• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

PODs of the Thirty Years War XXXV

Lovely image selection as always Gary.

There's definitely mileage in a drama series about Gaston d'Orléans that's basically 'House of Cards but what if the main character was actually just really bad at plotting?'

I know that random acts of stupidity happen all the time, and twice as often in the stress of war.

And yet, consider the Duc de Soissons:

1. March against Paris, with only a ragtag, hastily assembled army in front of you.
2. Crush it utterly.
3. The path between you and the coronation of King Gaston is now clear.*
4. Adjust your visor, shoot yourself in face.
5. Er.

I entirely sympathise with those writers of historical fiction who apparently got to point 4. and wondered 'How the hell did Richelieu manage that?'
I've read... three?... novels with three different explanations for the event, because real life just seemed vaguely embarrassing.

*I mean, not really. But it sure looked like it for a moment!

I entirely sympathise with those writers of historical fiction who apparently got to point 4. and wondered 'How the hell did Richelieu manage that?'
I've read... three?... novels with three different explanations for the event, because real life just seemed vaguely embarrassing.

Not just the writers. It was a common belief at the time as well.

Not just the writers. It was a common belief at the time as well.

Helps the rep, and discourages would-be adventurers from trying their luck.

Rocroi also helped make Enghien's reputation and he was soon to be known as the "Grand Condé" and a big thorn in the royal sides under the Fronde where, after staying loyal at the outset, he swung with his brother Conti (not to be confused with Gondi, also a frondeur) to his sister's side, went into Spanish pay and remained the one at large for the longest.

You know given how tied the Thirty and Eighty Year's war were with Spain's Decline its interesting what historical memory would make of a world where Rocroi or the events preceding it was a Spanish triumph that was followed up with knocking France out of the loop for a while and keeping Spain the greatest military power in Europe.

The economic and political damage is done but without the neat military disaster to show the baton changing hands the narrative would be all over the place. Because by this point Spain the Empire could 'win' the wars without it meaning much but it would all be a bit more complicated.

Last edited:
Probably there'd be another battle sooner rather than later which serves as the 'oh the military's a bit crap now' event, but it's likely to be a much muddier transition.

Back