• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI: No Kerensky Offensive.

Fair point. That said, though, just what would it have taken to significantly improve the Russian domestic situation?

Uh, going back in time a century to pull their feudal heads out of their feudal asses? That's all I've got, sorry.

Though of course the Germans weren't doing that great at home either and the less said about Austria Hungary's home situation, the better, so Russia could conceivably limp along on the defensive until a peace of exhaustion.

Uh, going back in time a century to pull their feudal heads out of their feudal asses? That's all I've got, sorry.

Though of course the Germans weren't doing that great at home either and the less said about Austria Hungary's home situation, the better, so Russia could conceivably limp along on the defensive until a peace of exhaustion.
I was thinking of something like more railroad construction in the pre-WWI years and decades and/or having Gallipoli be successful.

I was thinking of something like more railroad construction in the pre-WWI years and decades and/or having Gallipoli be successful.

Hmm, but with what investment? Russian industry is anemic at best, it needs someone pumping up cash into the country if you want better infrastructure.

Which by the way might be the way to go? Find someone willing to develop the country and you could solve quite a few issues.

Hmm, but with what investment? Russian industry is anemic at best, it needs someone pumping up cash into the country if you want better infrastructure.

Which by the way might be the way to go? Find someone willing to develop the country and you could solve quite a few issues.
France? Britain? The US? Italy? Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Japan might be less likely due to them being historical and/or current Russian rivals, no?

France? Britain? The US? Italy? Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Japan might be less likely due to them being historical and/or current Russian rivals, no?

The problem is why? What are the expected returns and all that.

A stronger and/or more internally stable ally?

That's really not enough of a reason for the states of the era to pour capital into another state they might not be allied with forever when they could invest it in themselves.

I think you need greed instead. Maybe an American coalition of investors after Russia's resources?

That's really not enough of a reason for the states of the era to pour capital into another state they might not be allied with forever when they could invest it in themselves.

I think you need greed instead. Maybe an American coalition of investors after Russia's resources?
But the US already has plenty of natural resources of its own. What does Russia have that the US itself doesn't have?

France was already bankrolling Russian industrialisation which was going at breakneck speed as was.

It was the loss of some key territories but also the stress of maintaining its war economy that broke it. Conditions were bad for many terrible for some and nothing was run that well so as territory was lost, casualties mounted and the focus turned increasingly away from managing the home front things went to hell.

In my opinion for Imperial Russia to survive a thing like WW1, would involve things like Gallipoli being successful knocking out one of the pillars of the Central Powers or like a CP victory in 1916 or something.

Back