• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by ShortsBelfast

1. S

Westminster with Proportional Representation. Part 3.

While the findings of the Covid enquiry are distinctly unedifying and we probably came through the period as relatively well as we did more by good luck than by good judgement, I would contend that we could have done considerably worse than OTL. 1) Antivaxxer at either No 10 or DoH; 2) Someone...
  2. S

A Christmas Tale

A wonderful story! Merry Christmas to all!
  3. S

Poll: A more varied likes system

I would like to see something slightly more measured. There's posts that I feel that I can't "like" because of their content (such as reports of atrocities in the Israel/Palestine or Ukraine War threads) where I feel it both trivialises what has been said and could be misunderstood as having an...
  4. S

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

I never have, but Lowestoft might be a bit too big and urban by Suffolk standards.
  5. S

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

John Sherman rather than William as a President surely? William T Sherman detested politics and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to be acting Secretary of War under U.S. Grant for a couple of months OTL. He was definitely in the "if nominated I will not run and if elected I will not...
  6. S

French Politics in a 1918 CP Victory?

There's also the issue of the Imperial Russian money that went into French politics and journalism to secure the French alliance and, among other things, secure Poincare's election. OTL this was exposed by the Communists in the 1920s. In a non-victorious France this political interference will...
  7. S

A “British” May 68’

Now have we never told you the story of the blessed St. Patrick?
  8. S

A “British” May 68’

Now it was pre Czechoslovakia which could have affected this thinking had he survived (though Hungary didn't majorly) but Gaitskell was even keener on cutting defence spending than Wilson was. He was pro nuclear deterrent yes, but partly because it was very cost effective for what it did. He is...
  9. S

Insulting a Regiment

The Connaught Rangers were commonly known as the "Devil's Own" and were regarded as the most skilled thieves in the Victorian and Edwardian British Army (where they would have faced much competition for the title!)
  10. S

Writing AH: Anachronisms, Part 2.

And "fierce" in Norn Iron as an emphasis. "It's a fierce cold day" doesn't entirely depart from the original meaning but "It was fierce fun" or "They were giving the stuff away, the bargains were fierce". And then there was the visiting lecturer at Queens University who was needlessly alarmed to...
  11. S

Writing AH: Anachronisms, Part 2.

"Pompous" is another good example. Before the advent of the Romantic movement it would have been used in an entirely positive sense- literally "in full pomp", and giving a sense of something stately, regal, awe-inspiring. Today, it is entirely used in a critical and negative sense
  12. S

Without WWII happening, Germany beating France, and 'wounding' the USSR by invading it, the USSR would have been naturally set to rule over Europe

It was perceived to be, which isn't quite the same thing. It was perceived to be the world 's second most powerful military back in January. I have read that the amount of exaggerations about achievement, double counting etc. was so bad in the Soviet economy that, by the time of the fall of...
  13. S

"Hipster" Politicians Thread

I would personally have been very interested in A.V. as Labour leader but remember that all this is help and advice to an American (I think -or possibly Canadian) author who was wanting help with the British and German aspects of a US timeline. He wanted Ernie Bevin as Foreign Secretary at...
  14. S

First "Rab Butler masterminds the Conservative surprise victory with his strategy in the campaign to accept the welfare state and instead turn to the attention to the rising power of Germany post 1943 (the end of the Great European War)."- Plausible, Butler was a progressive Conservative and...
  15. S

Successor to Rab Butler- Butler does work as a ten year PM but I don't see Eden as his likely successor. By 1956 Eden was a sick man (which probably didn't help his handling of Suez OTL). If no WW2 maybe Ronald Cartland? Or David Eccles or Ralph Assheton? Oliver Lyttleton's economic ideas would...
Back