• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by ChrisNuttall

1. C

Least favorite alt-history story?

It depends. Any historical figure, good or bad, operated within a framework that dictated what they could or couldn't do. From our point of view, FDR should have declared war on Nazi Germany on 1939 or attacked Japan in 1940 ... perhaps even made far more obvious preparations for war in 1941...
  2. C

Least favorite alt-history story?

It depends on how well they're researched and written. Chris
  3. C

Vast and Cool and Unsympathetic: 'The War of the Worlds' in Alternate History

The invastion itself is pretty well detailed. The aftermath is terrible. (World Wars One and Two as OTL?) Chris
  4. C

Vast and Cool and Unsympathetic: 'The War of the Worlds' in Alternate History

A lot would depend on how easy it was to understand the technology - without a live alien, or a different key, it might just be impossible. Chris
  5. C

Essex Launches a Coup, 1599

In 1598, Essex (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Devereux,_2nd_Earl_of_Essex) was in deep political trouble, made worse because he was on the outs with Queen Elizabeth, when he was put in command of military operations in Ireland. This was win-win from Elizabeth’s point of view - either...
  6. C

AH Fiction Settings

One of the things I’ve been considering, in my desire to do another pure AH novel, is the problem of finding a setting that doesn’t require massive infodumping and/or crosstime travel. PODS in the Second World War, American Civil War and American Revolution are fairly common because they’re...
  7. C

48 BC: if Cicero had come to lead the Pompeians after Pharsalia

From what I’ve read, Cicero had probably burned through a lot of his goodwill at that point - Caesar regarded him as a useless buffoon with no real power base, while Mark Antony hated him. And he was thoroughly unmilitary, which wouldn’t endear him to the others. That said, if he did take...
  8. C

Conquest of the British Raj

Interesting question. The Russians would have faced IMMENSE logistical problems in deploying an army across Central Asia - Afghanistan was one hell of a roadblock, as the British found out - and it would be very difficult for them to get a creditable force into striking range of British...
  9. C

Space Bats & Butterflies - Book One

Got it, liked it Chris
  10. C

Interviewing the AH Community: Chris Nuttall of Changing the Times

Weirdly enough, the first time i looked at the interview on my laptop it crashed ... is that a good or bad sign <grin> Chris
  11. C

Out Now – Fantastic Schools, Volume One

Yep <grin> I think you could have a lot of fun with a version of LC ... <grin>
  12. C

Out Now – Fantastic Schools, Volume One

This and the second volume (coming soon) include stories by AHers ... https://chrishanger.wordpress.com/2020/06/26/out-now-fantastic-schools-volume-one/ Have you ever wanted to go to magic school? To cast spells and brew potions and fly on broomsticks and—perhaps—battle threats both common...
  13. C

The African Samurai

According to the below book, an African bodyguard accompanied a Jesuit mission to China in the 16th century. This man, who took the name Yasuke, was either traded or gifted to a local warlord, the most powerful man in the region at the time, and became a trusted advisor and Samurai. His new...
  14. C

Trouble in the Wind (The Phases of Mars)

With an intro and story by yours truly ... " Eighteen outstanding authors. Sixteen stories of ground warfare that never happened. Throughout the human experience, historians have wondered, “What if?” What if Sherman had fought for the South in the U.S. Civil War? What if Germany had fought to...
  15. C

The Battle Of Dorking: What Next?

You make it sound like a bad thing <grin>. Not that I have any ulterior motives, of course ...