• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. R

WI: Clausetwitz available in antebellum US

So one of the things that stands out to me reading Things About the Civil War is 1) both sides's commanders largely coming from the same West Point curriculum and 2) that curriculum largely relying on Jomini. Having read a bit more, it seems that Jomini was a lot more prominent mainly because 1)...
  2. R

WI: no Hilary 2016 run

On the tin. Let's say that sometime in 2014, the stress of Benghazi gives Hilary a minor health scare and as a result her doctors advise her not to run. Who runs for the Dem nomination and what are their prospects? Probably there's some mix of left and center candidates, but Biden is probably...
  3. R

WI: Delayed American civil war with different medical history

WARNING: I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT DIFFERENT MILITARY ANYTHING, PLEASE BUTTERFLY NET THE MILITARY STUFF AND ASSUME THAT THE ACW IN THIS SCENARIO IS VERY ROUGHLY SIMILAR AS A MULTIYEAR CONFLICT ENDING IN NORTHERN VICTORY AND EMANCIPATION Ok onto the meat of the question: The ACW came...
  4. R

AHC/WI: Battle of Fredricksburg goes better for the union.

Inspired by going there today: Let's say Burnside avoids a debacle either 1) by getting the pontoons up faster, 2) revising his battle plan once it became clear that the crossing was to be delayed to focus the main attack upstream/downstream of town (focusing on the RR better) and avoid any sort...
  5. R

Lincoln survives the assassination attempt

Inspired by this article: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/11/would-lincoln-have-survived-if-he-was-shot-today/281680/ Now obviously 1865 is not 2007, but it is interesting at least to me that the doctors who treated Lincoln had an uncommonly good understanding for the day of...
  6. R

No second Anglo-Afghan War/Treaty of Gandarmak-effects on India

Note: this is not about Afghanistan primarily or saying "everything's the fault of the Durand Line" which, ok maybe but not what I'm interested in. My question is this: suppose that Afghanistan retains its territories as of 1850 or so, maybe Russia makes very clear to the UK via diplomatic...
  7. R

No outbreak of War of 1812?

Going off Wikipedia: So let's say the Orders in Council get repealed slightly earlier or Madison procrastinates on the DoW and the they get to the US in time? Does this prevent the outbreak of war or just delay it? Does that change if the outbreak is delayed by a more conciliatory British...
  8. R

John Brown lives longer

(Inspired by which I have said in the Civil War thread feels like a song from an ATL where he disappears and becomes a folk hero) Let's say that either 1) he calls off the raid on Harpers Ferry or 2) he manages to pull off a quick smash-and-grab and avoids getting bottled up, and then manages...
  9. R

Foreign policy consequences of a successful Reconstruction

Let's postulate that Reconstruction is successful to a standard of "the 13th-15th amendments are vigorously enforced, the rights of African-Americans are preserved, esp. wrt voting, and either the bans on segregation in public accommodations are upheld (1875 Civil Rights Act) or at a bare...
  10. R

Republican China

I've lost track-has someone done a TL and/or a proper SLP-published novel with a surviving Chinese Republic?
  11. R

No Late Ottoman genocides

(Titled this way to cover Assyrians, Pontic Greeks, etc in addition to Armenians) What would it take for the genocidal trajectory of the late Ottoman Empire to be stopped or reversed? How viable is this and at what point would it be workable? How would the changes this requires change the...
  12. R

AH as a game?

I was thinking of setting up a AH-based thread game set in an Ottoman Empire going through a revolution, with the game being "drafting a constitution" and various characters as actors in the drafting process. Would something like this be interesting?
  13. R

AHC/WI: Black Panther Party or related party surviving

NOTE: This includes other explicitly "Black Power" related parties such as the original Black Panther Party of Alabama, other offshoots of the Lowndes County Freedom Organization, etc. So the Black Power movement has an interesting history. It originated in a real degree in rural Alabama out of...
  14. R

WWI-II-like conflagration(s) in the 1850s-61

(Inspired by @Thande although this is a bit different than his thoughts). Given the number of revolts, rebellions, civil wars, and wars going on in the 1850s, it would be interesting to think of how these can all like together. My proposal for a WI is as follows: One or more of the Revolutions...
  15. R

WI: No Taiping

I don't know if I've seen a proper WI on this, but it seems ripe for AH in terms of changes stemming from a single person. So, suppose that Hong Xiuquan never rebels-he gets killed in a carriage accident, passes his exams and becomes a little-known if somewhat unusual eccentric local official...
Back