• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Review: The Red Effect

Meadow

I am a knight and I'm building a train
Administrator
Sea Lion Press staff
Published by SLP
Pronouns
he/him
Read @Coiler's review of The Red Effect here, and discuss it in this thread.

I do wonder why these types of books slightly change the names of historical characters. I've seen it before and it grates, primarily because I've no idea why it's done - surely the authors can't fear legal action?

It's as if @Meadow had written Agent Lavender about 'Harry White' and his escape being aided by 'Jerry Copperbarn'

Last edited:
I do wonder why these types of books slightly change the names of historical characters. I've seen it before and it grates, primarily because I've no idea why it's done - surely the authors can't fear legal action?

It's as if @Meadow had written Agent Lavender about 'Harry White' and his escape being added by 'Jerry Copperbarn'
I wonder if they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. If you create a wholly fictional character, you have to introduce them to the audience and explain who they are and what they're like. If you use a historical character, you have to be somewhat faithful to how they acted in real life. But if you use a real person with the serial numbers filed off, the audience already knows who they are, and you can have them act differently from their OTL counterpart. At least in theory, in practice it's just bad writing.

Back