• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. T

Airships: Part Two - Military Airships

They're launching Congreves; with a weapon that terrible they're already balanced. A barrel bomb with a retarding fin would get you more bang for your buck, and odds are would be more accurate too.
  2. T

Lord of the Reams: How a Paper Shortage Created Modern Fantasy

People have to see it as a joke; and when we're talking about people who see a hundred thousand words as the bottom end for story length? Hard to see one.
  3. T

Lord of the Reams: How a Paper Shortage Created Modern Fantasy

It's Kratman, so the less you really know the better. He's probably the biggest concern I have possibly publishing with Baen, but most of the other SciFi/Fantasy outlets are much more opaque and need agents I'm still negotiating with.
  4. T

Airships: Part Two - Military Airships

The airborne carriers were always a wonderful concept to my mind, and they aquitted themselves well in Fleet Problems, but the devil is that they had massive sustainment issues both short and long term; the former in that aviation fuel was a very limited store, and later that a flying airship...
  5. T

Well yes, but the problem with being American is that the minute you leave the homeland, you...

Well yes, but the problem with being American is that the minute you leave the homeland, you inevitably find things you can't use so you have to trade the information around like a particularly useless set of tools.
  6. T

I have to laugh at your signature- not at finding American nationalists, but at the thought they...

I have to laugh at your signature- not at finding American nationalists, but at the thought they can find a publishing house in England!
  7. T

45627547 - >>45627438 >Questing isn't Hell. Quests are quests, and Hell is Hell. And of the two...

45627547 - >>45627438 >Questing isn't Hell. Quests are quests, and Hell is Hell. And of the two, quests are a lot worse >How do you figure? >Easy. Tell me, who goes to Hell? >Sinners, I believe. >Exactly. There are no innocent bystanders in Hell. Quests are chock full of them - little kids...
  8. T

WI: More sports involving cars?

I know tankette racing was a thing for a while; that said I'm having trouble of coming up with any sports you can apply a car to that don't involve speed.
  9. T

Cultural effects of massive Royal Navy loss in WW1/late nineteenth century?

Wilson was, as previously mentioned, a damn Confederate born about thirty years too late to actually fight; Roosevelt might have still spoken Dutch at home depending on how strong the culture would have been in the portion of New York he was born in. English was very much the public language of...
  10. T

Cultural effects of massive Royal Navy loss in WW1/late nineteenth century?

US policy was less Entente friendly and more money friendly, really. There were people with a preferred dog in the fight, but the fact of the matter was that Germany didn't really have the same position of "we can use this to fleece them blind" as a motivator the Entente did. It didn't hurt we...
  11. T

Other Ideologies: Primitivism

Th' everloving fuck was the author of that smoking at the time? You try and grow or live in New York without a veneer of modern technology to support you, and the ugly reality of urban pollution buildup is going to shoot you in the back of the head.
  12. T

The likelihood of French surrender in WW1

It might be a European thing versus an American thing- here, and to a reasonable extent elsewhere in the Americas and some parts of Southeast Asia, the French mutinies were seen as a total lack of control on the part of command- the soldiers did not respond to the efforts of commanding officers...
  13. T

Airships: Part One

Mobile formatting ate that for some reason, so I didn't see it the first time through. Apologies.
  14. T

Airships: Part One

I am mildly piqued nobody thought to mention the Sealion Press book dedicated to a rather fantastical version of airships. It's even right smack dab there on the cover! Edit: apparently I am mistaken and the mobile formatting ate one of the links. How odd.
  15. T

The likelihood of French surrender in WW1

That is an impressive misunderstanding of the whole shebang, to be sure. Breaking up Germany postwar runs into two very real problems: first, there's nothing saying they have to accept the treaty; and more importantly second, there's no real impetious for America to accept that treaty. Breaking...
  16. T

The House of Stuart Sequence

Most of the time, really. Elsas and Lorraine are already both ripe for and with fortifications, and with the infastructure there it's plenty attractive to build a bullwark there. It might not be worth it to reintegrate the antique Trace Itallian fortifications, but there's still plenty to work...
  17. T

That was too close... Five natural disasters that may yet happen

Well, no, but we may be quibbling on the definition of society and civilization. The existant society would die a rather embarrassing death, yes, but civilization will come back and bring with it new societies. As the joke goes over here, just because it's the end of the world doesn't mean it'll...
  18. T

That's if you use a key. Once you learn the tao of engines, keys are optional, and more importantly aren't actually that useful since picking a car ignition takes like ten seconds with a rake and an Allen wrench. In England, sure. Elsewhere that does not have that wasteful of a turnover, you'd...
  19. T

That's what extensive conditioning and bushcraft are for. If you don't got it, you can always learn it. Four plus air filled rubber tires are a pretty good insulation source, so the gross volt carriers are fine. The computers may or may not be screwed, but if they are it shouldn't be hard too...
  20. T

Not as many as you'd think. As much as modern society depends on electricity, a lot of critical systems like water infastructure are equipped with systems in case of power failure, and the transportation network is remarkably fault proof. All you'd need to get a truck started would be to...