• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by ChrisNuttall

1. C

Alternate History General Discussion

The simplest solution is to have the UK defeated at Dunkirk or to feel, for some other reason, that continuing the war is a bad idea. This would probably mean Churchill not becoming PM, which might happen if the blame for Norway was placed on him instead of someone else. Halifax didn’t have...
  2. C

There might be additional troubles in Mexico, leading to the formation of a bigger US army. Chris
  3. C

Yep, but Londo is introduced as a likable character. He doesn't go downhill until we have grown to like him. (G'Kar seems more the bad guy, at first.) Trying to make Nazis the heroes, for example, isn't going to work well. They might not know any better, if they grew up in a Nazi Victory TL...
  4. C

I tried that once. It wasn't easy to have the bad guys be likable, but bad, if you kept them as POV characters. Chris
  5. C

Long-Lasting Protectorate

I think part of the problem was that Cromwell’s son was not anything like as strong or capable as his father, a problem that mirrored the experience of many British kings and their successors. (Edward I and II, for example.) Any longer-lasting protectorate would need a different line of...
  6. C

WI: McClellan became dictator

I think it would be very difficult for the Army of the Potomac to be marched on Washington without someone saying no, as the US - even of that era - was not a banana republic. It would be difficult for anyone to launch a coup and then gain/retain legitimacy long enough to secure control of the...
  7. C

The Marble Man: The Guns of the South, The Lost Cause, and Harry Turtledove

There was an incident in Sandhurst, IIRC, when they hired an American to lecture cadets about the American Civil War. It became a little problematic when it was discovered that he was teaching 'the war of northern aggression' ...
  8. C

I never had the impression, going by unreliable memory, that the AWB had the resources of a modern-day state behind them. They had AK-47s, a handful of more advanced weapons, history books, radios and a small number of other things. They didn’t have tanks, aircraft or nukes. That suggests, to...
  9. C

Well, in this case (to be fair, again), GOTSForrest would have lost an election, seen AWB show a terrifying disregard for the rule of law (insofaras it existed within the CSA) by launching a terrorist attack against the President and his cabinet. It's quite reasonable for him to think 'OMG...
  10. C

To be fair, Lee did free the saves at the end of the book and, unless we assume he wrote a line that said 'President Lee gets to keep his slaves' we can be reasonably sure his slaves got freed to. Yes (I think - Forrest isn't one of the guys I studied intensely), but - again, to be fair - THIS...
  11. C

I think there are some points that need to be taken into account. Turtledove does not put forward a strong ‘Lost Cause’ mentality - he does point out that the CSA was (is, in GOTS) a slave-owning nation, that slavery was practically part of the fabric of that nation and that slavery was EVIL...
  12. C

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, some of the critical remarks are justified. On the other, some of them are quite unfair to the historical characters and to Turtledove as an author. Chris
  13. C

I got into it through alien invasion books, which led me to WorldWar. I wouldn't have started with a timeline.
  14. C

To be fair, wars and suchlike are more interesting than social change, at least to the newcomer. Chris
  15. C

WI: King Frederick of Prussia 'Comes Out'?

It's hard to say because attitudes were very different back then - some cultures thought there was nothing wrong with 'topping' but being the 'bottom' - i.e. allowing yourself to be sodemised - was shameful. Frederick being the king would have other implications (just as James I of England was...