• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Crisis? What Crisis? - An immersive alternate 1979

Thank you, Charlton - likewise. You were cracking.

Thanks Tom I appreciate that :) .

Although the price of a gin and tonic at the end did make me question how much we had got inflation under control :p .

Last edited:
Thanks Tom I appreciate that :) .

Although the price of a gin and tonic at the end did make me question how much we had got inflation under control :p .
That's London for you!

Having finally given up on finding a mate with an interest in 70s politics, I discover I've left it too late and it's completely sold out.

Congratulations! If it's half as exciting as For King and Country your audience must be having a blast.

Whats been the craziest attempt at a Solution so far @Meadow ?
They went full Give The Unions What They Want, resulting in projected inflation hitting 44%. This proved near insurmountable and caused chaos on the streets.

Then, thanks to the two advisers they had chosen to assist them (they have 6 to choose from, with different approaches/strengths), the only two ways to seriously tackle inflation were to scrap the pound outright (resetting inflation to 0%) and peg the new temporary Anglodollar to the USD, or join COMECON.

Yes, COMECON.

Our smooth-talking man from the FCO argued for the American option, our frazzled academic from the LSE made her best case for joining COMECON. The audience were split and it was agreed a whole-room vote was necessary. By show of hands, they chose COMECON. Personally I think the FCO man did himself in when he suggested his plan could be used to agree whatever payrises the unions wanted, and then scrapping the currency outright thus voiding the deals. It seemed too much like foul play to the audience.

This then triggered a coup from the armed forces and the Yanks (complete with a Royal Marine appearing on the telly to order everyone to remain in their homes), who understandably weren't wild about Britain literally joining COMECON yes we joined COMECON actual COMECON.

The very trade unions we'd been working to stop striking were then approached and asked to engage in civil disobedience, basically go back on strike, as we attempted to create an emergency broadcast of our own and win any kind of legitimacy we could for the democratic government. The show ended with the outcome uncertain, a good speech having been given but some elements of the coup refusing to stand down.

I should stress that the Soviet-triggered coup ending is built into the show but rarely happens, and both policies exist as extreme options in the show – but them all coming together in this way, including the whole room having a debate and vote on it, was unprecedented and amazing.

They went full Give The Unions What They Want, resulting in projected inflation hitting 44%. This proved near insurmountable and caused chaos on the streets.

Then, thanks to the two advisers they had chosen to assist them (they have 6 to choose from, with different approaches/strengths), the only two ways to seriously tackle inflation were to scrap the pound outright (resetting inflation to 0%) and peg the new temporary Anglodollar to the USD, or join COMECON.

Yes, COMECON.

Our smooth-talking man from the FCO argued for the American option, our frazzled academic from the LSE made her best case for joining COMECON. The audience were split and it was agreed a whole-room vote was necessary. By show of hands, they chose COMECON. Personally I think the FCO man did himself in when he suggested his plan could be used to agree whatever payrises the unions wanted, and then scrapping the currency outright thus voiding the deals. It seemed too much like foul play to the audience.

This then triggered a coup from the armed forces and the Yanks (complete with a Royal Marine appearing on the telly to order everyone to remain in their homes), who understandably weren't wild about Britain literally joining COMECON yes we joined COMECON actual COMECON.

The very trade unions we'd been working to stop striking were then approached and asked to engage in civil disobedience, basically go back on strike, as we attempted to create an emergency broadcast of our own and win any kind of legitimacy we could for the democratic government. The show ended with the outcome uncertain, a good speech having been given but some elements of the coup refusing to stand down.

I should stress that the Soviet-triggered coup ending is built into the show but rarely happens, and both policies exist as extreme options in the show – but them all coming together in this way, including the whole room having a debate and vote on it, was unprecedented and amazing.
Thats... thats utterly incredible. Insane and incredible.

in comparison our resolution was sensible and pragmatic social democracy. Ironically the LSE Academic proved very helpful, although we kept her far, far away from foreign affairs.

It’s going to be very fun to see what’s behind all of these spoilers after I see the show on Sunday!

Out of curiosity @Meadow, as far as you know, have the audiences so far been all Brits, or have a few international participants managed to slip through?

It’s going to be very fun to see what’s behind all of these spoilers after I see the show on Sunday!

Out of curiosity @Meadow, as far as you know, have the audiences so far been all Brits, or have a few international participants managed to slip through?
There have definitely been foreign participants in earlier Parabolic shows - mine and @Alex Richards ' participation in "For King and Country" involved an interesting tangent where a Russian audience member argued with Meadow's character about Comrade Stalin's intentions.

There have definitely been foreign participants in earlier Parabolic shows - mine and @Alex Richards ' participation in "For King and Country" involved an interesting tangent where a Russian audience member argued with Meadow's character about Comrade Stalin's intentions.

I'm still not entirely certain if she was serious, or just really getting into character.

BTW, based on what some of your cast members said,what you yourself @Meadow have said and the general debate about it, I will be participating in "For King and Country" next time it runs.

Meadow, have you considered writing an article when this is over about the experience and how different people handled it? I think it might be very interesting.
Definitely, I’ll do one. The show looks like it’ll be back next autumn so there’s a future reason to have some content floating around to generate interest, too.

Back