• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. U

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Electoral History of Francis Fisher 1905: Member of the House of Representatives for City of Wellington (Independent Liberal) 1905 (by) def: Charles Izard (Liberal), John Hutcheson (Liberal-Labour) 1905: Member of the House of Representatives for City of Wellington (New Liberal) 1905-1908...
  2. U

Vallags-ympning

Herefordshire was a mistake.
  3. U

No, just an expression of disgusted approval for your philthy analogue list.
  4. U

Just to be clear, there is no Freiwirtschaft movement here IOTL, I've just merged Social Credit (which was an Existent Belief for over twenty years before the party was founded, of course), with the equally existent belief of Georgism, which was a minority position in the Liberal Party in the...
  5. U

Leaders of the National Party 1936-1942: Charles Wilkinson 1942-1945: Harry Atmore Leaders of the New Liberal Party 1943-1952: William Bodkin 1952-1956: Edgar Neale 1956-1969: Rolland O’Regan Leaders of the Social Liberal Party 1969-1973: Rolland O’Regan 1973-1975: John O’Brien 1975-1988...
  6. U

AH Run-downs, summaries and general gubbins

Member Parties of the Social Credit International Secretariat Ralliement Creditiste: Still smarting from the loss of defector Maxime Bernier in Beauce, the Francophone delegation is chastened and divided between pro-Bernier 'supply management' populists and the old school separationists. For...
  7. U

SLP 'Telephone' Maps and Graphics Game

See... I know nothing about American politics, so I was really fortunate to receive Von Callay's memes and not either of the previous two. Even so, I could see no mention of New Zealand-based microparties in any of said memes, so I was still on shaky ground. In a stroke of inspiration, I...
  8. U

I was only going to do it as a vaguely 'rhyming' analogue until I thought of that joke, and then it was like "No, this has to be as close as possible except with less Social Credit".
  9. U

New Zealand Legislative Council elections 1919: Liberal [16], Reform [15], Progressive [6], Labour [2] The Massey Government of 1912-19, which had never had a solid majority, came to an end with the exit of Joseph Ward's Liberals from the wartime coalition. At around the same time, the Reform...
  10. U

NZ Legislative Council Reform

I'm not particularly down on the over-representation of the South Island in these schemes - upper houses are there to challenge the lower house to cater for particular groups of people, be that The Rich (in the House of Lords), people outside the political mainstream (in the Australian Senate)...
  11. U

The Bell Bills Sir Francis Henry Dillon Bell, NZ's second-shortest-serving Prime Minister, was a patrician political dynast who was compared to Asquith by his friends. His father was an inaugural member of the Legislative Council and Leader of Government business there; his son was the last...
  12. U

The Russell Bills George Warren Russell was another left-wing Liberal who - moreover - had trained as a Methodist Minister but quailed at the requirement to move around. As such, he went on to operate newspapers in four different towns and cities. Unusually for someone of his political and...
  13. U

The Steward Bills Sir William Steward, the former Speaker and then-current MP for Waitaki, introduced a series of private members' bills in the late stages of the Liberal Government, and came the closest to victory of any previous reformist. Legislative Council Reform Bill, 1904 Although...
  14. U

Minor Liberal Bills As the 1890s dawned, the Liberal Party formed in opposition to the conservative Government of which Whitaker formed part, and then took power in a nailbiting election - it wasn't clear exactly how many of the elected members would actually support the Liberals, so there was...
  15. U

The Whitaker Bills Sir Frederick Whitaker, a conservative Premier, was one of the only talented Legislative Councillors, and was steadfast in supporting reform. During the 1880s, just after he stopped being Premier for the last time, he introduced a spate of reform bills which - unlike Grey's -...
  16. U

I'm going to do a series of posts discussing every attempt that was made to reform New Zealand's upper house, which was established in 1854 and eventually petered out in 1950, having contributed little to the nation. Although an elected chamber was discussed at the outset, it was put in the Too...
  17. U

Mayor Henry George

Thanks for the shout-out! Obviously I know nothing about American history and politics, but am I right in saying that local government was funded by property taxes at this point, and that this was controversial? Of course, even if George implemented an LVT on the local level, that would hardly...
  18. U

What would a Common-Wealth Party Government Be Like?

Their manifesto, A New Social Order, pledged common, co-operative ownership of the means of production - a key point of difference with Labour, which was decried for only aspiring to the nationalisation of key industries. The Common Wealth policy would, it would argued, usher in a utopia in...
  19. U

The Metro Goldwyn Mayor Metropolitan Mayors of Auckland 1962-1965: Dove-Myer Robinson (Civic Reform) [1] 1962 def: Hugh Lambie (Independent) 1965-1968: Keith Hay (Independent) [2] 1965 def: Dove-Myer Robinson (Independent), George Forsyth (Labour) 1968-1977: Dove-Myer Robinson (Independent) [3]...