• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Blackadder Mk2

1. B

If those who had died in "their time" had lived longer (if Oscar Wilde had seen WWI and other ideas)

I've heard people say that George Orwell was moving rightwards near the end of his life, but that may have just been a reaction to discovering his part in giving names to MI5 and his general anti-Soviet attitudes. Another thirty years and he may have gone right-wing, but maybe he would have...
  2. B

The Powell Effect

The main reason I'd say possibly not (but you may be right) would be that Powell's election was IIRC a rejection of the Mosley corporatist consensus and Europe might be included in that. Hard to confirm one way or the other since we don't know much about the world of AGB's Epilogue the way we do...
  3. B

WI: President Nixon (1961-???)

Last I recall he went on hiatus due to doing an MA. It might've been that the project looked too overwhelming to come back to (he was branching into a lot of sections of history during the 1960s), or he's now doing stuff that he thought the TL even being up would interfere with.
  4. B

Least favorite alt-history story?

Actually, I've yet to read an ACW TL where Siberia is replaced by a giant picture of Dimebag Darrell and thus they, and all other AH, wither by comparison.
  5. B

Least favorite alt-history story?

As far as I can tell, most ACW stories/threads back in the day served the same purpose as the old Map Games i.e. dominate the thread ASAP so that it looks like everyone agrees that your side is academically superior. In the case of the Map Games, it was either having the world-map turn pink but...
  6. B

What would a Gore presidency look like?

Elektronaut can answer this better than I could, but the big thing is going to be No Iraq. Gore, IIRC, was one of the few high-profile Democrats who opposed the war (as one of the few high-profile Democrats to back the Gulf War) which added to the myth of the Lost Presidency. Gore's re-election...
  7. B

Thatcher-In-Rhodesia

The Anglo-Irish Agreement point is interesting since it did lead to Gow's resignation and I think even David Owen noted that it might've been too generous. Certainly get the sense Thatcher had her doubts the moment after signing it, although this was post-resignation Thatcher so a lot of stuff...
  8. B

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Someone like Japhy or Mumby will know more, but I can imagine the Progressive Party imploding over Teddy taking America into the war and he returns to the Republicans. By 1920, having passed the Treaty of Verseilles or wherever and put America into the World League, foreign policy is split...
  9. B

Prevent Brown from becoming Labour leader in 2007

The easy answer is that Brown chucks a phone, someone goes to the hospital, and he's ruined. Not very nice to him though. The trickier answer is figuring out how to handle Blair's fear of Brown and what could be seen as the internal belief that he somehow robbed Gordon of the job (the former...
  10. B

AHC: The SDP goes the way of TIG

TIG-CUK's problem is that the LibDems are not only an existing alternative but a far superior one with an established voter-base, geographic appeal, and policy programme. Being quite blunt, there was literally no reason for someone not to go Orange outside of egotism and/or a Labour-based sense...
  11. B

WI: Benn's Alternative Economic Strategy becomes Labour Party policy

One idea might be the Tories winning 1964 which leads to a Labour landslide in 1969. A Wilson defeat might embolden the Labour Right more though, so maybe Brown wins 1963? After that, the failure of the consensus in the early/mid-70s combined with party-pressure from below preventing an...
  12. B

British 1930's POD's.

Austen Chamberlain was convinced to oppose a vote of censure on the government over Hoare-Laval in exchange for the Foreign Office, which Baldwin never planned on giving him and instead named Eden. Even if Austen did force Baldwin to give him the job he would die in 1937, but let's say for...
  13. B

The Audience versus Operation Sealion: A new type of Alternate History Experience

Antifa has gone too far. In all seriousness, I suspect he was trying to have a laugh, but slightly worrying if 'fuck the enemy to death' is his answer to an invasion.
  14. B

AHC: Bring Down the Coalition

I tried outlining an alternative, but it felt very dependent on a certain set of events i.e. boundary changes being scheduled before Lords Reform so no quick retaliation, UKIP doing better, Yes winning the IndyRef, and Cameron and Clegg being replaced leading to a October-December 2014 election...
  15. B

AHC: Bring Down the Coalition

I suppose an easy answer would be to engineer an EU Referendum during the 2010-2015 Parliament, but I suspect that'd have needed it to be on the Tory Manifesto (which'd need Cameron in a weaker position) or the LibDems to fight harder for it (unlikely even if the 'when there's a new treaty' is...
Back