• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Consequences in AH: How the Scottish Liberal Democrats caused Brexit

That's a different chain of consequences (I'll be honest, I've forgotten how that one actually worked).

The selection contest after the resignation of Joyce was controversial enough that Miliband changed the election rules and the argument goes that without that change Corbyn wouldn't have won.

Nothing to do with Brexit, just a labour internal thing.

I enjoyed this anyway. Something you'vee discussed a few times before and it's nice to see it written up properly.

The selection contest after the resignation of Joyce was controversial enough that Miliband changed the election rules and the argument goes that without that change Corbyn wouldn't have won.

Nothing to do with Brexit, just a labour internal thing.

I enjoyed this anyway. Something you'vee discussed a few times before and it's nice to see it written up properly.
Yeah, that was the bit I don't get, unless one assumes Corbyn was a prerequisite for Brexit (which I don't).

Yeah, that was the bit I don't get, unless one assumes Corbyn was a prerequisite for Brexit (which I don't).
Besides the argument that Corbyn campaigned for Remain far less and far more visibly half-heartedly than any alternative Labour leader, in my experience it's usually not Brexit as such but "this mess" (gesture of general sweep to indicate all aspects of politics disliked since 2015).
Or occasionally a point about said contest specifically giving greater exposure to a lot of said longstanding problems within Scottish Labour.

Thande said:
Now fast forward to the next Scottish election, in May 2007. The shine had definitely come off the Blair Government at Westminster, and Tony Blair would resign only two months later.
Has anyone looked at the consequences of Blair resigning several months earlier? Considering how close things were I do have to wonder if having Blair gone, a Scottish Prime Minister – likely still in their honeymoon period, and a Scottish Chancellor of the Exchequer, might be enough to seriously affect things.

Back