• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. U

US high-speed rail

This is probably a continuation of it, but if you were to make me present the three most-likely routes you could've seen HSR done (mind I am assuming by HSR, you are referring to 125mph services here) after the Northeast Corridor from what was the 'most likely' that could've been done. First...
  2. U

US high-speed rail

Okay, so just as an initial question to ask. Is this being meant more-so as kind of like, for where it would've been likely if you had the funds+political will to do so? Or more-so of what conditions could exist in order to enable it to happen and where would it have been likely to be to see...
  3. U

Alternate History General Discussion

Yeah. Its not like really anything needed for rivetty details imho to discuss it unless you are like, actively going to discuss transportation and stuff?
  4. U

Yeah. It is also just something that very much feels like... it'd be something that at least would be covered a fair bit more then it does? There's just so much 'fodder' (for lack of a better word) that you can kind of work to toy with and experiment, even from a more limited stance on dealing...
  5. U

This is more-so a bit of a musing for something I've thought and bundled a bit, but it always feels very surprising there isn't necessarily more like, discussion on the railroads and such considering the sheer aspect of like mergers, dissolution, emergence, and collapse that they all had, not to...
  6. U

Apollo 6: The Saturn V's Crucible

As a sidenote, but from a pure AH perspective in dealing with the article on if the crew of 8 had been lost, this cover was actually prepared by Newsweek if you had seen the Apollo 8 crew lost, but was thankfully not used.
  7. U

Apollo 6: The Saturn V's Crucible

Great article in terms of raising the point on Apollo 6, since even in general spaceflight discussion it is usually forgotten in terms of the kind of issues that were exposed because of the pogo oscillations on both the S-IC and the S-II (not to mention the other issues). Just to lay out a...
  8. U

The Borders of Genre: The Glorification of Fascism Within Alternate History

Watch on the Rhine is a-given considering its Kratman, and I was citing TNO as an example since it is by far one of the most popular HOI4 mods being played. It was more I was trying to state about published books b/c I was trying to think of a word there to characterize it. I do agree w/ you...
  9. U

The Borders of Genre: The Glorification of Fascism Within Alternate History

Like, I am going to be honest in that to a large extent, I do kind of agree w/ Moth's take on this in that to a large extent, those TLs that involve a Nazi victory or surviving Nazis, are to an extent pro-Nazi. There is never actually a critical examination as to the consequences of what does it...
  10. U

Apollo Goes To Venus: The Manned Venus Flyby

I didn't see this earlier, but the proposed Apollo Venus Flyby... it was such a weirdly fascinating idea among the Apollo Applications Program proposals that were tossed about. It's something I find that is just honestly a rather unique idea that was considered in terms of well, what could be...
  11. U

The Hammer and Sickle with the Stars.

To go and answer this, imho it's a non-starter just because of Congress. Like for example in a NASA appropriation bill passed in 1963, it had this language as part of it: "No part of any appropriation made available to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration by this Act shall be used...
  12. U

WI: President Mo Udall

To discuss the railroads area a bit more clearly from how I understand the quoted bit (and from reading the Carter library bit), he's not meaning in terms of building thousand of miles of new railroads, but more-so in terms of providing money to the railroads to be able to fix issues like...
  13. U

The Launchbox, PoD 13: The Near Misses of Gemini (Part 1)

Gemini is always a fascinating program I find, especially as the bridge between Mercury and Apollo proving many of the techniques required for it such as rendezvous and docking, EVA, and long-duration spaceflight to say the least. This is something I do disagree with a bit? After the ejection...
  14. U

Launchbox PoD 8: Mir anarchy is loosed

All the incidents on Mir in basically the first half of 1997 is just something that is honestly amazing that you didn't suffer any kind of death as a result despite the growing and worsening conditions aboard the station. It is also amazing like you said in that the ISS has been flying for...
  15. U

The Launchbox, PoD 5: Christmas Catastrophe - the Disaster of Apollo 8

That's an interesting potential to have a loss of crew on the flight of Apollo 8 and the kind of ensuing impact that would cause on the program, with it most definitely unlikely to be able to land a crew by the end of 1969, and more probably into 1970 or 1971. One bit as well you might find...
  16. U

The Launch Box: PoD 3 - Korolev Lives

No problem! Agreed. There's admittedly a weird thought I could sort of imagine a bit when contending with a lunar moonbase in that the Soviets are forced into pursuing a lunar base in order to rival the Americans, despite the potentially growing financial issues (one that is also shared by the...
  17. U

The Launch Box: PoD 3 - Korolev Lives

Great article! Korolev living is something of an interesting PoD, since you still might've been able to pull off just a bit further then they got (with say being able to get a crewed lunar flyby before Apollo 8 flies for example). Oh, if I might ask @AndyC, have you ever read this bit on the...
  18. U

The Launch Box: PoDs of the Space Age - PoD 1: The first satellite is American

Oooh neat, can't wait to see more of these AndyC. :) I, hmm. If the US had launched into space first, it does raise the significant question of how freedom of space is handled like you said. One thought at least from myself is considering the kind of... complexity of orbital mechanics you...
  19. U

Moth's Graphics & Test Thread

I'm sorry to see you go, and I hope you take care.
  20. U

Witch0Winter's Maps & Graphics Thread

Thanks for doing the map. It is a really fascinating look since it sort of does really show how well that Clinton did in the South.
Back