• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Makemakean Does Various Graphical Things!

The 1971 boundary changes are a piece of cake. You can find good, detailed maps of each county as of 1952 here.

The 1952 boundary changes, on the other hand...

Oh for the love of God. Please don't tell me that any of the few county borders I have drawn up so far are wrong...!

Oh for the love of God. Please don't tell me that any of the few county borders I have drawn up so far are wrong...!
I can't spot any errors. The 1952 changes were small, but the fact that they were small means they're not really listed anywhere. Right now, I can think of four big ones, but there may have been more:

- Stenestad parish was merged into Kågeröd and moved from Kristianstad to Malmöhus
- Ramsåsa parish was merged into Tomelilla köping and moved from Malmöhus to Kristianstad
- Vänersnäs parish was merged into Västra Tunhem and moved from Skaraborg to Älvsborg
- Bjurtjärn parish was merged into Ullvättern and moved from Örebro to Värmland

I know there were also minor changes to the Kristianstad-Malmöhus boundary before then, mainly because of parishes divided between two hundreds. Also, Ytterhogdal was moved from Gävleborg to Jämtland in 1864, but there's really no reason for it not to be moved looking at the geography of the region.

Oh, good God! I've found it! A proper Danish election graphic from 1887! Gives the result for the government (Højre) and the opposition (Venstre). Rather than doing shades, the artist seems to have decided to let colour the different constituencies in approximate fractions of green (Højre) and red (Venstre) to indicate who won (though the years have turned the once red colour into faded brown), and in a move that @Thande no doubt will absolutely love, he has decided to make the constituencies where a single candidate won by default by there being no opponent be striped, indicating implicit illegitimacy.

native.jpg

Getting the counties of Finland correct is a bit of a hell, seeing that both when Finland was governed from Stockholm, and when the Finns finally got to be in charge of their own affairs, administrators seems to have had an itch to reform local government boundaries every twenty-five years or so. The other Max informs me that this has to do with the uneven population growth and other changes in demography that Finland has experiences over the centuries, which would seem to imply that the reforms have, at least for the most part, been sensible and pragmatic.

During the slightly more than one hundred years that Finland was a Grand Duchy in the Russian Empire (curious isn't it by the way how Великий Князь translates into Grand Duke, while Князь translates to Prince, and the Russian word for Duke without any grandeur added to it is Герцог, which evidently is taken from the German Herzog; one would almost suspect that the English words for titles in the Russian peerage can be traced back to a shitty or inconsistent translator operating at some point in history), the government of the Tsar, infamous for their reluctance to do any administrative reform whatsoever, Finland's internal borders remained relatively static, and there exists a wealth of maps from that era.

I've decided to go with the county borders of Finland as they existed around 1800, which is possible to reconstruct from a little map archeaology, and only add changes if I can come up with a good explanation for it. As such it seems reasonable that Tavastehus and Nyland county is separated as per OTL into Tavastehus County and Nyland county, for instance. This gives pretty much the borders that @Ares96 himself came up with, and as far as I can see, I only am going to have to change two or maybe three of the constituencies that he so kindly worked out for me this past autumn.

And here is as of yet the only county I've been able to trace out so far, Åbo/Turku:

path841.png

I've decided to go with the county borders of Finland as they existed around 1800, which is possible to reconstruct from a little map archeaology, and only add changes if I can come up with a good explanation for it. As such it seems reasonable that Tavastehus and Nyland county is separated as per OTL into Tavastehus County and Nyland county, for instance. This gives pretty much the borders that @Ares96 himself came up with, and as far as I can see, I only am going to have to change two or maybe three of the constituencies that he so kindly worked out for me this past autumn.
The only changes I made from the OTL boundaries were to split Nyland from Tavastehus, as you say, and move a few divided parishes over entirely to one side or the other. In the case of Näsijärvi, it feels eminently reasonable that Tammerfors should not straddle a county boundary, and also Åbo and Björneborg is going to be much bigger than Tavastehus.

The only changes I made from the OTL boundaries were to split Nyland from Tavastehus, as you say, and move a few divided parishes over entirely to one side or the other. In the case of Näsijärvi, it feels eminently reasonable that Tammerfors should not straddle a county boundary, and also Åbo and Björneborg is going to be much bigger than Tavastehus.

Those are fair points. Mind sending over the map you used for that particularly nefarious border between Åbo and Tavastehus?

Faces of Nordic Reunification

askman1.png

A peculiar man, Henrik Quintilius Askman is Director-General of His Majesty’s Bureau for Peculiar Affairs.

His background is classified.

The details of his work are classified.

The last two people known to have attempted to obtain further information regarding H. Q. Askman have both found themselves beaten up by drunken Finns under mysterious circumstances.

H. Q. Askman wants you to know that he would hate it if you were to find yourself beaten up by drunken Finns under mysterious circumstances.

JohnChristmas.png

Supreme Great Admiral-General of Her Danish Majesty’s Royal Navy, Knight of the Order of the Elephant, Commander of the Order of the Dannebrog, nine-time winner of the Royal Medal for Bravery, the Stormbringer of Amager, the Saviour of Visby, the Victor of St. Petersburg, the single most decorated soldier in the history of the Danish armed forces, John Christmas.

Specks of dust refuse to fall on his uniform out of respect.

They sell toy soldiers of his likeness in the shops on the streets of Copenhagen, and at Yule time season, they have sold out for the past elevent years.

Sorry ladies, he is married… to his country and its glorious navy.

There have been confirmed reports that even enemy combattants are struck by an urge to salute him upon seeing his visage.

He has never, ever, been sick at sea.

If you were ever to try to make fun of his name, everyone present would think that you were making a fool of yourself, your only saving grace would be that he would generously crack a smile and be mildly amused, and the whole discussion is in itself irrelevant, because you would never think to do such a thing if you were ever to be honoured to be in his presence.

ValtoHärkönen.png

Valto Härkönen
is one of the richest men in Åbo, and consequently, one of the most hated. He has made his wealth as a businessman, importing various things from East India, such as salpetre, tea, silk, dyes, and of course, spice. He hasn't made himself popular among Finns trying to act as if he's part of the Swedish-speaking aristocracy. He hasn't made himself popular among the Swedes being a Finnish-speaking Finn by birth. Nobody likes him at all for hiring cheap Russian labour to work his warehouses.

As a man of not inconsiderable wealth and influence, it is well-known that he is desirous of a career in politics. So far, neither Hats nor Caps have been particularly keen to court him to stand as a candidate for electoral office.

Last edited:

GabrielOxenstierna.png

The name's Oxenstierna... Gabriel Oxenstierna. Special agent for the Bureau of Peculiar Affairs, codename-...

What do you mean you've never heard of the Bureau of Peculiar Affairs? We're the secret service of the Kingdom of Sweden, operating at the very-...

Accreditation and identification...? Sure, I can give you that, if it'll satisfy you...!

See! There! the BPA is a totally legit and existing organization, and I am in His Majesty's Service as-...

What do you mean it looks fake?! I'll have you know that this badge is an alloy with a secret chemical composition that only-...

Oh for fuck's sake-...!

What's the point of being a secret agent if the agency you work for so is damned secret that nobody knows that it even exists in the first place?!

Back