• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History at the 2020 Hugos

We can also add the fact that we know of no less than three different texts featuring people going on a voyage to the moon in the 1630s, and it basically never went out of fashion after that.

Where do you define this as opposed to 'Urban Fantasy' in the category of 'basically it's magic in the real world.'
AIUI (which basically means "something @Ciclavex said once") in Spanish the main difference with fantasia is whether it harks to the epic tradition. So I'd imagine it'd include some urban fantasy but not others.
But apparently stuff that is considered fantasia in Spanish is definitely sometimes counted as magical realism in English due to the snob appeal factor.

No it's definitely Utopian 'exploration-voyage' adventures in a foreign land stuff.

Even if we don't include the original Atlantis myths, we're talking double digits of notable authors by the 1700s- Thomas More's Utopia, Margaret, Duchess of Newcastle's The Blazing World, Gulliver's Travels, The Isle of Pines.

Lucian of Samosata is right there.

I will defend magical realism's position as a separate sub-genre/tradition. I'd define it as "fantasy without worldbuilding", personally.
I've been reading Andrew Cartmel's Vinyl Detective books, and there needs to be a word for a genre that's "magical realism but without the magic" - they read very similarly to Jasper Fforde or Ben Aaronovich (unsurprising considering Cartmel is mates with the latter) yet strictly there's nothing fantastic about them.

I've been reading Andrew Cartmel's Vinyl Detective books, and there needs to be a word for a genre that's "magical realism but without the magic" - they read very similarly to Jasper Fforde or Ben Aaronovich (unsurprising considering Cartmel is mates with the latter) yet strictly there's nothing fantastic about them.
Magic Realism

Back