• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by M_Kresal

1. M

Least favorite alt-history story?

He’s had two books released via Baen in the last couple of years, including co-authoring The Romanov Rescue (discussed on the forum here) so he’s still being published. But that’s two books since 2019, so he’s either not writing much or being published the way he was.
  2. M

The Artemis Jumped Over the Moon

It is, indeed, as the original plan for dearMoon involved using the very same Crew Dragon capsule and a Falcon Heavy. That soon changed to the current plans for flying with Starship instead after SpaceX elected to focus on it instead of trying to get Flacon Heavy crew-rated.
  3. M

The Alternate Lavender Island: Matt Mitrovich

Some interesting choices from Mitrovitch (whose YouTube channel I recommend and, indeed, helped lead me to SLP as a publisher of my own output in 2020). I would never have thought of Fitzpatrick's War as being a sort of future AH piece, but he's right that it fits into a lot of AH tropes and...
  4. M

The Alternate Lavender Island: Matthew Kresal

Yeah I was out of work for four and a half months in 2020 when the university all but shut down and the bookstore with it. After the shock of the initial weeks and realizing I had time on my hands, I had one of my most productive writing periods (including penning Moonshot and editing Our Man on...
  5. M

Non-SLP Writing Opportunities

Purple Toga is taking pitches for their It Takes A Village and Rainbows Aren’t Just For Leprechauns anthologies.
  6. M

The Alternate Lavender Island: Nathan Goldwag

Given the premise, I tended to agree at first. Then I went looking for a copy of the novel and discovered part of the answer for why that might be. Namely, it doesn’t appear to have ever been published here in the States at all. Not even in a Kindle edition.
  7. M

The Multi-Faceted Nature of AH

Even then, some people don't take it to straight away. Michael Shannon talked in interviews around The Flash about his initial confusion being asked to reprise Zod because "I think I died in Man of Steel. Are they sure they got the right guy?'" Something that was only rectified when someone...
  8. M

An Alternate History of Horror XIX: Inspired by Actual Events

Nice to see The McPherson Tape and Alien Abduction: Incident on Lake County get a mention. Dean Alioto told stories from the making of both on the Somewhere in the Skies podcast a few years back. Apparently the master of the original film was lost in a fire at the distributor's, which saw it...
  9. M

The Moon Is Red: Apple TV does AH.

On the topic of FAM’s presidents, Tor’s website put out an article this past week on that topic and what’s arguably a problem with AH in general: Why are all the politicians familiar names?
  10. M

60 Years of Dr Who. Part 7: The Seventh Doctor

The latest entry in my series of Doctor Who articles is up on the blog.
  11. M

Alternate History General Discussion

Wondering if something is going on with Turtledove's upcoming Wages of Sin as I've gotten three emails from Amazon in the last week moving the release date from mid-December to mid-January next year, then early January, and now back to mid-December of this year. I've encountered the odd release...
  12. M

The Road to a New Alternate History. Part 2.

The magazines point is a good one. Indeed, one of my frequent frustrations in trying to get my AH stuff published was finding such a venue. the only one I've ever come across was the aforementioned Alt Hist but in the nine years of being aware of it, I could count on one hand the number of times...
  13. M

Alternate History and Stargate. Part 6

Even seeing it originally in the mid-noughties, it was one of those episodes were there always seemed to be potential for further exploration. In 40-odd minutes, (80-odd, including the sequel episode), there's so much world-building. The idea of someone doing something akin to the Trek novel The...
  14. M

Least favorite alt-history story?

As Kirk said of Khan: “I'll give him this: he's consistent!”
  15. M

Alternate History in Star Trek part 7: The Final TOS Films, More Novels and Comics

For those in the US, Spock's World is among a number of Spock-centric titles marked down to 99 cents on Kindle/eBook via Simon & Schuster's monthly Trek book deals. I also noticed that John M. Ford's The Final Reflection is among the October titles, as well.
Back