• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Ciclavex's Graphics Thread

Ciclavex

Baron Ciclavex of Grittysborough in New Sweden
Patreon supporter
Pronouns
he/him
I don't really do a great deal in the way of graphics - it's not my gift, generally - but I do like making a flag or two, and occasionally other things. This is the place for it.

My first attachment is a "poster" that I'm in the midst of reworking from my first draft of Fashions Made Sacred, below appearing in its original form. It's a propaganda poster from the time of the coronation of the new English monarch, Amelia II, featuring the flags of the Boston Consensus - roughly, TTL's version of the Commonwealth of Nations - of which she is ex officio the Chairwoman, and, below, the specific subset of realms of which Amelia II is directly head of state.

There are several flags I've never been completely happy with, as well as the names of a few countries that I've changed since I put this out, as well as, well, wanting to do a better job with the poster itself, beyond just slapping on some Courier New on a neutral color.

I'm open to any suggestions people have for any of my own flags or my own modifications of OTL flags.

JE MAINTIENDRAI - Flags of the Boston Consensus.png

The second thing I’m going to upload here is an artistic rendering of FMS’ Amelia II’s family tree, including every monarch of the House of Orange in England. It still needs a bit more decoration, I think, and modification to follow TTL English language conventions (including long s @Thande ).

Here’s where it is at this stage, with all of the actual family tree information present and complete (unless there’s an error I haven’t spotted, transposed dates or something).

Family Tree All Stages Complete, Needs Decoration.png

Esther Lindsey.png

I've gone back to making uniforms, apparently. This is the final draft of a uniform for Fashions Made Sacred, as it would look if hanging off a mannequin -- I am not so bold as to believe I could make a decent human figure otherwise.

This particular uniform is a standard duty uniform of the Royal Defence Forces of the Kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland, usually called the English Defence Force or EDF, dressed for parade duty -- that is, with all decoration earned by the soldier or officer in question. On combat duty, no decorations are worn; on standard duty, only the top three-ranking decorations are worn.

This particular uniform belongs to one of my protagonists, Esther Lindsey.

On her sleeves are her rank insignia - two unbroken silver stripes (represented on both the upper and lower arm; the same insignia being repeated rather than part of a continuous insignia) represents a Senior Sergeant in the Ground Force, which is broadly equivalent to the rank of Staff Sergeant in the British Army, the EDF Ground Force's OTL equivalent. On her collar is her assignment, which in this case is a symbol representing her service as a Carolean -- which, ITTL, has evolved in the 20th and 21st century to refer to shock troopers, though in the recent Global War their role began to evolve into an infantry/armor support role as dedicated armor units have taken on the role that caroleans and heavy cavalry once played ITTL military doctrine. These two aspects would be common to any person who served in the Caroleans as a senior sergeant.

The rest of the distinguishing marks on the uniform are unique to Lindsey. The decorations, in descending order, top to bottom, left to right, are as follows:

(Sash) Vaillante femme de l'ordre royal de sainte Geneviève des défenseurs de Paris (Valiant Woman of the Royal Order of Saint Genevieve of the Defenders of Paris); French honour

Gold Cross
Étoile de la valeur (Star of Valour); French honour
Achievement in Service Medal
Silver Crystal
Ivory Crystal (x2)
Bronze Crystal (x2)
Special Unit Citation
Unit Citation (x2)
Honourable Conduct Medal
Soldier's Medal
Soldier's Decoration

Credit to Tonushi on DeviantArt for the original mannequin and Kyuzoaoi, also on DeviantArt, for the feminine variant on Tonushi's original.

Amelia Ferguson.png

And another one, this is the uniform of one of my other main characters, Lady Amelia Ferguson of Ayrshire.

Her rank insignia are two blue stripes, representing a Field Marshal, which is the highest normal rank in the Ground Force. Because field marshals are at the very height of the hierarchy, her assignment is actually just to be a field marshal, and so her assignment insignia on the collar is the crossed batons of a Field Marshal.

Her decorations, in descending order, are as follows:

Knight Companion of the Order of Saint Andrew
Silver Cross
Ivory Cross
Distinguished Service Medal
King's Meritorious Service Award
Royal Ovation (x2)
Royal Unit Citation
Special Unit Citation (x2)
Mentioned in Despatches (x3)
Unit Citation
Laude (x4)

Credit to same as above.

Rank insignia, then? Sure, why not.

These aren't for FMS or any particular thing I'm doing, though I was thinking more sci-fi than alternate history when making them --

Hayano rank insignia.png

The idea behind these Officer Insignia is following:

The bottom three ranks are junior officers, relatively recently commissioned, and what they have is a representation of a ribbon, a very basic marking of their position in the service of their country; they earn a second and a third ribbon as they go up in the ranks.

The next three ranks are senior officers; they've got quite a few years in their service, to the point that they've received a proper insignia - a star, which is a basic symbol of "higher" authority. They then proceed to get more stars in the senior officer ranks.

The next category is one of its own - Captaincy, or perhaps Colonelcy in a land force, along those lines. This is a unique rank - they still are expected to be fundamentally in touch with all of the basics of those under their command and authority, but they are also expected to be able to see a bigger picture, and represent the sovereign authority of their nation if it comes down to that. The concept is that that would be the seal or coat of arms of the commissioning state -- so that one is particularly abstract because I liked the idea of a more abstract symbol for a sci-fi-style country, but essentially the idea is that a Captain would have insignia with the Great Seal of the United States, or the Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom, on them because they are the lowest rank that can be said to speak for their sovereign under such circumstances where no other authority is present.

Next are the two types of higher ranks. The first are the "junior" flag or general officers, who are expected to oversee lower officers directly, perhaps as part of a general engagement or fleet action, in three grades; second are the "senior" flag or general officers, who are expected, primarily, to be involved in the background, way behind the lines, making more grand strategic decisions and focusing on the wider theater of operations, being expected not only to pay attention to what's going on in the field, but also to the broader political considerations of their actions on that grand scale.

The ranking structure I came up with for these ranks in a sci-fi style as I conceived of these was, from the top down:

Grand Marshal
Star Marshal
Admiral
Vice-Admiral
Counter-Admiral
Captain
Colonel
Steadholder-Colonel
Major
Steadholder
Steadholder, second class
Ensign
Aspirant (no insignia; just officer uniform)

The mix of officer ranks in a sci-fi/space force representing a sort of merger of Air Force and Navy ranks of multiple different traditions, thus Marshals, Admirals and Majors all in a single hierarchy.

And steadholder instead of lieutenant because that's just fun.

Last edited:
The mix of officer ranks in a sci-fi/space force representing a sort of merger of Air Force and Navy ranks of multiple different traditions, thus Marshals, Admirals and Majors all in a single hierarchy.

And steadholder instead of lieutenant because that's just fun.
I like these! I think your logic behind them is sound and I like the idea of it being a merger of the Air Force and Navy. Also I like the steadholder bit as well. Good job!

I like these! I think your logic behind them is sound and I like the idea of it being a merger of the Air Force and Navy. Also I like the steadholder bit as well. Good job!
YOU MAY THEREFORE BE INTERESTED IN MY SIG HINT HINT

Great work @Ciclavex. Whilst writing "Well Met" and planning the sequel, I've noticed that it feels as though Air Force ranks becoming the norm for space should be almost the default - which I don't like, because Star Trek etc makes one too used to the Navy. So I've already established in my universe that the argument is entirely because the ESA decided to switch to Navy ranks at one point, and because they're so powerful they get their way even though literally everyone else uses Air Force ranks.

So I did this for FMS worldbuilding. In OTL parlance, we would call these "roundels" -- military aircraft insignia -- though that word hasn't come into use in TTL for obvious reasons. These are the ones from Europe:

FMS Europe Roundels.png

Like OTL, the driving reason behind the adoption of such insignia was to easily distinguish friend from foe, and so naturally, countries friendly to one another tended to adopt aircraft insignia that resembled one another, leading to two broad traditions -- crystalline insignia and cross insignia, as you can see.

The Osmanli Sultanate - or, as we'd call it, the Ottoman Empire, as it is one and the same - has gone an interesting direction, in that they were aligned with the cross-bearing powers; they've taken a traditional crescent-and-star motif (the modern crescent-and-star flag of the Republic of Turkey, in essence but not in form identical to the historic Ottoman Empire, only dates to the late 18th century after the PoD, but the crescent-and-star has been a symbol of Byzantium and, succeeding it, Constantinople since time immemorial) and made a four-pointed star that resembles, particularly in the chaos of early aerial combat, a cross, but not so much as to overly offend most of the the Osmanli religious establishment.

Roumania, a country broadly friendly to the cross-bearing powers but which directly borders a crystalline-bearing great power and has no intention of provoking them or joining any wars against them (and, indeed, was neutral in the late Global War), has adopted a symbol that in no way resembles either motif, which is actually fairly difficult to distinguish except that it is on a square rather than being either a diamond or cross.

Czechia, a power that is directly hostile to the crystalline-bearing powers, hasn't made theirs round for that reason; the cross is very much intended to invoke the cross-bearing powers, but it much less resembles the other powers because they have formalized what was originally an attempt to use the paint they already had to quickly blot out all their crystals into something vaguely resembling the powers that they had aligned with, but directly echoing the flag of revolt that flew over the barricades during the Sixth Defenestration of Prague that led the country to switch sides during the Global War.

Last edited:
I left a big empty space where Venice was supposed to be in my original upload. This has been corrected.

More flags! Get your flags here!

This is theoretically a sheet from a naval or coast guard officer's guidebook in a country, including flags that they are likely to see at some point either on the high seas or at major ports, to identify naval, coast guard and civilian vessels of various types and the authority they operate under. This is the page from that guidebook dedicated to England, Scotland and Ireland.

Booklet.png

More flags! Get your flags here!

This is theoretically a sheet from a naval or coast guard officer's guidebook in a country, including flags that they are likely to see at some point either on the high seas or at major ports, to identify naval, coast guard and civilian vessels of various types and the authority they operate under. This is the page from that guidebook dedicated to England, Scotland and Ireland.

View attachment 24447
Wait, is the Irish harp wearing a Phrygian cap?

Wait, is the Irish harp wearing a Phrygian cap?

Good catch. As in the OTL 18th century, the Phrygian cap ITTL represented liberty in a general sense; freedom from unjust or tyrannical rule -- while, historically, in classical times, it did have republican implications, in the OTL 18th century those only became realized when the United States and France both explicitly invoked them, which is when the caps overnight completely vanished from all but the most radical British and Irish interpretations of Liberty in iconography, even before Liberty herself slowly vanished from the U.K.'s political iconography as she became increasingly associated with the United States and France in the British political imagination.

In FMS, with no French Revolution and no American Revolution at that stage of history, the Phrygian cap was adopted as a symbol of the Hibernian Brotherhood in the mid-18th century in protest of the Babel Regency's policies, though in reality the Hibernian Brotherhood itself was in some ways a political expression of the Duke of Leinster's (the Jacobite pretender, who converted to Anglicanism and "defected" to the House of Orange during an invasion of Ireland because he was essentially offered power in Ireland and the possibility of marrying his cousin the Princess of Wales in exchange for coming onto Mary III's side in the civil war against the House of Hesse -- and the French essentially forced him to take the deal because they'd decided that they'd rather break up the Netherlands from England than worry about which dynasty happened to be ruling England. He did not, in fact, get to marry his cousin the Princess of Wales) wish for expanded autonomy throughout the reign of Mary V and through Amelia I's minority. The cap was added to the harp in the Coat of Arms and the flag by Amelia I after Leinster supported her autocoup against the Babel Regency and she granted him, well, greater autonomy in his rule of Ireland, as well as realizing the constitutional revolution of allowing Irish and Scottish representatives in both the House of Commons and House of Lords, the combination of which has been seen by history as when Ireland was granted liberty from England and made a full partner in the relationship between the three kingdoms.

Since that time, due to the New Spanish Revolution, the Phrygian cap has actually had the republican sentiment restored in significant parts of the world, and so there is occasional controversy over a "republican" symbol appearing on the flag of a loyal realm, but historians always bring up the context whenever that happens and the controversy dies down again. Republicans in the British isles itself tend not to use the Phrygian cap as a symbol for precisely this reason.

Good catch. As in the OTL 18th century, the Phrygian cap ITTL represented liberty in a general sense; freedom from unjust or tyrannical rule -- while, historically, in classical times, it did have republican implications, in the OTL 18th century those only became realized when the United States and France both explicitly invoked them, which is when the caps overnight completely vanished from all but the most radical British and Irish interpretations of Liberty in iconography, even before Liberty herself slowly vanished from the U.K.'s political iconography as she became increasingly associated with the United States and France in the British political imagination.

In FMS, with no French Revolution and no American Revolution at that stage of history, the Phrygian cap was adopted as a symbol of the Hibernian Brotherhood in the mid-18th century in protest of the Babel Regency's policies, though in reality the Hibernian Brotherhood itself was in some ways a political expression of the Duke of Leinster's (the Jacobite pretender, who converted to Anglicanism and "defected" to the House of Orange during an invasion of Ireland because he was essentially offered power in Ireland and the possibility of marrying his cousin the Princess of Wales in exchange for coming onto Mary III's side in the civil war against the House of Hesse -- and the French essentially forced him to take the deal because they'd decided that they'd rather break up the Netherlands from England than worry about which dynasty happened to be ruling England. He did not, in fact, get to marry his cousin the Princess of Wales) wish for expanded autonomy throughout the reign of Mary V and through Amelia I's minority. The cap was added to the harp in the Coat of Arms and the flag by Amelia I after Leinster supported her autocoup against the Babel Regency and she granted him, well, greater autonomy in his rule of Ireland, as well as realizing the constitutional revolution of allowing Irish and Scottish representatives in both the House of Commons and House of Lords, the combination of which has been seen by history as when Ireland was granted liberty from England and made a full partner in the relationship between the three kingdoms.

Since that time, due to the New Spanish Revolution, the Phrygian cap has actually had the republican sentiment restored in significant parts of the world, and so there is occasional controversy over a "republican" symbol appearing on the flag of a loyal realm, but historians always bring up the context whenever that happens and the controversy dies down again. Republicans in the British isles itself tend not to use the Phrygian cap as a symbol for precisely this reason.
Good stuff, that hits the spot of 'apparently nonsensical historical realism' that I always argue AH flags need.

Due to a thing in the pub thread earlier today, I went searching for old royal cyphers that I did. I haven't found all of them, but I did find a set, quoted below, from the 18th century monarchs of England (excluding, obviously, OTL monarchs William III and Mary II).

I have touched them up and, though I'm not sure it's how I'd do the same thing now, I kept my modifications to touch-ups rather than reworks or remakes.

18th C English monarchs.png

New touch-ups, reworks and completely new designs, some of which have already been previewed either to the Zoom call and/or my test thread, for flags from Fashions Made Sacred. Explanations spoilered below

North America Flags.png

Grand Duchy of Aleska - Aleska's blue color and the use of fleurs-de-lis comes from the country's origin as a French settler and trading colony; the Grand Ducal House of Aleska is also a patrilinear Capetian cadet branch. The star in the upper right is Polaris, the North Star, while the fleurs-de-lis are arranged to form the shape of Ursa Minor attached to Polaris.

Republic of Ayiti - In modern times, the flag is said to be a reference to the sea, the dry land and the dark night in which the War of Liberation was planned and fought; however, the flag has its origin in the plain black flags which were raised in the Ayitian Revolution, and then flown as jacks (with the legend in large letters -- LIBÉRATION -- in white) with a variety of other symbols and color bars as Ayiti began its long, and ultimately successful (with foreign support), naval war of attrition against France. Gold and blue bars (though flown at the top of the ensign) were the particular ensign used by Jean-Baptiste de Libertad, one of Ayiti's most successful naval commanders, who even dared to attack French shipping in sight of Brittany -- and got away with it. He was eventually elected king, and later generations adopted his particular color scheme when they decided to be rid of the purely black banner, which had the problem of being mistaken for a flag of piracy.

Grand Duchy of Canada - Canada uses a flag quite similar in form to the very old Capetian symbol of their forebears in France, but the fleurs-de-lis have been replaced with maple leaves, a prevailing symbol of Canada whose first adoption technically postdates the point of departure OTL, but by a matter of only a few decades.

Republic of Cansas - Cansas' flag represents the two great, important rivers in Cansas, the Missouri and the Arcansas, with the two rivers surrounding fertile cornfields represented in gold.

Commonwealth of Carolina - The Carolinian flag originates in an early flag of revolt which was simply blue; four white stripes were added to more easily distinguish the Carolinian flag from the Blue ensign at sea during the War of Anglo-American Independence, and this was ultimately adopted as the national flag following independence. In the early twentieth century, a cross was added as a symbol of Christian faith and brotherhood in Carolina, though its addition was intended to emphasize Carolina's understanding of the "Natural Christian Order" and reject efforts toward property and equal civil rights for Black Carolinians. The cross remains as the Carolinian state still denies both.

Kingdom of Cuba - the flag of the Kingdom of Cuba is inherited from the battle-flag of the Spanish Empire, which is itself a modification of medieval Burgundian battle-flags. Cuba is considered the true and primary successor state of the Spanish Empire in the Americas, as it is ruled by the Habsburgs, while even Spain itself is not.

Kingdom of Florida - the Kingdom of Florida is ruled in personal union with and is a dependency to Cuba, and its flag reflects this; it is modeled on Anglo flags derived from the Red, Blue and White ensigns of the historical English Empire, but using the colors and symbolism of the Spanish Empire.

Grand Duchy of Grand Aquitaine - Grand Aquitaine is, of course, named for Aquitaine in France; its flag is modeled on the Coat of Arms of the City of Bordeaux in France, with a few elements changed, modified and mirrored.

Republic of Louisiana - The colors of the Louisianan flag represent the Three Races in Unity -- (American) Indian, White and Black, of which it is said that Louisiana's culture, tradition and people are an essential and indivisible union. The letters "SPQL" which appear on the flag are modeled, of course, on SPQR, a traditional sigil of the Roman Republic, on which Louisiana has historically modeled itself. Diplomatic legations to Louisiana continue to be posted as emissaries to "the Senate and People of Louisiana" despite the abolition of the Senate in constitutional reforms more than half a century ago (an identical situation to neighboring New Spain), and "the Senate and People of Louisiana" is still considered a legal alternative official name for the Republic.

State of Maryland - It's essentially identical in origin to the OTL flag of Maryland, except that IOTL, the Calverts retained possession of Maryland until independence; ITTL, the main line of the Earls of Baltimore died out and Maryland passed into the hands of the Earls of Marlborough before independence -- in whose hands it remains to this day, though the style "Earl of Marlborough" is now used as a courtesy title for the heir-apparent, as Princess (or, when there is a male monarch, Prince) of Maryland supersedes it.

Grand Duchy of Michigane - the symbol on the flag is said to be the sun rising over Lac des Hurons to shine over Michigane, while in the lake are three golden fleurs-de-lis to represent the House of Michigane, which is a patrilinear Capetian cadet branch.

Kingdom of New England - New England's flag is based on the White Ensign of England, which has been defaced with two pine trees - which represent the Dutch and the English settlers of New England (as New York has been incorporated into the Kingdom of New England) - and blue star in the upper right represents New England's very old whaling tradition, with Polaris shining at night to guide the men of New England back home. New England retains St. George's Cross both because it is New England, making the use of England's flag fitting in itself, but also as New England remains in personal union with England.

Kingdom of the Haudenosaunee - Purple is a color which has longstanding historic and traditional value to the Iroquois, both ITTL and IOTL; the flag of Haudenosaunee has a five-pointed star, which represents the five core Nations of the Haudenosaunee. The symbol we think of as fundamentally Iroquois IOTL, the flag based on the Wampum Belt, exists in TTL symbolism of the Kingdom - as it very long predates the Point of Departure - but it is represented in their coat of arms rather than in the flag.

State of New Jersey - New Jersey's flag is based on the Blue Ensign of England, but St. George's Cross has been replaced with a red St. Andrew's cross, the symbol of the Bailiwick of Jersey for which the state is named. The "Ensign" is defaced with a horse rampant, representing both New Jersey's reputation before its independence of breeding the best horses in the Colonies, and for the decisive role that New Jersey's first prince played leading New Jersey's cavalry formations in the War of Anglo-American Independence, particularly at the final, decisive Battle of Delaware Falls.

United Republic of New Spain - The flag of New Spain is modeled chiefly on ancient Roman imperial standards, though the eagle which would have been mounted atop the poles bearing the earliest version of the flag has since migrated onto the flag itself. Gold and Red are both longstanding colors in Aztec and Spanish symbolism and so were naturally inherited by New Spain, particularly as the colors also invoke the Virgen de Guadalupe, an important part of New Spanish religious tradition from long before the point of departure. The eagle is mounted in Roman style, but it is a native eagle, devouring a snake while sitting on a cactus, a pre-Spanish symbol of the royal city of Tenochtitlan and its successor, Mexico City, both ITTL and IOTL -- which, both ITTL and IOTL, became a national symbol of an independent state with its capital there. The blue bars on either side especially invoke the protection of the Virgin, the blue being a more traditional European color of the Virgin and twelve golden stars representing the Crown of Stars in the Book of Revelation. ITTL, this combination reflects that early New Spanish armies, both during the War of Independence and afterward, would fly both a gold and red banner with various symbols or words on it, mounted by a silver or golden Mexican eagle devouring a snake while sitting on a cactus, while a separate banner of the Virgin would be carried alongside it.

Commonwealth of the Ohio - A Blue English ensign, but this one has what OTL calls the Union Flag. ITTL, the Union Flag has gone in and out of fashion as a symbol of Great Britain, and at the time of Ohio's adoption of this flag, it was out of favor back in Europe but well-known enough in America that it could be considered a neutral symbol of Anglo-Scottish heritage without invoking the English or Scottish Crown, part of what drove the combined Union Flag into complete disuse in the 20th century. It is defaced with a compass, which pays tribute to the explorers and early settlers of the Ohio Valley.

Commonwealth of Oregon - An English Red Ensign but, mimicking Ohio (whose independence long predates Oregon's), it uses the Union Flag as a symbol of Anglo-Scottish heritage. The symbol defacing it, on the bottom of the flag, represents a fasces, symbolizing republican authority as well as national unity -- initially, it was intended as a slight against the State of South Oregon which gained independence separately, and which many Oregonians saw as within Oregon's natural borders, though today Oregonians and South Oregonians alike downplay this element.

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania's flag reflects its origin as a colony founded for the sole purpose of tolerating dissenting religious traditions. It invokes common human heritage and peace by using the symbol of a golden dove on a white banner, bearing an olive branch, which is a depiction of the dove which indicated to Noah that the Flood was beginning to recede; it invokes both the color white, the dove and the olive branch as symbols of peace, as well as calling attention to humanity's common ancestor to promote similarity over difference.

Grand Duchy of Sioux - Despite its name, Sioux is very much a country with tension between its native, white, métis and Black populations; the cross flag is a defiant statement of the Christian faith of the Siouxan state in contrast to the traditional spiritual practices of the Lakota native people. It similarity to the Nordic flags ITTL is debated, and it is almost certain that the Grand Duke who adopted it knew it was similar to the Nordic flags, but it has no specific Nordic connotation; the colors are simply reversed from France's war flag.

State of South Oregon - The blue color of South Oregon's flag invokes the English blue ensign, and, historically, it bore the English flag in the canton, but it was removed when the current version of the flag was adopted. The four diamonds represent South Oregon's "Four Diamonds", the four chief resources that sustain South Oregon -- silver, wood, gold and copper.

Kingdom of Virginia - Green was the color of the uniforms used by Virginian soldiers, first in the War of Anglo-American independence and then afterward, and became seen as the royal color after the establishment of the kingdom, in like way to orange in England. The pyramid invokes ancient Egypt, seen as a source of ancient power and legitimacy by classically educated Virginians in its early days, but also the pyramids of New Spain, which was a major part of Virginia's acquisition of independence -- though modern Virginians downplay this and emphasize the Egyptian aspect. The pyramid also represents the social structure of Virginia, with many layers, a large lower class leading up to a narrower top. The top of the pyramid is cut off and colored golden, showing that G-d is apart from and above whatever social structures exist for man, and is not subject to any earthly royal authority. The All-Seeing Eye inside a triangle, representing the Trinity, further emphasizes the detached portion's association with G-d. Many modern Virginians object to this symbol because it was founded on and based upon the racial caste system and, of course, slavery. which were still institutions in Virginia at independence. The flag has the words "Deo favente", a Latin motto meaning "With G-d's Favor", which was used as a motto in the American colonies before the Point of Departure and is the origin of the U.S. lesser motto "Annuit coeptis" ("He Has Approved What We Have Begun") IOTL, which was chosen IOTL instead of Deo favente because it had thirteen letters.

So this is a totally non-FMS thing which is quite implausible.

Many years ago, I made an alternate/parallel-history RPG setting, wherein I changed things about history to throw off my historically literate players in order to break them of their assumptions. The point was always to keep things similar enough that we could call it a modern urban fantasy setting, but change it enough that the players couldn't rely on their out-of-universe knowledge for details -- but trying to keep to legitimate (if long-shot) historical proposals rather than make anything up whole cloth. I rediscovered these setting documents recently and decided to clean up the map I did and put it out there.

So, here you are. The United States in 2015:

Vampires US.png

Based on the OTL county lines, so not quite my vision, but it'll do.

• Commonwealth of Alaska (New Archangel)
  • State of Arizona (Phoenix)
  • Commonwealth of Arkansas (Little Rock)
  • Commonwealth of California (Sacramento)
  • State of Colorado (Denver)
  • State of Connecticut (Hartford)
  • State of Dakota (Pierre)
  • State of Deseret (Salt Lake City)
  • State of East Florida (Tallahassee)
  • State of East Jersey (Perth Amboy)
  • State of Franklin (Nashville)
  • Commonwealth of Georgia (Atlanta)
  • Republic of Hawai'i (Honolulu)
  • Commonwealth of Illinois (Springfield)
  • State of Indiana (Indianapolis)
  • Republic of Iowa (Des Moines)
  • State of Jefferson (Boise)
  • State of Kansas (Topeka)
  • State of Kentucky (Frankfort)
  • State of Louisiana (Baton Rouge)
  • State of Maryland (Annapolis)
  • State of Massachusetts (Boston)
  • Commonwealth of Michigan (Lansing)
  • Commonwealth of Minnesota (St. Paul)
  • State of Mississippi (Birmingham)
  • State of Missouri (Jefferson City)
  • State of Montana (Helena)
  • State of Nebraska (Lincoln)
  • State of New Connecticut (Cleveland)
  • Commonwealth of New Hampshire (Concord)
  • State of New Mexico (Albuquerque)
  • State of New York (Albany)
  • State of North Carolina (Raleigh)
  • State of Ohio (Columbus)
  • Republic of Oklahoma (Guthrie)
  • State of Oregon (Chemeketa)
  • State of Pennsylvania (Harrisburg)
  • Commonwealth of Plymouth (Plymouth)
  • Commonwealth of Sequoyah (Muskogee)
  • Commonwealth of South Carolina (Columbia)
  • Commonwealth of Superior (Marquette)
  • State of Texas (Austin)
  • State of Thessaly (Olympia)
  • Commonwealth of Vandalia (Charleston)
  • State of Vermont (Montpelier)
  • Commonwealth of Virginia (Richmond)
  • Commonwealth of West Florida (Mobile)
  • Republic of West Jersey (Trenton)
  • State of Wisconsin (Madison)
  • Republic of Wyoming (Cheyenne)

Back