• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. T

Review - The Bear Cavalry by D.G. Valdron

I wonder, is this the DValdron who used to post on AH.com? Seems an unlikely coincidence of name if not.
  2. T

The Moscow Option: An Alternative Second World War

The latter is also the strategy @Meadow 's theatrical company used for their recent wargame-based interactive play; you're on a Royal Navy ship in the Med and WW2 has just broken out, but references to King Edward and so on are a hint that this TL diverged a few years ago and you can't rely on...
  3. T

Cartographicum Thandeum

Another scrappy map, with a rough outline of the Bosnian territory annexed by Danubia in 1848 following the collapse of the Janissary Sultanate:
  4. T

Cartographicum Thandeum

Scrappy map of changes to Scandinavia in the late 19th century
  5. T

Cartographicum Thandeum

Map of Germany after the Unification War from LTTW for use elsewhere:
  6. T

Harry Potter and the Shapeless Hat

Harry Potter and the Shapeless Hat
  7. T

Ryan's Reviews: Fatherland, by Robert Harris

It's called the Community in the book is it? I mean, that's even odder in some ways. Why would any Nazi-backed pan-European organisation use that same symbolism given its OTL origins? I know even otherwise intelligent authors can have absurdly convergent things, but it really did feel like it...
  8. T

Ryan's Reviews: Fatherland, by Robert Harris

I always bring up the fact that it has the OTL EU flag on the cover, and maybe that's the cover artist, but I think it's called the European Union in-story as well. Always felt that was going a bit far! Amusingly enough, I think it recently came out on social media that Harris is an FBPE type...
  9. T

Getting a UK prime minister to lose their seat

Or else for what wasn't a safe seat to become one once the PM represents it. Callaghan, Heath and Benn seem like the most plausible choices here.
  10. T

The Nominative Minefield

It's interesting to contrast this with how place-based surnames developed in England; they were usually given to identify someone who'd moved from a small village to a big town (it'd be rare for someone to move from London elsewhere in such a way that being from London would be their defining...
  11. T

The Nominative Minefield

If you'd ask me I'd say I would normally vaguely file Iceland under Europe, but clearly I haven't internalised that because I know about Icelandic patronymics but didn't mention it there. (I learned about these from How 2, where they mainly used it to bring up how strange the names of Fred...
  12. T

Remember the acronym with the super easy, everyday mnemonic "All SKulls Must COnsume fleSH"

Remember the acronym with the super easy, everyday mnemonic "All SKulls Must COnsume fleSH"
  13. T

I would also be remiss if I did not mention that @Charles EP M. turns this into an art form in Chamberlain Resigns. This is true, of course, but I don't think they succeed very well (for the most part - varies from essay to essay) at what they were intended for, either. Felt too often like...
  14. T

I can link these two posts by pointing out that one thing the What If? books did achieve was to inspire my enjoyable habit of writing LTTW history book segments in the style of "stuffy historian with stick up his backside who isn't as clever as he thinks he is".
  15. T

I wonder if there are any articles from the time where people comment on how the revelations change things like WW2-based wargames (I imagine that would be a more direct and quantifiable thing rather than on scholarly analyses, which might lag behind).
  16. T

You make a good point re. India, given this was also seriously considered and tried by the Russians during the Napoleonic Wars, I wonder if it sounds too unrealistic to us just because it didn't happen (but not to the point that it would be trivial or likely, of course). What always sticks out...
  17. T

Skinny makes this one sound very interesting - I've always got time for WW2 AH analyses written in an earlier period when it was still well within living memory for much of the population. Often they are flawed because certain information had not yet come to light at the time, but they also...
  18. T

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Thanks - might not be for a while as I already have one election-based project I intend to do if I have any time to myself with the university term starting soon!
  19. T

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Had an idea for a list but I might turn it into a full TLIAD, as I've not done one of those for a bit.
  20. T

Review: Time and Time Again

Wasn't able to sershal meedja this till now as I was travelling today, but will do so now.