• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. Indicus

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

The US Constitution specifically represents a republicanized version of a Tory take on the British constitution, due to the American suspicion of Parliament taxing them without their consent - even at the time the House of Commons was clearly the strongest element in the British constitution...
  2. Indicus

The Spanish Empire without the Peninsular War

This is a very interesting WI with a wide cone of plausibility, I think. The effects of the Peninsular War on the Spanish Empire can't be underestimated with the mass formation of juntas and collapse of "legitimate" authority and all, and before that point most discontent against the Spanish...
  3. Indicus

In general Ireland’s constitution strikes me very much as being the reforms the British Liberals wanted a century ago. Not just the Senate which is essentially a Lords reform proposal, but also the lower house elected by STV. I suppose it makes sense considering the old linkages between British...
  4. Indicus

Alternate History General Discussion

There were some Soviet experiments with ternary computers, not binary - that is, base 3 instead of base 2 - I think that might be what you’re thinking of. That said, their experiments with them came to an end in the 1970s, and they had very little to do with Soviet experiments with networking.
  5. Indicus

Indicus's maps, wikiboxes, &c thread

The 80s Apple aesthetic is a lot more intentional on my part - on post 192 here on this thread I did try to replicate that, with partial success. Something I’ve been trying to do is use that aesthetic to make my personal site, using React, and I suppose both these things are tangents from that...
  6. Indicus

Threadmarks: Republic of New Holland

I realize my alternate wikibox aesthetic has ended up looking like an Ipod.
  7. Indicus

AH Run-downs, summaries and general gubbins

National Holidays in the United States Name Date Notes New Years' Day January 1 Washington's Birthday February 22 Martyrs' Day March 5 Commemorates the Boston Massacre (1770) and in particular the martyrdom of Crispus Attucks, today a Colored-American icon Labor Day April 14...
  8. Indicus

Tibby's Graphics and Grab-Bag Thread.

That was simply one of the three finalists (along with the Pearson Pennant and the one that got selected), and it was pushed as a compromise.
  9. Indicus

Tibby's Graphics and Grab-Bag Thread.

Perfectly cursed, love it. I recall seeing a historic newspaper cartoon of John A. Macdonald crafting a British ensign-style flag with both a French tricolor and the fleur-de-lis to accuse him of being overly partial to Francophone interests (for the life of me I can’t find it again though)...
  10. Indicus

Queen Victoria dies in 1835

He was Grand Master of the Irish section of the Orange Order from 1817 to 1836, when it was forced to disband (temporarily) after Whigs and Radicals accused him of using it in a plot to overthrow the government and make himself king. So it’s possible he would be able to leverage the Orange Order...
  11. Indicus

Queen Victoria dies in 1835

Moderate Whigs like Macaulay wrote about a second glorious revolution being necessary if Ernest Augustus ever came to the throne. There would very much be attempts to exclude him from the succession pushed by the contemporary Whig government, with general widespread support. And if those failed...
  12. Indicus

Threadmarks: Map of the United States (QGIS) V2

Took some trial-and-error but I've been able to get the grasp of QGIS since making this, so here's a more "proper" version of this map.
  13. Indicus

Wikiboxes and infoboxes

Inspect Element tells me it’s “sans-serif” which defaults to Arial or Helvetica (which are pretty similar most of the time) on most browsers and machines. That reminds me, you can always edit wikiboxes with Inspect Element if you don’t want to worry about fonts or stuff like that, in case your...
  14. Indicus

Wikiboxes and infoboxes

The most typical way to make wikiboxes has been to, first, make an account on wikipedia, copy-and-paste a wikibox from a wikipedia page into your personal account sandbox, and then edit the stuff in it to what you want. You'd also need to (if you're making wikiboxes with a map or diagram)...
  15. Indicus

AH Challenge: Preempt the rise of car-dependent urbanism

The need for new housing that came up post-WWII made stuff like Levittowns in the US and Canada inevitable, and that necessitates a car-based urbanism which was already regarded as "the way of the future" thanks to stuff like the 1939 World Fair's iconic Futurama. With massive swathes of Europe...
  16. Indicus

Minasota here got reserved for a long while as an Indian Territory, as was voted on by the Senate in the early 1840s in OTL, and Jefferson has that panhandle as a legacy of the US government wanting to control the Missouri River.
  17. Indicus

Threadmarks: Map of the United States (QGIS)

An experiment with QGIS. My font choice isn't the best and I'm not happy with a few of the labels (and editing this as an SVG would probably crash my computer), but that aside I think it looks good.
  18. Indicus

AH Run-downs, summaries and general gubbins

Highest-Selling Vitas of all Time Rank Name Summary Year Length Primary languages Country of origin Worldwide sales (USD) 1 Valmy A French private falls in love with the sister of a German colonel amidst the prelude to the Battle of Valmy (1792) 2001 3 hours, 39 minutes French, German...
  19. Indicus

Threadmarks: Compagnie générale de la télégraphie photonique

20. Indicus

This is an only tangential point, but it's an irony that, at the height of a Cold War about capitalism vs communism, the American government created the Internet in a highly centralized top-down manner with little input from private enterprise, while the USSR's attempts to make an information...
Back