• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. Y

1988: the Lib Dems and Continuity SDP go bankrupt

@Time Enough @AH Layard What it says on the tin. Basically,what would happen if the Lib Dems and Continuity SDP actually do declare bankruptcy like it nearly happened in 1988? Beyond the obvious (Lib Dems lose more seats in 1992 and Paddy is couped and replaced with Kennedy),I have...
  2. Y

Making A Point or Whitelaw Resigns in ‘78

In the aftermath of her interview to The World in Action in 24 January 1978,Margaret Thatcher (cynically,given that a by-election was just coming and she needed to win it) had killed the National Front as a political party by employing the first of many anti immigration speeches. 10000 letters...
  3. Y

2005: Osborne instead of Cameron

As some of you know,Michael Howard more or less fixed the 2005 Conservative Leadership race in favour of Cameron but Dave was not the first choice as the Stop Davis Candidate. After he said no to Howard asking him to be Shadow Chancellor (mostly due to being afraid of facing Brown in the Commons...
  4. Y

Alistair Darling Gets the Shaft in August/September 2008

What it says on the tin. Basically after Darling’s in-depth interview in late August 2008 where he talks about how the Recession will get worse and Labour will have difficult times ahead Gordon went ballistic and his spin doctors ran attack stories on Darling,with Brown planning to sack him...
  5. Y

Seccesion By Accident or The Gang of Eight Does One On Trudeau

Yeah,yeah,I know,long ass title and a bit convoluted but hear me out. During the last days of the 1981 Conference,exasperated by the Gang of Eight,Trudeau decided to pull out one last card: either the Premiers agreed to a Canadian national constitution or the matter will be decided via...
  6. Y

A Grand Chaos or the Germans occupy Petrograd in 1917

One interesting thing many forget about when talking about the Russian Revolutions of 1917 is that you can imagine the second one not happening by using a forgotten event: the German occupying Tallinn in 16 October and being within reach of Sankt Petersburg. Say the offensive gets to be...
  7. Y

The Three Fat Men or Fianna Fáil loses it big time in 2011

Fianna Fáil’s 2011 result is up there in terms of electoral crashes but something I found out is that most of the results for their TD that did survive were tight as hell,to the point where a more severe recession would have led to this result: Fine Gael: 81 seats Labour: 42 seats Sinn Féin...
  8. Y

For A Single Meal or Adamescu Junior Takes Down A Government With Him

Slightly inspired by the Owen Paterson affair and whatnot,I thought of what would have happen if the parts of the press not bought off by Adamescu started noticing that they aren’t as innocent as they falsely claimed,that the former got rich via his daddy conning people out of their insurance...
  9. Y

Tonton’s Early Victory or Mitterrand wins in ‘65

Something I found out recently is that people were more or less expecting Mitterrand to win against De Gaulle in ‘65,with many being surprised that Gaulle won-and even then narrowly from the point of view of some. Suppose therefore that,somehow,Mitterrand did win against France’s Nationalist in...
  10. Y

Crooked Warren or Harding Lives On

What it says on the tin-what happens if Harding doesn’t die of a heart attack and is still President when the Teapot Dome Scandal (among others) is revealed? I imagine that Harding would most likely give himself (and probably some of his mates if he has time) a pardon before resigning in early...
  11. Y

Ceausescu Lives On Scenarios

Before we start,a few notes: -Ceausescu’s precarious health at this point and his various illnesses can’t and shan’t be butterflied away and thus he has to live til late ‘91/early ‘92. -His sole heir was Nicu and he didn’t care about anything beyond booze and women so don’t expect him to put...
  12. Y

1921-the NSDAP splits

By 1921 Adolf Hitler started building himself a comfortable career as a figure of the German far right and the NSDAP’s most prominent figure,but it wasn’t a particularly stable one. See,in August 1921 Anton Drexler was having merger discussions with the German Social Party and Otto Dickel’s...
  13. Y

Halifax as PM: how does he fare in a 1941 General Election?

What it says on the tin-Halifax becomes PM,a peace treaty is signed,Britain is out of the war for a while or maybe even definitely. What happens then? There's no reason for the Conservatives to postpone the General Election anymore now that there isn't a war or a War Cabinet anymore. How does...
  14. Y

Dying over a dog: Romania declares war on Bulgaria in 1914

During July 1914,while WW1 was about to start,at the border with Cadrilater,a Bulgarian border guard shot the Romanian border guard's dog. The border posts were facing each other, separated by a strip of land. After swearing profusely, the soldiers of the two countries retreated into the...
  15. Y

France without the Franco-Prussian War

Let's assume that Bismarck is successfully assasinated in 1866 and the Franco-Prussian War doesn't happen. Let's also assume that the Bonapartes continue to rule France til,say,the First World War or sometime during the 20th Century. How does France change along the years in this scenario? Does...
  16. Y

Lesser evils-Von Schleicher and Tukhachevsky get in charge

In the scenarios of Hitler losing the game of backroom deals that wins the people who control Hindenburg and civil war occurs that Japhy did in Götterdämmerung and Stalin being killed succefully by Orlova Pavlova and Tukhachevshy becoming Secretary General,how do things change for Europe in the...
  17. Y

Loudest voice in the room:Morton Downey Jr for America

For some time,I had some curious dreams about the Eighties trashy proto Glenn Beck conservative loud mouth known as Morton Downey Jr.More specifically,dreams of alternative history kind,in a timeline where Ronnie Raygun dies in ‘81,George becomes President and manages to win in 1984 against...
  18. Y

Stagnation forever:the U.S.S.R under Kirilenko and how it would affect the 1989 revolutions

Say,for the the sake of argument,that after the well known POD of Nixon and Brezhnev dying in a car crash in 1973,Kirilenko(possibly via support by Suslov) becomes Secretary General. Let’s also assume that things(in Eastern Europe for the most part) stay the same until the 1980’s,when...
  19. Y

Britain after 8 years of Attlee and 4 of Gaitskell-what follows?

In a world where the Labour Party carried on being in power til ‘57 and Bevan becomes leader after Gaitskell is no longer PM,who gets to be leader after he dies in ‘60? Would it be Freeman,Brown,Sunny Jim or our boy Harold? Also on an unrelated note,how would Eden run as PM? Can the Profumo...
  20. Y

Yokai Man’s Test Thread Thing

In which I post muh ideas
Back