American countries are interested, who would be the most likely operators? I'm thinking Argentina and Brazil. Maybe Chile?
  18. S

In OTL, as a matter of policy, the United States did not sell supersonic fighters to South American nations and actively discouraged offer nations from doing so as well. What POD would be needed to get the United States to change this policy? And what aircraft do you think are likely candidates...
  19. S

AHC: Keep Buffalo in the big leagues

Idk if the Bills could pull off four straight (IIRC they got blown out by the 49ers) but two or three out of four seems realistic.
  20. S

AHC: Keep Buffalo in the big leagues

That would be really hard to pull off considering that NYC has a higher population than the rest of the state combined. What the City wants, it gets. On a personal note, my brother worked at a call center in NYS (North of Syracuse in Watertown, NY) doing tech support for Samsung, and they only...
Back