• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

PODs of the Thirty Years War XII

As an aside, the other treaty of Suza in 1629 could have profound effects on the Americas if it's delayed by a few months. By the terms of the deal, both sides kept territory that had been taken up to the point of signing the treaty, but returned anything captured afterwards- which in this case meant that Champlain's surrender of New France to the English was undone afterwards.

Gabriel Bethlen was forty-nine when he died. That's not a bad innings for the time, but I do wonder- if he'd licked his wounds for another few years only to see the Emperor reel under the Swedish assault, could that have finally been an opportune enough moment for Transylvania to make a serious bid for Hungary?

The Ottomans would have been too distracted by the Safavids for the full sixty thousand strong intervention, but they might have been tempted to send some kind of force- especially since the Hapsburgs would be fighting on multiple fronts themselves.

Gabriel Bethlen was forty-nine when he died. That's not a bad innings for the time, but I do wonder- if he'd licked his wounds for another few years only to see the Emperor reel under the Swedish assault, could that have finally been an opportune enough moment for Transylvania to make a serious bid for Hungary?

The Ottomans would have been too distracted by the Safavids for the full sixty thousand strong intervention, but they might have been tempted to send some kind of force- especially since the Hapsburgs would be fighting on multiple fronts themselves.

Bethlen's best bid for Hungary is actually an earlier PoD- he sticks to the 1620 Peace agreement, secures his half of Hungary and takes a few years to bed in before claiming the rest at a later junction.

For me one of the interesting things highlighted here is the potential effect on Spain. If the war is finished earlier or they otherwise commit less they could presumably hang on to Portugal, at least for a while longer, and in general be a much stronger force for much longer.

For me one of the interesting things highlighted here is the potential effect on Spain. If the war is finished earlier or they otherwise commit less they could presumably hang on to Portugal, at least for a while longer, and in general be a much stronger force for much longer.

Spain would still have the issues of the Eighty Years War to deal with of course. I suspect that if the Thirty Years War is a brief affair ending in Bohemia then that could end up being a Hundred Years War and bankrupt Spain slightly later.

Back