• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by MAC161

1. M

Grant's 3rd Term?

Re-reading Chernow's biography of U.S. Grant, and while I'm not yet at this point in the timeline, I'm prompted to ask: What if Grant had gained a third term, in either 1876 or 1880? The first choice seems unlikeliest: Grant's admin was mired by scandals and hampered by the Long Depression...
  2. M

WI: No Vietnam War?

(Another VERY broad scenario, obviously, but one that nonetheless fascinates) Simply put: What if the Vietnam War didn't occur? The root of this question is the debate(s) I've read about how LBJ's Great Society and (stronger) civil rights efforts were starved of funding/political capital by his...
  3. M

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Sounds eerily plausible all around, given the setting. Also: Would Wallace still be a Democrat (even if just a DINO) or go for something like his AIP run of OTL, after what JFK's tried and (disastrously) failed to do with civil rights?
  4. M

This is great; thanks! One note: I seem to remember Bill Clinton . Granted, it was all described in a deliberately patchy/rushed fashion, so who knows; maybe he was trying for a Grover Cleveland, lol. Any thoughts on who the candidates would be in 2012 (if the timeline hadn't been changed, of...
  5. M

WI: Neutral Germany Post-1945?

(Just a random pondering, inspired by a passing mention/story element in a draft I wrote for Lilitou's "Alternate Elections" anthology) What would it take for a united, neutral Germany to be created in the wake of WWII (late 1940s-early 1950s)? The closest I've found to any proposals on this...
  6. M

Just out of curiosity: Has anyone done a list of Presidents post-JFK from Stephen King's 11/22/63?
  7. M

Ramifications of an Allied Victory in a 1938 War?

What If? 2 has a decent essay, "The War of 1938" which covers the state of the militaries on all sides at the time of the Munich Conference and analyzes fairly in-depth how an AH conflict with such might play out.
  8. M

Alternate History General Discussion

A bit of random speculation, after pondering the Oppenheimer movie: One key scene in the film makes clear how the persecution/extermination of Jews by the Nazis and European Fascists in general drove Einstein, Szilard, Frisch, Teller, Fermi and many other scientists of Jewish descent or...
  9. M

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

A flag probably based on this was used in the TV series Jericho, which might well be honorary alternate history by now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_(2006_TV_series)#/media/File:Jericho_flag_(TV_series).svg
  10. M

Indeed, and one of the key elements being considered for the story is how people from our time have to deal with what is, for the vast majority of them, a stunning/despicable level of casual/open racism in all of America, not just the South, and how Lincoln in ATL 1861-62 wouldn't be as strong...
  11. M

Alternate Wikibox Thread

As I am virtually tech- and design-illiterate beyond (most of) Office and email, may I request, from anyone with greater savvy, a wikibox for the election I've described in this thread? (Note: should include six faithless electors to the Dixiecrats, from Alabama and Florida)
  12. M

The original idea was one I'd used in another epistolary-style (email) AH draft: basically, a worse 9/11 leaves Cheney as President, things go much worse foreign and domestic policy-wise, a SCW breaks out in '08 when he refuses to recognize Warner/Feingold as having won the Pres. election that...
  13. M

One rough idea of mine that's been percolating for a while, and which I may at last start outlining for in January: Not long after a devastating Second Civil War, a squad of soldiers patrolling near Gettysburg discovers a rift in time, leading to the early 1850s. Eventually, a government-funded...
  14. M

No D.C. Retrocession?

Just a random speculation, after perusing some details on D.C. history: What if retrocession of the Virginia portion of D.C. hadn't taken place, or been reversed, say in the wake of the Civil War or sometime later? A cursory reading suggest the first option isn't that likely, but the second...
  15. M

No Vichy France?

Yeah, seems the PODs in mind at the start of the thread need a lot of sixes being rolled, making them unworkable even for soft AH. Ah, well. The whitewashing of the Liberation would definitely be a bigger, sorer issue in the "Alternate Elections" story I have in mind. To go on a tangent...
Back