• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Aznavour

1. A

Alternate History General Discussion

Tag yourself, I’m reformed Austria-Hungary
  2. A

This genre could benefit as much from an influx of linguists as it would with people who knew economics. (Not actual economists though, those guys have weird ideas) Semi-related thought, if an AH has, say, a PoD in the 1600s but advances all the way to the 1900s, should the writer have his...
  3. A

Least favorite alt-history story?

For a second I thought this was part III of that President Disney TL.
  4. A

Wizards and Warriors finally got to the AH
  5. A

Personal Empires

Not sure if this counts as a proper historical phenomenon with a name that eludes me —if it even has a name—, but I did notice that while normal empires built over the span of generations by determined colonialists oppressing and exploiting whole nations, there also exists the cases of men...
  6. A

Queen Elizabeth's Golden Jubilee, 2022

EDT’s A Greater Britain said it was plausible, so I’d buy it. Anyhow, if we ignore fanciful scenarios such as Edward stealing a plane and parachuting over Bertchesgaden or Churchill having him killed, I remember someone suggesting him becoming increasingly isolated due to blunders when trying...
  7. A

What if an early European Coal and Steel Community is set up in 1919?

Could such an arrangement survive 1929, even ameliorate the situation for its members, or would the strain drive the members apart and consign this to the “Precedents to the EU” tab in the Alt EU Wiki Page? Assuming it holds while not exactly being much of a fix, there’s the issue of figuring...
  8. A

American anti-Communism if America had become Communist

If one doesn’t want to go with the Bloody Revolution+Civil War path that China and the USSR went with IRL and imagine a broken post-war dictatorial Amerika, perhaps one could use a democratic model of inclusion for the Communists within a greater democratic coalition from which they could grow...
  9. A

Greatest Britain II (United Kingdom of Britain and Hanover)

I can’t think of a Proper POD for this one, as the conditions for such a move aren’t there, unless one forces it with, say, extraordinary circumstances or a particularly powerful King who can force the issue. Yet the idea appeals to me. Adding a bunch of German MPs and Lords to Parliament...
  10. A

Alternate history in the Tolkienverse: What if Gandalf or Galadriel had claimed the One Ring?

Interesting stuff, well-researched too, though perhaps the question is less “What if X took the Ring” and more “What if the Ring was usable for people other than Sauron?” as I seem to recall the Ring was as cursed as that of the Nibelungs and possessed of a Will of its own, so an equally...
  11. A

Greatest Britain (Malta, The West Indies, etc…)

Assuming this was possible, one effect might be greater migration from such places to Britain Proper. Otherwise, could these odd Caribbean and Maltese MPs here and there come to form their own block and play kingmaker in the event of reduced majorities and hung parliaments, as the Nationalist...
  12. A

Kingdom of the Philippines

I assume a monarchy would have to come from an Abalos/Aranda type plan of the Spanish Monarchy somehow being smart enough to see the writing on the wall and appoint one, or in the 1820s, if one can somehow foster an Independence Movement then or have the Great Powers meddle like in Greece. Or...
  13. A

Napoleon's Britain

There’s always collaborators, but never as many as an occupier might want. Besides, if Ireland is similar to Poland —though with more unionists, presumably—, Scotland and the other regions might he like Hungary, and the prospective king might reject a crown, like Prince Esterhazy in 1809, —or in...
  14. A

Little Napoleonic PODs

A sequel to this thread. For PODs smaller than Napoleon Crushes his Enemies at Waterloo and Reigns Forever. -1795 If Napoleon had married Désirée Clary. This one has a lot of effects great and small if we use Not Meeting the Beauharnais as a POD. Napoleon, Ney and Bernadotte have different...
  15. A

Napoleon's Britain

On the other hand, I can’t imagine having Ney and the Hussars galloping down Hyde Park would do wonders for George III’s health.
Back