• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

At least you made an attempt at Greek, and I think you did fine. (Of course, a native speaker would probably be a better judge than I would, seeing as most of my knowledge is indirect and miniscule through song lyrics, which is probably equivalent to learning English via listening to Elvis, the Beatles, country music et. al.)

Nice work as always @Ares96 .

Having not paid much attention to Greek politics for a few years, probably the biggest surprise to me is how it seems to have settled down into a more or less two-party dominant system now.
Whereas I’m just constantly surprised by how multipolar the 2012 elections were, obscured by the majority bonus always going to ND because they beat Syriza by one percentage point.

Now there’s a PoD…

A little suggestion, although I don't know how practical it might be. Could you put in some dashed lines to delineate the island constituencies? There's some where even with the shading I'm not sure what they've been put with; the worst is probably Kithira (the island just off the Pelopenese).

A little suggestion, although I don't know how practical it might be. Could you put in some dashed lines to delineate the island constituencies? There's some where even with the shading I'm not sure what they've been put with; the worst is probably Kithira (the island just off the Pelopenese).

Kythira unfortunately is difficult to show under any circumstances due to the utterly absurd situation of it being part of Attica, for reasons which I can only assume are to do with Athens feeling a need to keep the Spartans in check.

EDIT: It's worse than I thought. Apart from Salamis they're all part of Pireus A- most of the population of which is in that blue bit surrounded by the Athens inset.

1562656397850.png

Last edited:
Kythira unfortunately is difficult to show under any circumstances due to the utterly absurd situation of it being part of Attica, for reasons which I can only assume are to do with Athens feeling a need to keep the Spartans in check.

EDIT: It's worse than I thought. Apart from Salamis they're all part of Pireus A- most of the population of which is in that blue bit surrounded by the Athens inset.

Oh wow. And I thought Sutherland and Caithness were bad.

View attachment 11902
This is also why the observant eye will note that Piraeus isn’t in the inset.

This is also why the observant eye will note that Piraeus isn’t in the inset.

The oddest thing is that it looks like this is just 'something that's always been the case'.

I can understand it with that odd bit of the Peloponnese which is probably closer to Athens by boat than anywhere else, but Kythera is... yeah.

Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross is at least a contiguous landmass.

I might be getting confused but I thought Lewis was in one of them and Harris in the other?

Another potential idea might be to use coloured borders to delineate non contiguous constituencies but that could get confusing especially where there are a lot of parties involved.

View attachment 11902

This is quite clearly an attempt at reminding the Spartans that if they ever try something funny, the spectre of Sphacteria hangs over their heads like the sword over Damocles’s.

Greece, June 2012
June 2012 makes an interesting compare-and-contrast - of course, while the left/right situation was about the same, the actual gap between ND and SYRIZA was less than three percentage points, so the map ends up a bit redder. Chiefly in Attica, but also noticeably in Macedonia - probably don't need to spell out why they soured on Tsipras between 2012 and 2019.

val-gr-2012-ii.png

As a sidenote, I think the Greek electoral system actually works reasonably well for the party system they had in the 90s/00s - two major parties hovering around 30-40% each, two or three smaller parties at 5% or just above, and a stable but low voteshare for the minnows. The small constituencies can accommodate the two big parties, the bigger ones can provide seats for the smaller ones as well, and the majority bonus ensures that whichever of the two parties came in ahead can form a government without trouble (which is what sank the pure PR system used in the 80s). The problem, of course, being that as soon as this dynamic was disrupted, it threw the entire system out of whack.

Very much a microcosm of what happened to Greece as a whole, I feel.

France 1956
So this is the final legislative election of the Fourth Republic, and the legislature that sat when it all went down in Algiers in May 1958 and de Gaulle executed his coup d'état was called upon to assume the reins of power in a legal and orderly fashion. The narrative really breaks down in light of the RPF having entered the scene with a bang and become the largest party in 1951, then collapsed in 1956, only for de Gaulle to come back and seize power in 1958. If these two elections had come in the opposite order, it would've made so much more sense.

Note also the breakdown of the apparentement system with the Third Force no longer being a thing - nearly all of the successful apparentements in this election were centre-right, with only two (Ariège and Corsica) being centre-left. Also, Algeria took the logical next step from blatantly rigging its elections and just didn't hold any at all.

France 1956
val-fr-1956.png

The only Fourth Republic election left now, between @Nanwe and myself, is July 1946. I don't think I'm going to do that one straight away though, because I have a half-finished 1958 map lying around that I now have the data needed to finish. Suffice it to say the contrast with this one is stark.

Ah the last hurrah for the PCF. Also, we get to see the first abolished constituency through decolonization - Indes française; returned to India in 1954. btw, everything is normal in Algeria. Have I ever talked about how French Algeria really is?

Back