• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. E

AH Cooperative Lists Thread

Presidents of the Confederate States: 1861-1867: Jefferson Davis / Alexander Stevens (Nonpartisan) 1867-1873: J. L. M. Curry / Lawrence O'Bryan Branch ("Dixie" Democratic) 1873-1879: Joseph E. Johnston / Alexander H. H. Stuart (Democratic-Whig) 1879-1885: Barzillai J. Chambers / William M. Lowe...
  2. E

AndrewH's Test Thread

Leaders of the UK (post-American occupation) 1950 - 1951: Field Marshal Peter Kemp 1951 - 1955: Kim Philby 1955 - 1958: Jack Jones 1958 - 1964: William Warbey 1964 - 1975: Rab Butler 1975 - 1979: Robert Carr 1979 - 1979: Janet Young, Baroness Young 1979 - 1979: Henry Plumb 1979 - 1981: John...
  3. E

Least favorite alt-history story?

You forgot Michael Foot's acid baths.
  4. E

Philip Adrien, the first Catholic U.S. President (OC)

Creating OCs (formerly 'self-inserts' due to a misunderstanding) is kind of Gustavo's thing, going all the way back to Ed Donnell in the Imaginary Elections community. It's not a specific choice, just a general thing.
  5. E

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Oh I liked your Mercia last year—the 'early English revolution followed by centuries of dominant-party rule' reminded me of something I'd toyed with many years ago for a private project.
  6. E

This website is banned in Malaysia

I'm glad that some places are tackling the issue.
  7. E

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

A very good list—and I’m a big fan of lists which take a PoD and go from there, just exploring the consequences without a ‘theme’ of sorts. If I may nitpick (sorry): I think it’s very unlikely that you’d see a National Government—an agreement to support Covid-related legislation and delay a...
  8. E

Wikiboxes and infoboxes

It always has: that's just an essay (and, well, there are sandboxes that have been up for years despite those policies against it...). It's possible to circumvent uploading to Wikimedia Commons by editing maps, custom portraits, etc. in at a later stage when stitching it together, which is...
  9. E

A Prayer Answered: Delivered from the Fury of the Northmen - Norse Scandinavia teleported away in 800 AD (ASB)

My first post was an attempt to, while not being blunt about it, point out a flaw in the hypothetical presented in that your take on fragmentation in England (and other parts of NW Europe besides) is not in accord with the consensus--which I would hardly describe as a particular reading of a...
  10. E

A Prayer Answered: Delivered from the Fury of the Northmen - Norse Scandinavia teleported away in 800 AD (ASB)

Coenwulf was hardly 'first among kings' and in 800 Ecgberht (Alfred's grandfather) wasn't a king at all. Besides that, it is nowadays widely acknowledged that England was a well-organised, wealthy nation-state--something that developed directly because of those threats--before 1066 the...
  11. E

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

Different film, directed by a German Jewish refugee.
  12. E

Alternate Wikibox Thread

NationStates? What's that?
  13. E

AH Run-downs, summaries and general gubbins

Großnordhummerland and Kleinnordhummerland. The sound changes are also universal, so done in reverse you get Middlesbury instead of Middlesbrough for instance.
  14. E

A prosperous East Anglia?

My fault: yes, you're right. I was relying on The English Woollen Industry, 1500-1750 which has some limitations (as you can see from the title) and which indicated Hull and London were the main ports for the West Riding's exports through the eighteenth century. I was unaware of how fast the...
  15. E

Oh: I should clarify that it wasn't the coal and iron of the West Riding that was being discussed, but rather its (and Lancashire's) textile exports.
  16. E

Yes: the geographic determinism I referred to in the OP, just to clarify, was a suggestion that the main issue was that it faced Europe rather than the Atlantic (which somehow didn't stop Yorkshire). The lack of coal to mine in East Anglia will be an issue that not even Bristol faced, having the...
  17. E

There were also Hanseatic outposts at Norwich, Yarmouth, and Ipswich; close to East Anglia but not in it, there were additionally ones at Boston and Colchester (depending on how you define 'East Anglia', in the case of the latter--if the Stour Valley prospers, north Essex though in another way...
  18. E

East Anglia was once perhaps the most populous and prosperous part of England. Nowadays, it's primarily known for its stereotypical rusticness. I've seen a number of reasons suggested for its decline and inability to recover--conservative practices in its textile industry and geographic...
  19. E

Lilitou's Liminal Letterbox

Seb Payne gets a seat? ASB.
Back