• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alex's Comissions and Maps Thread

One of the more... dramatic results of the night came from Ashfield. Note that the Ashfield independents are essentially a Lib Dem splinter that's now pretty much entirely absorbed the local party.

The Selston Area Independents appear to be the only ones able to make a decent stand against the Ashfield Independents outside Hucknall.

Ashfield Over Time Shaded.png

One of the more... dramatic results of the night came from Ashfield. Note that the Ashfield independents are essentially a Lib Dem splinter that's now pretty much entirely absorbed the local party.

The Selston Area Independents appear to be the only ones able to make a decent stand against the Ashfield Independents outside Hucknall.

View attachment 11291
I assume the bottom one should say 2019? Regardless, blimey.

Yes. And yes.

There's 70% majorities for the Ashfield Inds there.

And lo did it come to pass that some servitors of the Machine that is Big and Yellow did escape. And they absconded with stolen pieces of that vast, Pantone 1235C, mechanism, strange machines which strummed and chittered and promised an eternal majority. And the servitors made landing in the Field of Ash, and began to dominate those servitors of the Big Yellow Machine in those lands, and used their pieces of machinery to hold all the Field of Ash in thrall.
--The True History of the Machine, A̖̮̞̲͕̖͕͕͒̉̌̀ͤ́̀l̴̸̮̳͕̞̟ͧ͌ͬ̓̀ę̭̖̀̇̂̊̄̋x̮̜̆ͨ̿̓̓͑͠ ̧͙̻̤͓͆̇R̗͍̠͔͐͋͛͋͒̽́͞͝i͕̩̙̿ͭc̄͐ͮͯͩ͡͏̙̼̰̼͈̰͜ḩ̜̻̫̬ͥ̇̔͊ͮ͊ă͕̼͓̬̬̿͆̐ͨ͌̈́̚͢͞͡r̙̪̞̩̟͔͍͕̍ͮ̈̏̍̕ͅḑ̖̫̠͕̞̣ͭ͂ͧ͛̒͠͝s̷̰̞̝̯ͫ̽͆͆ͬͪ

And here's Broxtowe - @jwj1988, which had a delayed poll in Stapleford South East yesterday so couldn't be done till today anyway.

Notable feautres are the long-term UPLB Lib Dem in Trowell either stepping down or dieing making that a super-Tory ward, but this being balanced out by the Lib Dems seeing a strong bounce-back in Bramcote and Stapleford South East. Labour pick up seats in Eastwood and Chilwell and, in a move that by itself demonstrates more political nuance than anything Change-UK managed, the Ashfield Independents standing in most of the wards which are part of Ashfield constituency.

They won in Brinsley partly because that ward has a bit of a history of being independently minded but mostly because JASON Z ABSOLUTLEY TERRIFIES ME WITH HIS ELECTABILITY.

Broxtowe Over Time Shaded.png

And here's Broxtowe - @jwj1988, which had a delayed poll in Stapleford South East yesterday so couldn't be done till today anyway.

Notable feautres are the long-term UPLB Lib Dem in Trowell either stepping down or dieing making that a super-Tory ward, but this being balanced out by the Lib Dems seeing a strong bounce-back in Bramcote and Stapleford South East. Labour pick up seats in Eastwood and Chilwell and, in a move that by itself demonstrates more political nuance than anything Change-UK managed, the Ashfield Independents standing in most of the wards which are part of Ashfield constituency.

They won in Brinsley partly because that ward has a bit of a history of being independently minded but mostly because JASON Z ABSOLUTLEY TERRIFIES ME WITH HIS ELECTABILITY.

View attachment 11398
Thanks for this. As it happens I'm a Labour activist -especially helping out in Beeston Central - and was at the count last month. Broxtowe's a funny local authority in many ways. Changes aren't as dramatic as Ashfield or Mansfield but like you say the Brinsley victory is scary. Though Mansfield has a Labour Mayor (albeit with a majority of just 2!) the trend to Localist parties in Western Nottinghamshire isn't replicated here.

Thanks for this. As it happens I'm a Labour activist -especially helping out in Beeston Central - and was at the count last month. Broxtowe's a funny local authority in many ways. Changes aren't as dramatic as Ashfield or Mansfield but like you say the Brinsley victory is scary. Though Mansfield has a Labour Mayor (albeit with a majority of just 2!) the trend to Localist parties in Western Nottinghamshire isn't replicated here.

I suspect Nottingham's the one that's more at risk of seeing the local indos suddenly go big in a couple of cycles.

Gedling saw a near total collapse for the Conservatives in anything that could be considered an urban area, and Calverton reverting to type with some local Indos cropping up. The Lib Dems only gained the one seat but seem to have secured Pheonix after looking vulnerable to a wipeout.

Gedling Over Time Shaded.png

And here's Nottingham on new boundaries. Where Labour have something of an issue south of the river, but are basically dominant everywhere else.

This is a bit of a mirage mind you- there were reasonably close results for the Lib Dems in Castle and the Nottingham Independents in Bestwood, and turnout was appalling across the board- below 30% in most places.

I wouldn't be surprised at all too see an insurgent Indo group do well here next time. Or maybe Labour will just carry on.

Nottingham Over Time Shaded.png

And here's Mansfield. The long-running Mansfield Independent Forum have fallen back a bit- losing the mayoralty and control of the council, but it's not all good news for Labour as a rash of Indos caused them to lose three seats as well. UKIP have been completely eliminated, but the Conservatives are back on the council for the first time since 2007.

Mansfield Over Time Shaded.png

Here's Newark and Sherwood. The Conservatives ate deeply into the usual Labour heartlands here- which I think is quite unusual for a council the Tories already controlled this May. The Lib Dems have managed a bit of a fight back and are approximately back to their 2011 situation- they're a bit off taking the third seat in Southwell however so a full reversion to the pre-coalition days looks trickier.

Newark and Sherwood Over Time Shaded.png

North Kesteven: Where the the Lincolnshire Independents swept through most of the district but a combination of undernomination and a fair number of split voters mean the Conservatives remain the larger party on the second/third seats in many areas. Note also the deferred election which I think I've shown satisfactorarily.

North Kesteven Over Time Shaded.png

Back