• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. H

Frankish Northern Gaul

The amount of Frankish settlement South of the Loire after they defeated and expelled/ conquered the Visigothic kingdom S of it in 507 is thought by most historians to have been limited in any case. It was mostly 'elite' and administrative, with senior Frankish warriors trusted by their kings...
  2. H

Titanic Alternatives

I've always been intrigued by the 'Titanic' disaster and it's one of the bits of early C20th history which I learnt when I was around six or seven . I grew up near Southampton , the port from which it set sail, and lived by the nearby New Forest coast within sight of the channel down which the...
  3. H

Surviving Avar Khaganate

Two possible distant (geographically as well as time-wise) lines of events that enable the Avars to survive - and presumably if they do, their mixed Turkic-Slav state ends up as a slowly 'Europeanising' ex-nomad regime like the Magyars did in the OTL C10th. 1. No overthrow of the Merovingians by...
  4. H

Interviewing the AH Community: Olivia Longueville

Really intriguing interview with Olivia; I agree that we can see a lot of the background to how the actual events of later medieval history across W Europe (including England) developed - or in the case of Alt Hist could have developed given a few 'tweaks' - from goings-on at the Valois court...
  5. H

Prequel Problems: Endeavour

Very interesting and well-argued; it covers some of the problems that I've had with 'Endeavour' (and other modern prequels set in this period). I have been a long-term Colin Dexter and 'Morse' fan who read some of the books before the original TV series, and also know Oxford sites from the...
  6. H

The Alternate History of Bridgerton

I've been aware of the question of Queen Charlotte having some African blood via her Portuguese ancestors for several years, via academic articles about reasons for her facial features seeming to indicate this possibility. I have explored the idea of the UK Royal Family picking up a...
  7. H

Two Medieval PODs

If Richard is not mortally wounded in a fluke lucky bowshot by a crossbowman at the siege of Chalus, aged 41, there's still the problem of who's to succeed him when he does die - and given his recklessness and fondness for taking risks he's unlikely to make it to his fifties or sixties and...
  8. H

No Arab conquest of the Maghreb

The Carolingians were already in power well before the Arab invasions; they and rival nobles had been struggling over the chief ministership ('Mayor of the Palace') to the increasingly feeble Merovingians since the mid-C7th, and after the victory of Charles Martel's father Pepin of Heristal...
  9. H

Two Medieval PODs

My suggestions for the alternate paths taken by Byzantine decline are to be set out in my next Sealion ebook on Byzantium, provisionally entitled 'Rampart of Christendom?' (successor to 'Caesars of the Bosphorus') , when this comes out ; date not yet finalised. Broadly speaking, I set out the...
  10. H

Long-Lasting Protectorate

In real life 1653-4, Cromwell (firstly as commander in chief to the Rump Parliament and after April 1653 as head of state) did arrange to send 'internationalist' republican/ Puritan zealots, who were theologically in line with the Huguenots and anti-Catholic so anti-Louis XIV, to the SW French...
  11. H

No Crusades?

Considering the possibilities for an alternative and less disastrous result for the Byzantines at Manzikert is perhaps the likeliest scenario that could avoid any call by Alexius I or another Emperor for a large-scale recruitment of Western mercenaries via an appeal to the Pope. The Byzantine...
  12. H

I cover the period from 1653 to the late 1660s in detail in my forthcoming book 'Return of the King: The Stuart Restoration And After', which will be published by Pen and Sword some time in the next year or so (post-Covid timetables are still a bit uncertain) as the successor to my 2020 book...
  13. H

If Charles II was captured and executed in 1651 or was killed in an accident (or what was officially declared to be an accident by the New Model Army to cover up a 'targeted killing' designed to avoid having to put him on trial) the Royalists would have transferred their allegiance to his next...
  14. H

AHC: Britain as tech capital of the world

From my own experience as the son of a senior polytechnic official/ teacher in the 1980s, I can add my own experience of what I heard then - ie that the govt and certain top officials were more keen on the number of students they could get into the system aged 6 or 18 than what was actually...
  15. H

Anglo-Dutch Union

I've written on the Anglo-Dutch union proposals of 1651-2, in my 1995 book on Oliver Cromwell's foreign policy - for which I dug out some of the original documents n the UK public Records Office in London on the English negotiators' position and ideas on what they wanted. At this point the...
  16. H

Interviewing the AH Community: Hilde Heyvaert

This article reminds us of an interesting issue in the creations of counter-factual worlds in Alt Hist - what do the character wear, and what determines whether clothing fashions 'evolve' in an AH world on more or less the same lines as in our own - or whether they are or can be...
  17. H

No Arab conquest of the Maghreb

I was once a student of the main UK classical historian/ archaeologist to have run a 'dig' in Carthage looking for signs of the post-533 Byzantine city there, and her conclusions were that it was in sharp decline as far as both population/ built-up area and prosperity went well before it fell...
  18. H

No War Outbreak in 1914: Impact on UK Domestically

With no Great War and an oncoming implementation of Home Rule, do we get the risk of the Conservative party splintering over just how far to push civil disobedience by the anti-HR radicals within the Protestant community in Ulster? Would a series of sporadic clashes between the , now armed...
  19. H

The King's Birthday

Very interesting; a reminder of how Prince Edward of Westminster could have turned out if he had survived the battle of Tewkesbury and ended up in exile, as yet another no-hoper pretender taking to drink and reassuring himself that restoration was only a matter of time. An element of comparison...
  20. H

Africa during the Scramble: Exile to Paradise

The highest -profile literary appearance of the Andamans that I know of (and the first time that I had heard of them) is in the Sherlock Holmes story 'The Sign of Four'. The victim in the 'mystery of locked room murder' investigation is the son and heir of the late head of the Victorian era...