• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Bonniecanuck

1. B

Geopolitics of 'Godzilla Minus One'

One question I have is what business the U.S. would have reinstating the very few ex-IJN vessels left to Japanese control, especially in the hands of civilians. At this point they'd have been fully disarmed and, having fulfilled their duty as repatriation transports, been awaiting disposal. The...
  2. B

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

An early Kuomintang anthem from the Northern Expedition was about destroying warlords and imperialism - set to the tune of Frère Jacques. I'd also be remiss not to mention the multitude of patriotic songs by the Korean independence movement set to foreign anthems and songs, like the...
  3. B

Sport and Politics: The Olympic Games. Part 5

Even back then the Second World War jokes must have abounded. Also one hilarious repercussion of the Eastern Bloc boycott of the LA Olympics was that McDonald's lost a lot of money on a promotion where they gave away free food if an American athlete mounted the podium, with free Big Macs for...
  4. B

Earliest High-Speed Rail in the UK?

Ah, that's egg on my face for not brushing up on my London geography and putting two and two together. I wonder what would come of the central London terminals in that case.
  5. B

To steer things back to the original topic, one thing I am wondering is what an earlier high-speed railway would entail for London's railway terminals, and indeed the same for other cities' main stations. Let's assume the proto-HS1 of the 70s is built like what @Callan suggested. How feasible is...
  6. B

At this point I think British Rail would be in too deep with the APT and HST projects (and the resultant infighting) that would sap any will for dedicated high-speed lines. A Heathite continuity probably wouldn't push a rushed APT into service like the Thatcher government did, but the time and...
  7. B

Book Nook: Agent Lavender, by Tom Black and Jack Tindale.

I constantly find myself re-reading because every time I do there's always a little detail about the wider world that I only just then pick up on. I daresay the book has made me better at reading between the lines. One thing I do wonder is whether similar opinions were held towards John...
  8. B

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

The Pepsi and Singapore Airlines Concorde.
  9. B

Insulting a Regiment

Ship nicknames are fodder for these. Australia's last aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne was nicknamed the "Can Opener" after she collided with and sank two destroyers. Battleship USS South Dakota was nicknamed the "Shitty Dick" by the sailors of USS Washington after credit was attributed to the...
  10. B

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Fair enough. I do wonder if anyone has speculated on alternate possibilities for FABR given "if x did this instead" comes up a number of times in the 1940 side, even if it's usually regarding the British Revolution.
  11. B

I do have the e-books, and the list does seem right to me. Only thing that looks off is some of the parties for the 1936 election are missing like the Celtic nationalists, but other than that it checks out. I'd post the relevant graphic here but don't want to fall afoul of the copyright unless...
  12. B

Had an epiphany for a very cracked idea based off my last comment in the Macau convo. List of Governors of Hong Kong 1947-1957: Sir Alexander Grantham (1957-1958: Edgeworth Beresford David - Administrator as Colonial Secretary) 1958-1963: Sir Robert Brown Black † (1963-1964: Claude Bramall...
  13. B

China's Operation Vijay

Focusing on Hong Kong, I'd imagine the authorities would probably be sufficiently spooked to demand reinforcements for BFOHK to say the least, but regarding other effects that probably depends on what we're considering "the next few years," given how fluid the political situation in China was...
  14. B

Bonnie's Struggle to Learn Wikiboxing

Map of the Harbour Railway, Hong Kong's urban railway system. This map includes the seven heavy regional rail lines and light rail services on radial railway (interurban) corridors. For simplicity it does not include bus or tram services, nor does it include the multitude of ferry services that...
  15. B

Andrej Babiš is that you
Back