• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by SenatorChickpea

1. S

Africa during the Scramble: The Last Kingdom

I do love the idea that Italy lost to Ethiopia because they somehow bungled the classic Waitangi manoeuvre.
  2. S

Africa during the Scramble: The Last Kingdom

As a general rule of thumb, I think that politics can change very quickly; society takes much longer. I am not, obviously, talking about the social changes brought about following political upheaval or after a major technological advance: but basic ideas about race, class, gender, sexuality and...
  3. S

UK retains more of the British empire post 1945

Upon reflecting, writing the CYOA may have been an enormously dickish idea. I'll leave it up since people have seen it and I won't pretend I didn't do it, but I apologise @Venocara- that crossed the line into being a prat.
  4. S

The only scenario I can see where China would march in, or as you say threaten to do so, is if Britain publicly announces that there will be no handover in any circumstances. That's only because it would be such a direct challenge to the authority of any government in Beijing (or Nanking or...
  5. S

Let's play a Choose Your Own Adventure! NOTE: This assumes a post-1898 POD, as per the last post. If we're going with a formal cession of the New Territories, the initial situation is a little easier- but the basic parameters (run on the stock market as soon as Britain announces it will start...
  6. S

It's worth noting that Britain recognized the Communists as the legitimate rulers of China almost immediately. So they wouldn't be 'as staunchly anti-Communist as they were in say the 1960s,' they would be much more anti-communist. In such a case, I'd expect the Chinese to keep putting pressure...
  7. S

And my other points? I don't mean to be rude, but late Victorian diplomacy is my professional field. I've done the reading on this. I've sat in the archives. My point is not that Britain and Italy are equivalent powers, my point is that the Qing do not simply have to roll over- Britain could...
  8. S

No. Britain was democratic within the island of Britain itself- even Northern Ireland, by many standards, was not a democracy in 1956. However, if you were an adult in British territory in that year, than the lottery of birth meant you were vastly more likely to not have the franchise. The...
  9. S

It makes neither assumption. It does make the assumption that some form of Chinese nationalism will continue to entrench itself and that there will be some form of Chinese state; but while the way that nationalism asserts itself might well change dramatically, I don't think anyone here would...
  10. S

If I had been ... :Ten Historical Fantasies (1979)

Fascinating! Do you have a link?
  11. S

AH Cooperative Lists Thread

Sorry @Aolbain, I'm quoting you at the end- just addressing a slight continuity error that I noticed crept in (the opening paragraph made promises we didn't keep.) The Discourse Presents: Seven Losing Campaigns which Changed British Politics While winners are usually the ones who write the...
  12. S

The Discourse Presents: Seven Losing Campaigns which Changed British Politics While winners are usually the ones who write the history books, the person who loses can have an impact as well. A losing challenger can make an impact by affecting the policies of the winner, or they can be the sign...
  13. S

Commander-in-Chief Combined Allied Forces Command, Western Europe October 1939 - March 1940: Edmund Ironside (UK) [1] March 1940 - August 1940: Maurice Gamelin (France) [2] August 1940 - January 1941: Victor, Baron van Strydonck de Burkel (Belgium) [3] January 1941 - June 1941: Maxime Weygand...
  14. S

NEW RELEASES: Box Press, The Oregon War, Travellers in an Antique Land

Thanks for the hard work in publishing this.
  15. S

Least favorite alt-history story?

If there's one good lesson to learn from the Draka series, it's that it's the hyperexample of a work set in Africa that has no interest whatsoever in Africa or Africans. For that matter, it doesn't even have any real interest in Afrikaaners either- even if you're just going to be using the Evil...