• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Omi

1. O

Singapore stays in Malaysia

I was doing some reading and wondered if it was possible for Singapore to stay in the Malaysian federation and what the effects would be
  2. O

Africa During the Scramble: Guns of the Sotho

The utter ability of bartle frere. To ruin things. I’m half tempted to write to Haileybury asking for his. Name to be removed from one of the house there a prime candidate for that
  3. O

Africa During the Scramble: The Spider in the Web

19th century Southern Africa is such an interesting place so many things in flux
  4. O

Africa During the Scramble: The Years without Food

Yes
  5. O

yes but illorin was in the grey area between the forest and the savannah. which is why it was a battleground between sahelian and forest empires
  6. O

yes its one of those countries that cant seem to catch a break same with chad
  7. O

• I always thought that the tsete flies existed pre 19th century as south of niger cattle and horses had a very hard time surviving. ( thats why the oyo empire kept its calvary in peace time illorin rather than further south.) I didn't realise it actually expanded the reach . Also i didn't...
  8. O

Africa During the Scramble: A French India

Hilarious. I think the Gabon and case would be have been diffrent with the earlier discovery of or a slightly different french regime same applies to Cabinda and Lourenço Marques If Portugal expanded slower
  9. O

Africa During the Scramble: The not so Free Towns

very interesting how the freetown /sierra leone situation also applied to Lagos vs the rest of Nigeria together with Cape Coast /Gold coast. they were basically footholds to advance into the hinterland. The Gambia was the failed one due to the French interests there. Lovely to see you back...
  10. O

Africa During the Scramble: The Settler's Republic

Yes but by the 40 -50s the Afro Brazilians had mostly integrated into the local culture as a small subgroup with some characteristics like frejon for Easter
  11. O

An interesting wi is if Garvey succeeded or if the Liberians integrated with hinterland. Liberia is one place that is always a sad history it could have been very different
  12. O

On this article the America Liberians abs Sierra Leone were unique in the fact that unlike the Portuguese slave returnees in Lagos Dahomey and the Gold Coast they didn’t try to integrate with the local cultures
Back