• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by SenatorChickpea

1. S

Book Nook: If It Had Happened Otherwise

I feel like SLP should adopt it. Liam Connell (Third Place Year Six Free-Style, Winner Year 13 Speech Competition)
  2. S

Book Nook: If It Had Happened Otherwise

I do recommend this book for anyone who's interested in the history of this genre. Once you get past the ludicrously posh authors, it really is very interesting to see just how similar the work is to much of the stuff being done here on ah.com.
  3. S

What if Diem loses the Battle of Saigon - 1955

@monroe Sorry, that sounded sharper than I meant. I agree- Camus is a big figure. Hmm... Vignette idea: Orwell and Camus both survive, we play with a stronger anti-Soviet left in Europe that's tainted by.... er, erratic.... takes on decolonisation.
  4. S

What if Diem loses the Battle of Saigon - 1955

I dunno, I don't think there's anything inherently interesting in the continued life of Camus, it would come down entirely into what meaning we actively chose to assign to it.
  5. S

The Alternate Lavender Island: Nathan Goldwag

Great interview with an interesting writer. Good work David.
  6. S

The Thirty-Sixth HoS List Challenge

I'm not a Brit, but I like to think I've picked up a decent understanding of a certain sort of middle-class Englishness.
  7. S

The Thirty-Sixth HoS List Challenge

The Rest is Wish Fulfillment Iskander considered the mortal carefully. It was, the great djinn thought, familiar with the ways of wishers. Since he had first been bound in the time of Babylon, since he had first been borne from the winds of fire to the squalor of this plane, their whims were...
  8. S

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

This is brilliant.
  9. S

Ave Império: What if Brazil reformed in 1889?

There's a lot of stuff that looks interesting here, but it moves very fast- for example, what actually prompts the General Assembly to pass reforms?
  10. S

Westminster with Proportional Representation. Part 2

What a delightful little thought experiment.
  11. S

Poll: A more varied likes system

I'm torn- on the one hand, I don't want to have too many options because I think that will quickly become its own sort of toxic social signalling. On the other hand, as @ShortsBelfast says it does feel odd to 'like' a post because it's got an informative position on an atrocity. My preferred...
  12. S

If Corbyn didn't stand: Lavery, Mearns, or Trickett?

Just to be clear, you're suggesting that it's not that the media exaggerated the antisemitism scandals, you're saying that the media chose to run an 'antisemitism campaign' and would have done so anyway, regardless of the actual candidate? That does seem to be what you're saying.
  13. S

The Alternate Lavender Island. Guest: Tom Anderson

What a delightful idea. And good picks too.
  14. S

WI: A Democratic Imperial Japan in the 20th Century

Avoiding the threat of the USSR- either by a White victory leading to a weak government or a mutilated Red victory- might certainly take the heat out of many of the radical army officers. Conversely, strengthening China weakens Japanese power but potentially strengthens Japanese diplomacy. A...
Back