• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by fluttersky

1. F

No Russian expansion south of the Caucasus

Why's that?
  2. F

I'm not sure how Russia deciding against expansion south of the Caucasus means they won't decide to get involved in Bulgaria.
  3. F

I'm not convinced that a weaker Russia would have stopped something similar occurring though. The Ottoman Empire was on the decline regardless, nationalism was on the rise. If Russia was still interested in the Balkans then one could imagine them supporting Bulgarian independence.
  4. F

WW1 would not happen in a recognizably similar way, but the long term trends of Ottoman decline, a rise in nationalism among minorities in the Ottoman Empire (Greeks, Armenians, Bulgarians, Assyrians, etc), and an increase in hostility to the Christian minorities by the Ottoman leadership, are...
  5. F

Sounds unlikely to me- the lack of Russian presence in Assyria didn't stop the Assyrian Genocide. I don't think Armenian nationalism would be killed off by the lack of Armenian majority areas either. One interesting implication though may be that with the migration of Armenians from Western...
  6. F

Singapore stays in Malaysia

I would imagine that eventually TTL Malaysia would pretty much become a mega-Singapore, with ethnic-Malay nationalism slowly fading away. Sarawak and Sabah probably get absorbed into Indonesia.
  7. F

[ASB] Sea level drops by 50 metres in the early 20th century

The maximum rate of sea level drop would be around one inch per day. Enough that it can be adjusted to. I don't really think that argument about fishing/agriculture being unviable and world trade collapsing is likely to be accurate. My intent behind this ISOT scenario was very much one of...
  8. F

Remember that this scenario involves the sea level dropping gradually, not suddenly. They'd probably have stay anchored at sea a lot until the sea level stabilizes and then new ports would steadily grow.
  9. F

The capacity for ships, both civilian and military, to function in the event of an unstable sea level leading to presumably temporary wooden port facilities regularly moving, is quite an important question in this ISOT scenario for this reason among others. Japan has the advantage that parts of...
  10. F

Well, given one of Earth's six mass extinctions is in process anyway, it would just further contribute to that. I expect the biggest decline would be in the sort of wildlife that flourished in intertidal areas (Waddenzee etc), as that's the category least able to adapt (whereas one would expect...
  11. F

I would say people just figure it out as it happens– ASB influence is intended to be minimal so that people can pass it off as just an unusual geographic event and proceed with life as normal rather than the stronger impact of people knowingly witnessing an act of God. When it comes to valuable...
  12. F

Climate changes would happen but probably not be extremely drastic considering the sea level being that level has been very common historically
  13. F

Something like 1 metre in 1900, 3 metres in 1901, 5 in 1902, 6 in 1903, 7 in each of 1904-06, 6 in 1907, 5 in 1908, 3 in 1909, 1 in 1910. Less than a centimetre per day for the first two years should make moving boats easy enough
  14. F

Inspired by the novel Flood by Stephen Baxter, but in the other direction... Let us imagine that over a ten year period between the year 1900 and 1910 or so, the global sea level gradually drops by around 50 metres and then stabilizes at the new level. The drop starting off slowly, then...
  15. F

Queen Victoria dies in 1835

I suppose one option would be to pass a law excluding monarchs of other countries and their issue from the line of succession, thereby invalidating Ernest Augustus thanks to his position as King of Hanover, and ensuring the Duke of Sussex becomes King. That may be easier to justify than...
Back