• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. C

Least favorite alt-history story?

It's a first novel in the pop-AH genre, so I'm willing to be more forgiving, but Conroy's 1901 is a terrible mess. Even leaving the premise, the hamfisted characters, and the conference room infodumps aside, the battles are bad, and that's what dooms it.
  2. C

Bestist Non-SLP AH

It's not my absolute favorite and it's not perfect, but I found Zhirinovksy's Russian Empire to be remarkably good at avoiding a lot of the pitfalls it could have stumbled into. It manages to avoid being too "boom boom goes the tank" and it uses the "vignette newspaper clipping" style in a way...
  3. C

Coiler's Review of Agent Lavender (and other SLP books)

Sorry for any wait, @Tabac Iberez . A Century Turns: I liked it. The individual scenes ranged from "ok" to "very good and fun". You did a very good job with the action and the tone, changing it without being too jarring. However, I thought there were a few too many infodumps stuffed into too...
  4. C

Still ongoing, I've just been reading more non-SLP books. I'll be happy to read and review A Century Turns.
  5. C

help I'm in a military sci fi mood.

help I'm in a military sci fi mood.
  6. C

There's a lot of structural bias towards dystopian TLs. Sudden SHOCK VALUE antics can attract attention more often than small, subtle changes. The fandom is, for whatever reason, more willing to slam utopian changes than dystopian ones, even if they're not as plausible. Perhaps this is...
  7. C

I've read a bit of Worldwar. To me it was a classic Turtledove "good idea and opening, but he dragged it on too long because he can't write long series" kind of thing.
  8. C

I'm not sure how much of that is from the influence (however indirect) from For All Time and how much is just lazy dystopian "edginess", but I don't like it either. I've mentioned many times before how it's far too often either that or just lazy OTL B-listers, the guy who came in second or third...
  9. C

A State of Unending War

Shouldn't this get an announcement on the main site/blog?
  10. C

And I brought my Agent Lavender review to Fuldapocalypse. Not what I had in mind when I started the blog, but still. I'll be glad to praise it any day, any place.
  11. C

Well, for narrative stories the same problems a bad non-alternate history story would have. If the In The Presence of Mine Enemies novel was set in the present instead of a German WW2 Victory-Land and had some other secret for the main characters, it'd still be a clunky mess of one bridge game...
  12. C

After rereading it for a Fuldapocalypse review, I have to nominate William Stroock's World War 1990: Operation Arctic Storm. Not the absolute worst (I'm reluctant to call anything that), but still "dubious". First, it's written much later so it unambiguously counts as alternate history. Second...
  13. C

I also think (and this is even more speculative so I'm hedging like crazy-I have no direct evidence), it might (emphasis on might) have gotten notoriety by being something of an NDCR of its day. Which is to say, it's a deserving target, it has many, many legitimate issues, but it probably wasn't...
  14. C

I've heard that they have a good literary reason to be-it's a sort of "what if the villains got all the (however unrealistic) breaks?" Heard, haven't actually read it.
  15. C

Just the title alone would probably have kept me away even without knowing the full context.
  16. C

If technothrillers count as AH, Clancy's Executive Orders is so bad that it's made me more forgiving of other iffy books in the genre made later. It's basically "if the technothrillers king sank this low, can you really blame the imitators for following him?" (And the bear and the dragon is...
  17. C

Alternate military unit organizations

So, with the caveat that things will become far more ad-hoc in practice even before the actual battles start, it's interesting to see different proposed military organizations. The American Pentomic Divisions are infamous, but the Soviets, at least according to this declassified CIA analysis had...
  18. C

AANW to me is not nearly as good as some of the more enthusiastic fans have claimed it-but, more importantly, it's not nearly as bad as some of the detractors have put it. To me, it's just a dry TL that's still no worse on the prose front than any other pseduo-historical TL. Its initial (and...
  19. C

You know, I've seen a lot of overlap "worst AH" discussions, including here, and to be honest, two of the big sources, even if the criticism towards the individual works is valid, feels like the critic is often punching down at too easy a target when I see something from there slammed. The...
  20. C

Bestist Non-SLP AH

Yes, it indeed is.