• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. O

Nicias isn't too clever by half in 415

Perhaps what Thebes did and take Messenia and put the helots in charge of it (as long as they stay on good terms with Athens, of course)?
  2. O

When did OTL leaders become 'plausible'?

One that occurs to me given recent events is that I imagine Lukashenka would be a "who?" in most TLs. Which is unusual for someone who was first elected legitimately getting 80%.
  3. O

Nicias isn't too clever by half in 415

WI he doesn't try to dissuade the Assembly from sending the Sicilian expedition by saying it would need to be three times the size planned, so they send a fleet the size originally intended, and the result when things go wrong is an embarrassing setback rather than an utter catastrophe? Does...
  4. O

Chains of Consequences: The Obscure Presidential Assassinations, pt 2 – William McKinley

McKinley was also the first candidate to have part of his campaign filmed (which was of course completely unrelated to his brother being a part owner of the first American film company).
  5. O

Best of all Possible Worlds: Utopian AH

Yeah, there is that, although the Klan had got crushed prior to that as well. I can't find the discussion now but yeah it was definitely more focused on what happened after that (which on reflection would probably temper things a bit more than came up)
  6. O

Best of all Possible Worlds: Utopian AH

It wasn't really to do with this, although it absolutely would apply, but I remember a discussion about Ruins of an American Party System on how, even thought it was clearly not a utopia by any stretch, it would be very hard for someone from TTL not to see at least the 30s and early 40s of OTL...
  7. O

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

London Metallurgy have, as of time of writing, been in Group Two since the beginning of the society-based championship, despite several promotion challenges and a relegation battle or two.
  8. O

Football PoDs and alternate possibilities.

Thought I might cross-post this:
  9. O

Shockingly convergent, and not really sure it fits, but for a bit of fun: List of football champions in the English Workers' Commonwealth English Football Championship (Council teams under Olympic system) 1919-20 Birmingham XI 1920-21 London XI 1921-22 Huddersfield XI 1922-23 Bolton and...
  10. O

As a tangent to this, I just found something on AH.com where you were complaining about (I think) Brown treating the Ministry of All the Talents as something to be emulated and how this was historically illiterate.
  11. O

Football PoDs and alternate possibilities.

Thought that occurred just now - what if Leeds had beaten Watford at the Millennium Stadium in 2006 and made a much earlier return to the Premiership instead of falling down to League One the next season?
  12. O

Wasn't Churchill-Attlee called a National Government at the time as well?
  13. O

Chains of Consequences: A Bear of Very Big Influence

IIRC AA Milne and Christopher Robin had previously played it at a bridge near their home (or at least the locals claim so to drum up the tourist trade from people like me wanting to play it at said bridge).
  14. O

Doesn't it come up in Gordon Banks how people could self-describe as anything at that point as well, with "Labour Loyalists" standing against the Labour splitters in some seats despite Labour officially not?
  15. O

I'm not entirely sure they actually formed a party as such in that anyway (at least at first), I think they would self-describe as Conservatives in a National Government. Personally I'd also associate it at least as much with Lloyd George (admittedly not necessarily much better) and Simon. But...
  16. O

Ooh, very good, if possibly a bit optimistic. @Sulemain Does South Africa have television yet TTL?
  17. O

Second Amendment Cases Between Miller and Heller

The two (rather contradictory) main Supreme Court rulings on the amendment in the last century are US v Miller in 1939 ("In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a ‘shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length’ at this time has some reasonable...
  18. O

AH Run-downs, summaries and general gubbins

Oh this is great, and gives me a much better idea of what's going on - at least in some ways. Couple of questions: 1. I thought the parties were themselves called factions TTL? 2. From this it sounds like the factions/parties are more "run against each other in first round, mutually withdraw in...
  19. O

Alternate History at the 2020 Hugos

AIUI (which basically means "something @Ciclavex said once") in Spanish the main difference with fantasia is whether it harks to the epic tradition. So I'd imagine it'd include some urban fantasy but not others. But apparently stuff that is considered fantasia in Spanish is definitely sometimes...
  20. O

More Successful Operation Dixie

Oh wow, whoops. Thanks for your thoughts, will think more about them tomorrow.